Undergraduate Classes that might help for LSAT

Undergraduate Classes that might help for LSAT

Postby 512 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:32 am

Last edited by 512 on Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

expat17

Re: Undergraduate Classes that might help for LSAT

Postby expat17 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:53 am

definitely take a two sequence logic class (both semesters / terms).

some universities offer linguistic / rhetoric classes that would be useful for arguments and RC, otherwise just take enough classes that engage you with reading and critical thinking (social sciences / humanities).

YaSvoboden

Postby YaSvoboden » Mon May 02, 2011 4:55 am

Tax classes. Probably not worth the accounting prereqs for you, but I found a quick connection between the games and tax law and I think that it has helped me so far. It is also not a bad idea to try and understand tax if you are planning on making 160k+ someday.

krasivaya

Postby krasivaya » Mon May 02, 2011 5:04 am

Obviously, don't take undergrad courses to prep for the LSAT that could potentially harm your GPA. That's why I opted against logic, 5% A's helll no.

Postby 512 » Mon May 02, 2011 5:15 am

Last edited by 512 on Mon May 02, 2016 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

krasivaya

Postby krasivaya » Mon May 02, 2011 5:21 am

512 wrote:@krasivaya
haha 5% A's sounds brutal... good thing it's like 20+% here

Ten bucks you go to UT Austin, amirite?

*epic creeper skills*

YaSvoboden

Postby YaSvoboden » Mon May 02, 2011 5:42 am

512 wrote:@YaSvoboden
Yeah, I suppose it wouldn't be worth going through the prereq's, but could you describe the "quick connection" you're referring to? I haven't got the slightest clue what tax law is about, so I'm not sure how it'd relate to the games. Just curious :P

I agree with the Russian beauty, do not harm your GPA for an LSAT class.

In tax there are a lot of conditionals, classifying someone as a dependent reminds me of an in/out game. There are ordering rules all over the place that remind me of linear games. I don't think it's worth the work just for the help on the LSAT, but I actually find it quite interesting and it helped me out.

Also, it seems like you have some time left in undergrad, take a 1 or 2 credit class for fun every semester if you can. Picking up extra skills and easy A's is something I would recommend to anyone in college.

expat17

Postby expat17 » Mon May 02, 2011 6:28 am

i would say you actually should take logic classes - if your university is low on A's in this class and you think it might harm your GPA (which you want to avoid at all costs), take the classes Pass / No Pass. I thought they were that worth it.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Mon May 02, 2011 8:55 am

I would suggest anything that makes you read difficult material with arguments in it and make sense of / evaluate the arguments - for the 2 LR sections, but also for RC. I think applied ethics can be helpful, if a little boring - especially as a lot of LR questions use normative concepts.

Some universities have applied ethics courses that certain majors are required to take (majors in medical, engineering, or business programs usually). Since the students are required to take them, and often don't have a strong humanities background, the standard for an A is fairly low.

I worry that some humanities classes lead students to think about the material they cover in ways that differ from the LSAT, and might do more harm than good (I'm thinking particularly about some classes offered in English and comparative literature departments). The LSAT focuses on the structure and soundness of arguments, not the various other methods that are sometimes used in the humanities to convince (or confuse) the reader.

Postby 512 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:06 pm

Last edited by 512 on Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krasivaya

Postby krasivaya » Mon May 02, 2011 4:19 pm

512 wrote:
krasivaya wrote:
512 wrote:@krasivaya
haha 5% A's sounds brutal... good thing it's like 20+% here

Ten bucks you go to UT Austin, amirite?

*epic creeper skills*

epic creeper skills indeed :shock: ... what gave it away LOL

Hahaha I go to UT too, the 512 gave it away ;) You must've gotten lucky with the logic professors, when I was thinking about signing up for my tools req the grade distributions were all abysmal.

I don't know what 1 to 2 credit classes you're taking other than PE. I can't find any with small workloads!

