Old vs. New - Beginners Prep

Should I start my prep with new or old test?

New test
No votes
Old test
100%

Total votes: 3

FlyingReality

Old vs. New - Beginners Prep

Postby FlyingReality » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:52 pm

Hello! I'm going to start my practice for the LSAT, and I'm buying the Powerscore Bible. I want to start slowly, so I will choose only one of the 10 Official LSAT PrepTests to begin.

I was wondering, however, which tests I should begin with. I understand the LSAT question format has changed, so I don't know if it would be better to learn the basic logic on the old tests, and then proceed to practice it on the most recent questions, or learn with the new questions and then practice on the older tests.

Also, if you know, which specific tests are crucial to practice to do well in the LSAT? (Do I really need to buy The Official LSAT SuperPrep for the February tests?)

I hope you can help me!

gggrra

Re: Old vs. New - Beginners Prep

Postby gggrra » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:20 pm

When are you taking the exam? How many PTs do you plan/expect to take?

If you only plan to take a few/several PTs before your actual exam, I would suggest taking the most recent ones because they are most representative of the type of test you will see on your test day.

If you plan to take most, if not all, of the PTs then I would start at the beginning so you can get acclimated to the test without using up the more recent tests.

I think for most people, more practice=higher score.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:26 pm

Use the older prep tests to learn and refine your techniques and section strategy. The test has a significant change in RC around pt 45 or so. The tests in the 50s and 60s are more current- and i think there is a trend towards more hybrid games and difficult questions ( but it could just be me) overall. I would save and use pts45- current( 62 i think is june but dont quote me on that) towards the end of your prep. for 5 section prep tests.( you will have to take apart some of the prep tests and randomly place them within the first 3 sections of a test to get your experimental section).

best of luck.

Kurst

Postby Kurst » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:33 am

FlyingReality

Postby FlyingReality » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:44 pm

gggrra wrote:When are you taking the exam? How many PTs do you plan/expect to take?

I expect to do at least 30 - 35 pts before October.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions ans explanations! :D

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”