krasivaya

Postby krasivaya » Mon May 02, 2011 5:01 am

Last edited by krasivaya on Mon May 09, 2011 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

JamMasterJ

Re: How much extra time should I request on the LSAST?

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon May 02, 2011 10:54 am

Good choice. Using a scribe would be next to impossible wit this test. I think that the amount of time that you request will depend on how severe the LSAC thinks your issue is. I don't know what the greates amount of time they'd allow is, but I think that if you asked for 45-50 min per section and maybe a little more for the essay, that you'd be fine.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:13 am

krasivaya wrote:Hey all,

So I have a disability that makes it hard to use my hands. I usually use scribes, but I decided to forgo the awkward social dynamic during the LSAT and write it out myself. Obviously, I'll need some extra time. I have to get my disability documentation in now but I haven't started prepping and won't until July so I'm not sure what amount would be adequate. Basically, I want to have enough time to think the questions out and rest my wrists but not so much that I'm sitting there bored waiting for the next section. Pretty sure I'd either burn out or pass out doing that.

So...

1) How much time should I request? Double? Triple? How long do you take on your best untimed PT's? They don't offer untimed tests sadly.

2) If you finish a section early, can you move on?

Thanks all!

I think it is silly to care about the social dynamic. This is the most important test you'll ever take. If you're concerned about sociability, keep in mind that 10 points will give u unfathomed social status.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon May 02, 2011 11:41 am

flexityflex86 wrote:

So I have a disability that makes it hard to use my hands. I usually use scribes, but I decided to forgo the awkward social dynamic during the LSAT and write it out myself. Obviously, I'll need some extra time. I have to get my disability documentation in now but I haven't started prepping and won't until July so I'm not sure what amount would be adequate. Basically, I want to have enough time to think the questions out and rest my wrists but not so much that I'm sitting there bored waiting for the next section. Pretty sure I'd either burn out or pass out doing that.

So...

1) How much time should I request? Double? Triple? How long do you take on your best untimed PT's? They don't offer untimed tests sadly.

Thanks all!

I think it is silly to care about the social dynamic. This is the most important test you'll ever take. If you're concerned about sociability, keep in mind that 10 points will give u unfathomed social status.

and 70 virgins in heaven... This is credited

krasivaya

Postby krasivaya » Mon May 02, 2011 12:01 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:

So...

Thanks all!

Haha I totally see where you're coming from, however the social dynamic can actually be a detriment to my speed and accuracy. It's profoundly awkward sitting there with scribes telling them what to write and it gets even worse when they consistently get things wrong and you have to politely correct them. It's sooo distracting. It was a difficult decision weighing out whether stressing my hands would be worse than sitting there for hours giving directions to a stranger and killing the hands won out. Plus, I think soo much better alone anyway!

krasivaya

Postby krasivaya » Mon May 02, 2011 12:02 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:and 70 virgins in heaven... This is credited

Yeaaaah, this isn't exactly an attractive offer for a girl. Teaching 70 guys how to do it does not seem heavenly in the least.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:09 pm

krasivaya wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:and 70 virgins in heaven... This is credited

Yeaaaah, this isn't exactly an attractive offer for a girl. Teaching 70 guys how to do it does not seem heavenly in the least.

Hey, 70 virgins is not so great for a man either. Virgins are normally sooooo needy, and think they're doing you some huge favor. also, it is rare to see a really attractive virgin who is in her mid-20s. there seems to be a link between potential partners, and virginity.

also, about the scribes:

they aren't going to put you in a normal room.

as for it being socially awkward to correct others, i hear you. i personally would always feel uncomfortable when other people serve me - like when a client/coworker takes my trash for me or my girlfriend serves me dinner. what i would remember, though, is that these people are specifically there to serve you. but yes, i can see how time wise it would be weird.

this might sound odd, but i think it is imperative you start taking practice tests with scribes to stimulate the experience. do u have friends u can use? maybe hire someone off of craigslist for $15/hour.

JamMasterJ

Re: How much extra time should I request on the LSAT?

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon May 02, 2011 12:21 pm

I think that if you used scribes you would have to be put in a room alone, because that would be really distracting for other test takers

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:24 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:I think that if you used scribes you would have to be put in a room alone, because that would be really distracting for other test takers

idk where you took the test, and i don't have sour grapes as i still did well, but you're assuming the test centers are run professionally.

i would not be surprised if the test center doubled the proctor as a scribe to save $.

krasivaya

Postby krasivaya » Mon May 02, 2011 12:29 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:I think that if you used scribes you would have to be put in a room alone, because that would be really distracting for other test takers

idk where you took the test, and i don't have sour grapes as i still did well, but you're assuming the test centers are run professionally.

i would not be surprised if the test center doubled the proctor as a scribe to save $.

Haha sadly I could totally see that happening. But no, I'm requesting a special room - they'll have to give me on either way because of the extended time I'll be receiving. I might just have to pay a bit extra for a proctor.

What's nice is I'll probably be able to get a single room even if I forgo a scribe which will be great. All these years of isolated test rooms has pretty much made me ADD when it comes to outside sound during a test xD

flexity: I thought they were magical pretty virgins? Kind of like mermaids? Totally having to rethink this whole thing now.

YaSvoboden

Postby YaSvoboden » Mon May 02, 2011 2:50 pm

I say try and find a scribe that understands logic games really well. "Diagram this and make some inferences."

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue May 03, 2011 10:21 pm

krasivaya wrote:Haha sadly I could totally see that happening. But no, I'm requesting a special room - they'll have to give me on either way because of the extended time I'll be receiving. I might just have to pay a bit extra for a proctor.

What's nice is I'll probably be able to get a single room even if I forgo a scribe which will be great. All these years of isolated test rooms has pretty much made me ADD when it comes to outside sound during a test xD

flexity: I thought they were magical pretty virgins? Kind of like mermaids? Totally having to rethink this whole thing now.

That would be so nice to be able to take the exam alone

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Tue May 03, 2011 10:56 pm

I think you're correct in not using a scribe. For logic games it would just be too difficult or time consuming to describe to the other person the diagrams that you need to make.

Jimsta

Postby Jimsta » Tue May 03, 2011 11:31 pm

If you end up using a scribe, you need to use a scribe familiar with the LSAT, specifically diagramming logic games. You’ll understand this more as you begin your preparation. Perhaps you could take a practice test with the scribe before the actual test. Best of luck!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”