Poor Diagnostic! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
glewz

Silver

Re: Poor Diagnostic!

Post by glewz » Mon May 02, 2011 3:36 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
glewz wrote:OP already has testmasters, PS bibles would be repetitive and probably detrimental given that OP is already making attempts to learn a set of methods.
This is simply NOT true. When I first took the test, I took the TM class, sort of bulshitted through it, and ended up getting the same score the day of as I did on my first diagnostic (aka: NO improvement). I am re-taking now, and when I was studying I used the PS Bibles. The LR Bible increased my average LR score from -3/5 to -1/-2. SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT.

To qualify this statement: I started out with a 168, so our situations are slightly different. Nevertheless, I don't think it's repetitive OR detrimental to invest in the bibles. The most important part of this whole thing is that YOU MUST PUT IN WORK, OP. Regardless of your diagnostic score, you will see NOTHING positive happen if you don't put in the work. My first time around, I had 0 improvement because I didn't work at all. Now, I'm putting in about 5x the work I did the first time, and my PT average has jumped significantly (I'd say 5-6 points, probably--I was averaging a little lower than my cold diagnostic my first time around).
Hmm, I've looked through the PS bibles, and I don't find them drastically different from the TM course, which is why I said that it'd be repetitive. The reason I said the Bibles would be detrimental is because OP is aiming for the June test and already has enough on his/her hands; sorting through which methods from the two companies work for him/her would be extremely taxing.

If OP is revising his/her schedule & rescheduling for October, then yeah, no harm in looking at the PS strategies as well, given that OP would have the time to do so.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Mon May 02, 2011 3:39 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
glewz wrote:OP already has testmasters, PS bibles would be repetitive and probably detrimental given that OP is already making attempts to learn a set of methods.
This is simply NOT true. When I first took the test, I took the TM class, sort of bulshitted through it, and ended up getting the same score the day of as I did on my first diagnostic (aka: NO improvement). I am re-taking now, and when I was studying I used the PS Bibles. The LR Bible increased my average LR score from -3/5 to -1/-2. SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT.

To qualify this statement: I started out with a 168, so our situations are slightly completely different. Nevertheless, I don't think it's repetitive OR detrimental to invest in the bibles. The most important part of this whole thing is that YOU MUST PUT IN WORK, OP. Regardless of your diagnostic score, you will see NOTHING positive happen if you don't put in the work. My first time around, I had 0 improvement because I didn't work at all. Now, I'm putting in about 5x the work I did the first time, and my PT average has jumped significantly (I'd say 5-6 points, probably--I was averaging a little lower than my cold diagnostic my first time around).
FTFY

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon May 02, 2011 4:17 pm

glewz wrote:Hmm, I've looked through the PS bibles, and I don't find them drastically different from the TM course, which is why I said that it'd be repetitive. The reason I said the Bibles would be detrimental is because OP is aiming for the June test and already has enough on his/her hands; sorting through which methods from the two companies work for him/her would be extremely taxing.
If OP is revising his/her schedule & rescheduling for October, then yeah, no harm in looking at the PS strategies as well, given that OP would have the time to do so.
Agreed that OP won't have time if they're doing June, but I REALLY don't think OP should take the June test...it'll be a waste of time/energy, and if he scores low it will reflect poorly (ie, if he needs to write an LSAT addendum explaining a significant score jump).
yngblkgifted wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:our situations are slightly completely different.
FTFY
Yeah, in the more general scope of things that's true, but for the point I wanted to make (that OP's not going to improve at all if he doesn't put in the effort) I think the difference in score isn't a big deal. No matter where you start out, if you want to improve you need to go above and beyond. You can't expect to improve even a single point if you don't do the HW/put in the effort.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Mon May 02, 2011 5:10 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
glewz wrote:Hmm, I've looked through the PS bibles, and I don't find them drastically different from the TM course, which is why I said that it'd be repetitive. The reason I said the Bibles would be detrimental is because OP is aiming for the June test and already has enough on his/her hands; sorting through which methods from the two companies work for him/her would be extremely taxing.
Agreed that OP won't have time if they're doing June, but I REALLY don't think OP should take the June test...it'll be a waste of time/energy, and if he scores low it will reflect poorly (ie, if he needs to write an LSAT addendum explaining a significant score jump).
yngblkgifted wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:our situations are slightly completely different.
FTFY
Yeah, in the more general scope of things that's true, but for the point I wanted to make (that OP's not going to improve at all if he doesn't put in the effort) I think the difference in score isn't a big deal. No matter where you start out, if you want to improve you need to go above and beyond. You can't expect to improve even a single point if you don't do the HW/put in the effort.
Agreed. I just read that one sentence and lol'ed to myself.

Op- I went up 15 points from my diagnostic and at no point did I even consider blowing off my homework/ practice tests. It really comes down to how badly you want this.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Mon May 02, 2011 5:50 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
That's exactly what I advised him above - if he hasn't been taking good notes, Bibles might be a good idea, but I honestly don't think the bibles are as good as the TM class.

Anyways, to each his/her own (on the TM v PS debate)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon May 02, 2011 7:32 pm

PS is better for the work alone types. TM or MH or something non-mainstream is better for those who need classroom experience. The which is better debate resides on your learning style. Did you sleep through math then go home and read the lesson and do well on homework? If so, do Powerscore. But if you had to go in for tutoring or something, TM would be a good idea... Though my example is a little off, this is just a general idea.

AhoyHoy79

New

Post by AhoyHoy79 » Mon May 02, 2011 9:51 pm

I got a 3.0 from a Southern California UC school. I tell you, I agree with all assessments here regarding putting forth the work. I think with working full-time (by the way, I work as an underwriter so I won't end up at 7/11... :wink: ), I greatly underestimated the time and effort that was needed.

I will determine my future law school fate AFTER I give this all I got and see where I stand in terms of what score I get on the LSAT. Until then, game on! :D

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:17 am

AhoyHoy79

New

Post by AhoyHoy79 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:46 am

acrossthelake wrote:
AhoyHoy79 wrote:I got a 3.0 from a Southern California UC school. I tell you, I agree with all assessments here regarding putting forth the work. I think with working full-time (by the way, I work as an underwriter so I won't end up at 7/11... :wink: ), I greatly underestimated the time and effort that was needed.

I will determine my future law school fate AFTER I give this all I got and see where I stand in terms of what score I get on the LSAT. Until then, game on! :D
With that GPA, unless you can nail 170+ (maybee 165+, but really 170+) don't go. Prepare for a long-haul, cuz a 40 point increase is incredibly rare and for the one person I ever heard of pulling it off, at *least* a year of dedicated daily effort.
I tell you, it's insurmountable! The schools I'm looking at (realistically) are Chapman, Whittier, Western State, and Loyola & Arizona State (my long shots). If I get a 160-165, then I think I can get in to one of those law schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”