Logic Games for Dummies Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jim-green

Silver

Logic Games for Dummies

Post by jim-green » Mon May 02, 2011 1:20 pm

Has anyone read the book Logic Games for Dummies by Mark Zegarelli? I picked it up from the library today. The 1st chapter is confusing where he introduces his terminology, akin to a cards game. He calls the variables chips, the setup the game board, etc. With only a month to go before the June 2011 LST, I'm wondering if it's worth it even to skim the book.

darkatillam2

Bronze

Re: Logic Games for Dummies

Post by darkatillam2 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:26 pm

get the Logic Games Bible from Powerscore. End thread.

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Mon May 02, 2011 1:28 pm

darkatillam2 wrote:get the Logic Games Bible from Powerscore. End thread.
Thanks, I've read that and done its problems.

tehrocstar

Bronze

Post by tehrocstar » Mon May 02, 2011 1:34 pm

I skimmed through it, they use some tactics that other books say to avoid. For example, he uses a grid for games. I've read the reasoning for and against using a grid, and personally I wouldn't use a grid. With a month left, I would just focus on refining your skills, unless you're getting a ton wrong.

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Mon May 02, 2011 1:40 pm

If you're looking for something else, I could say a lot of positive things about the Examkrackers Logic Games book.

It also uses a grid system, but I find that quite helpful. IMHO, shifting to a grid system has saved me a minute or two on most LG sections. I still run out of time more often than not, but that's because I'm stupid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Mon May 02, 2011 1:52 pm

Don't confuse yourself with different systems for solving LG problems. If you read Powerscore, you won't get any benefit from mixing its system with any other; if fact, you will almost certainly screw yourself up. Powerscore's system is almost unanimously hailed as the most powerful, comprehensive and easy to learn/use. Don't even bother with anything else.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Mon May 02, 2011 2:38 pm

Powerscore also has the supplemental Logic Games workbook that I would recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/PowerScore-Logic- ... 0980178282

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Wed May 04, 2011 10:21 am

Thanks to all who replied. I skimmed the grid method and it is good, but tough to understand quickly. I'll stick to PS, but use some of the games in the Dummies book for extra practice. Thanks again!

accuratesite2020

New

Post by accuratesite2020 » Thu May 05, 2011 4:05 am

One Word: Garbage. Light it on Fire. Stick to the Powerscore Logic Games Bible and nothing else. I was -17 for a solid 4 weeks. After 2 weeks getting through PS LG Bible and doing every game at least 3x, I am a solid -3 everytime.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

accuratesite2020

New

Post by accuratesite2020 » Thu May 05, 2011 4:07 am

Also, don't use any games from "dummies" or you will be a dummy. They don't use "real" LSAT games. They are mock games that are similar. Only use real released LSAT logic games. Again, add it to the bookshelf or give it away to someone.

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Sun May 08, 2011 5:35 pm

Thanks to All who told me not to read this book. I read the book Logic Games For Dummies yesterday, and they say "A unless B" means "A--->~B". I guess the book is really for dummies! DO NOT READ IT ON PAIN OF DEATH!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun May 08, 2011 5:45 pm

I read LG for Dummies because I had a free copy. (If it didn't work, I was planning on getting the LG Bible later.) I went from -8 or so to -1 on the real LG section in October. I, personally, liked using a grid because I could set one up in about 2 seconds flat and it reduced the amount of stuff I had to hold in my head, so I could come back to incomplete problems later without having to re-learn the rules. YMMV.

Palavra

New

Post by Palavra » Sun May 08, 2011 5:51 pm

+1

accuratesite2020 wrote:Also, don't use any games from "dummies" or you will be a dummy. They don't use "real" LSAT games. They are mock games that are similar. Only use real released LSAT logic games. Again, add it to the bookshelf or give it away to someone.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”