What should be the max number of PT's taken per week?

Ocean64

What should be the max number of PT's taken per week?

Postby Ocean64 » Sun May 01, 2011 6:26 am

In light of the fact that there is about a month to go till the June LSAT I got a few questions for you guys,

1)Is it possible or advisable to take a full 5 section PT (timed) everyday until right before test day?

2)What do you guys think should be the maximum number of PTs taken in a week so that one can learn the most out of every PT?

3)If your aim is to take 30 full length 5 section PTs (timed) before your test day, how many days do you guys think these PTs should be spread over if one does not wish to burn out?

I'm currently trying to study as many hours a day as i can stomach before getting bored or distracted and for the next month I wont be working much so i can focus on studying.

any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated!

incompetentia

Re: What should be the max number of PT's taken per week?

Postby incompetentia » Sun May 01, 2011 11:38 am

Ocean64 wrote:1)Is it possible or advisable to take a full 5 section PT (timed) everyday until right before test day?

Burnout. Hell no.

2)What do you guys think should be the maximum number of PTs taken in a week so that one can learn the most out of every PT?

I could see doing 4 a week, but not every week. I like 3 as an average number.

3)If your aim is to take 30 full length 5 section PTs (timed) before your test day, how many days do you guys think these PTs should be spread over if one does not wish to burn out?

At least 2 months. However (and this goes for the entire framework of your questioning), everybody studies differently, and you really have to take it on feel. If you're going to plan out in detail a study schedule, you should be 100% ready to break that schedule, as you might end up studying better with more or less PTing.

I feel like I have a fairly high tolerance for repeatedly giving it a go with practice tests, and I think I averaged out to doing just under 3 a week (and still managed to nearly kill myself with burnout a week before the test).

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Sun May 01, 2011 12:55 pm

Ocean64 wrote:1)Is it possible or advisable to take a full 5 section PT (timed) everyday until right before test day?

Possible, yes. Advisable, no.

Timed? 1, maybe 2 if your pacing sucks. Taking timed preptests is waaaay overrated IMHO.

3)If your aim is to take 30 full length 5 section PTs (timed) before your test day

Do you sleep on rusty nails too? Why on earth would you want to do that to yourself?

how many days do you guys think these PTs should be spread over if one does not wish to burn out?

I'm currently trying to study as many hours a day as i can stomach before getting bored or distracted and for the next month I wont be working much so i can focus on studying.

My thoughts are you're probably focused too much on quantity and not enough on quality (both in hours and in amount of material). Can you 175+ an untimed test yet? (i.e. taking all day until you think you have every answer right.) If not, slow down and work on improving your accuracy.

Ocean64

Postby Ocean64 » Sun May 01, 2011 5:33 pm

I know it sounds a little crazy, but the one tip that most people I've talked to had in common was that "to take as many timed PT's as you can before the test."...and i can see that helping my pacing and speed, as they are my weakness, but i certainly don't wanna burnout or blow through PT's, because i want to get as much as possible out of every one.

is this for real or just kidding?

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun May 01, 2011 5:41 pm

Ocean64 wrote:In light of the fact that there is about a month to go till the June LSAT I got a few questions for you guys,

1)Is it possible or advisable to take a full 5 section PT (timed) everyday until right before test day?

Here was my study schedule: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=112107. It worked out pretty good for me, although I did drop quite a bit from my PT average.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sun May 01, 2011 6:39 pm

Ocean64 wrote:

is this for real or just kidding?

If you do 30 tests * 1 test/week, you get 30 weeks, which is 210 days. I think that's what he meant.
Ocean64 wrote:I know it sounds a little crazy, but the one tip that most people I've talked to had in common was that "to take as many timed PT's as you can before the test."...and i can see that helping my pacing and speed, as they are my weakness, but i certainly don't wanna burnout or blow through PT's, because i want to get as much as possible out of every one.

What they mean by "take as many as you can" is just that you should take a lot, not that you should take one every day.

Okay, I'm going to take a fairly neutral point of view here on the grounds that if you're spending 5+ hours per day on LSAT, you could take a test per day and review it carefully. The main thing is not to blow past lots of tests without carefully reviewing them, reworking problems, considering your timing and strategic decisions, etc.

Usually, however, I recommend no more than 1 test every other day, so that you take a test on one day, go over it the next and do some timed or untimed practice afterwards. And you probably need a day off. So that would come out to 3 tests per week as my maximum recommended.

If you're doing a LOT of LSAT, regardless of the exact number, you should watch your performance and pay attention to how you feel really carefully, because as soon as you start thinking that you might be burned out, you want to take a short (few days) break.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Sun May 01, 2011 9:20 pm

EarlCat wrote:[Can you 175+ an untimed test yet? (i.e. taking all day until you think you have every answer right.) If not, slow down and work on improving your accuracy.
You are absolutely correct. I wish I knew this last year, so I didn't have to retake this year. Listen to EarlCat.

tiniestdancer7

Postby tiniestdancer7 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:33 pm

hmm maybe my two/week should be upped

Ocean64

Postby Ocean64 » Sun May 01, 2011 11:14 pm

EarlCat wrote: Can you 175+ an untimed test yet?

Yes, my untimed PT's have been 170+ for a while now, speed is my achilles heel.

Sarah172

Postby Sarah172 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:24 am

jim-green wrote:
EarlCat wrote:[Can you 175+ an untimed test yet? (i.e. taking all day until you think you have every answer right.) If not, slow down and work on improving your accuracy.
You are absolutely correct. I wish I knew this last year, so I didn't have to retake this year. Listen to EarlCat.

Great idea!

I read on some other site that one good practice test is probably worth 5 poor quickly-taken tests.

I think you should be selective with your your timed-test energy.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”