Postby 512 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:23 pm

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue May 03, 2011 1:33 am

I've recommended this to a few people recently to good results.

See if you can get into a Survey of Scientific Literature class (or something similar). The one offered at BC consisted of reading and discussing articles we found interesting in scientific literature. It was a lighter class and very auditable. A lot of non-science majors have trouble with the more technical science RC passages, and having a semester of reading these articles might demystify them enough to give you a few points on the LSAT. It will also give you experience reading articles in which you lack expertise, which is a good skill to have for law school and beyond.

Postby 512 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:11 pm

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Tue May 03, 2011 12:50 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Some universities have applied ethics courses that certain majors are required to take (majors in medical, engineering, or business programs usually). Since the students are required to take them, and often don't have a strong humanities background, the standard for an A is fairly low.

Definitely agree, ethics classes are interesting, fun and you'll get really comfortable applying and inferring principles that are at work in a variety of situations.

Unfortunately, I also agree that some less rigorous majors with professors who still cling to post-modern or relativist worldviews can screw with people's reasoning skills. Don't know how common these are but I remember hearing about a sociology professor at my undergrad who believed and taught that the truth of all statements is relative; e.g., 2 + 2 may equal 4 in certain cultures where rationality is privileged above other modes of thought, but other interpretations may be equally valid. This kind of thinking is a ticket straight to a 135 on the LSAT.

stephan75th

Postby stephan75th » Tue May 03, 2011 12:54 pm

Since you're a philosophy major, take symbolic logic. Even if you don't get an A in this class, it should help your grades in other classes and it will definitely help on the LSAT.

albusdumbledore

Postby albusdumbledore » Tue May 03, 2011 12:59 pm

This is going to sound strange, but give Discrete Math a thought. You'll do some logic stuff in there (I found there was actually some overlap with my formal logic classes in Philosophy), and it is all very much the same type of analytical reasoning you'll encounter on the LSAT. Set Theory, Combinatorics, Graphy Theory, Probability. I don't think the actual material in the class will help per se, but it employs much of the same type of heavily logic-based reasoning that the LSAT requires.

Postby 512 » Tue May 03, 2011 3:36 pm

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Tue May 03, 2011 4:45 pm

suspicious android wrote:Don't know how common these are but I remember hearing about a sociology professor at my undergrad who believed and taught that the truth of all statements is relative; e.g., 2 + 2 may equal 4 in certain cultures where rationality is privileged above other modes of thought, but other interpretations may be equally valid. This kind of thinking is a ticket straight to a 135 on the LSAT.

LOL - I had EXACTLY that argument with a sociology undergrad once. Pointing out that, on their assumptions, no one can be mistaken and words have no fixed meanings doesn’t help - nor does pointing out that if words have no fixed meanings none of us would be able to function in this world.

Definitely not helpful for the LSAT, since the LSAT reinforces hegemonic, imperialist systems of thought by privileging rational discourse.

DaisyLafayette

Postby DaisyLafayette » Wed May 18, 2011 2:14 pm

Take a stats class- i actually found a past lsat question in a stats homework question- different answer choices of course but the chapter contained the reasoning behind it.

As someone mentioned, an analysis of scientific writing would be great. i wish i had checked to see if ucla had this before my last semester

drs36

Postby drs36 » Wed May 18, 2011 2:30 pm

Agree with the scientific writing. I took Intro to Research, which was not so light, and it was a req for my major. We read a ton of research articles, so I got really used to that kind of reading. The lectures were all about finding errors/flaws in the arguments/strategies used in the articles and we were pounded with that. I'd definitely recommend something like that as it definitely helped my RC section.

cbow125

Postby cbow125 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:15 pm

I know this is an old topic, but I am curious about something. After teaching public school for a good amount of time, I decided I am going to take the LSAT and see if I am worthy to attend Law School. My LSAT study plan consists of not working and taking graduate level classes for one semester, since I have been out of school for so long, while preparing for the test. I chose to study history since I studied it as an undergraduate. While I know others in this thread mentioned philosophical/mathematical type of classes as the most beneficial for LSAT study, I am more of a liberal arts guy. Other sources mentioned English as a helpful discipline for LSAT preparation, which I considered, but after teaching it on the secondary level I do not think I could do that! :lol: However, my history department offers a course that deals with Latin Literature from the 2nd century B.C. to the 2nd century A.D. Though I am not just thrilled about taking it, I think it might offer some solid LSAT study material since philosophy is based on Greek and Roman Literature. Then again I could be wrong, as I just came up with this idea and am new to the LSAT prep. I would be curious to know what other people think, and any help with this would be appreciated.

Ave

Postby Ave » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:48 pm

cbow125 wrote:I know this is an old topic, but I am curious about something. After teaching public school for a good amount of time, I decided I am going to take the LSAT and see if I am worthy to attend Law School. My LSAT study plan consists of not working and taking graduate level classes for one semester, since I have been out of school for so long, while preparing for the test. I chose to study history since I studied it as an undergraduate. While I know others in this thread mentioned philosophical/mathematical type of classes as the most beneficial for LSAT study, I am more of a liberal arts guy. Other sources mentioned English as a helpful discipline for LSAT preparation, which I considered, but after teaching it on the secondary level I do not think I could do that! :lol: However, my history department offers a course that deals with Latin Literature from the 2nd century B.C. to the 2nd century A.D. Though I am not just thrilled about taking it, I think it might offer some solid LSAT study material since philosophy is based on Greek and Roman Literature. Then again I could be wrong, as I just came up with this idea and am new to the LSAT prep. I would be curious to know what other people think, and any help with this would be appreciated.

Philosophy is liberal arts and it's not based solely on Greek and Roman Literature, not to mention you won't be studying anything substantially philosophical with that time period (or any time period for that matter). Roman Philosophy is largely less interesting than Greek Philosophy, and neither will actually help with LSAT.

Just use the LSAT prep to study for LSAT. Quite simple, actually.

Malakai

Postby Malakai » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:26 pm

expat17 wrote:definitely take a two sequence logic class (both semesters / terms)

Do this, or a similar option.

My alma mater offers a 3-sequence logic class (due to the quarter-based academic calendar), and while some students (who are also aspiring 1L's) only take the first and/or second in the sequence, they still feel that it had improved/benefitted their logic skills.

Mind you, these are fellow aspiring law students/friends who had PREVIOUSLY taken an LSAT course prior to taking one or more of these logic courses. While I admit my example isn't completely representative, and may also be subjective depending on one's academic institution, it still sheds some additional light on logic courses being of potential benefit to future LSAT takers.

Regarding those who mention pursuing this route as potentially 'harming your GPA' they may be making some pretty one-sided assumptions. Like two sides of the same coin, one may in fact do very well, and some may fail to take this into consideration when making their points against taking the aforementioned logic courses. To illustrate, using the same type of premises conversely, one would be able to make the recommendation for OR against this recommendation (what if you end up doing well and BOOSTING your GPA?). [No ad hominem intended here, since i've probably just been studying for too long]

More importantly, keep in mind that the outcome of your grade certainly isn't an inevitable letter/score that many here could reasonably predict. How well you do in a particular class will more than likely be on your own terms/ability and relative to your peers. Without that information, don't let anyone completely shoot down the idea of taking a logic course unless they're representatively capable of speaking about the course and the typical composition of its students at your particular school. Even try asking former students of those courses at your school.

TL;DR: If it isn't too outside of your major + you feel like it would help, and are committed to trying your best - then it sounds like you have already made up your mind.

ZGr88n

Postby ZGr88n » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:35 pm

I currently attend SIU-C, and luckily they offer a Phil. course that is three credit hours, and is nothing but LSAT prep, it's been quite helpful.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”