Kaplan's LSAT Writing Workbook

vtoodler

Kaplan's LSAT Writing Workbook

Postby vtoodler » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:58 pm

Does anyone know anything about Kaplan's LSAT Writing Workbook?

I know that the writing section does not count towards the score, but I still want to write a good essay. Is this book helpful for it, or do you recommend any other books?

soj

Re: Kaplan's LSAT Writing Workbook

Postby soj » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:00 pm

If you want to practice writing (I don't know why you would unless you have no room to improve in the other sections), just do the writing section at the end of each PT. I don't think prepbooks will help--you should have gotten more than enough writing instruction in college (hell, high school, even).

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:08 pm

Okay, my first reaction was "wtf?" I'm trying not to leave it at that, but that's pretty much what I'm thinking.

Your essay just has to be vaguely logical and complete, without serious errors in mechanics or structure. (And that's if anyone even reads it, which I'd put at even odds at best.) If you can't already write that way, you need to take some remedial English classes, not work from a test prep book.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:10 pm

This book is primarily useful as evidence to be used in arguments against Kaplan being a reputable test prep company.

fastforward

Postby fastforward » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:15 pm

soj wrote:If you want to practice writing (I don't know why you would unless you have no room to improve in the other sections), just do the writing section at the end of each PT.

^This. Do not waste precious prep time on the essay unless you have serious deficits in this area.

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:18 pm

Kaplan puts a book out on this? Seriously? I wrote an essay about how they shouldn't build their planetarium near the city because pot heads may loiter on the property and the smoke may stain the lens of their telescope. (I did address the question in the prompt but spent way more time on this.) Nobody cares about this section so long as you write at least 3 coherent sentences.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:23 pm

Don't spend any more than a half-hour preparing for the writing section. As long as you don't draw nude pictures on the paper you'll be fine. You might still be fine even if you do.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:13 pm

blowhard wrote:Kaplan puts a book out on this? Seriously?

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:18 pm

Okay, I didn't believe that it really existed, so I checked: http://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-LSAT-Writi ... 1427798427

Favorite quote from the Product Description: "According to a recent survey, admissions officers evaluating applicants on the unscored Writing Sample section of the LSAT exam found unimpressive writing skills to be the biggest application killer."

Okay, let's see if we can interpret this. I think that the sentence is most literally construed as saying that they found that, of the admissions officers who evaluate the Writing Sample, unimpressive writing skills on the Writing Sample was the biggest application killer (out of anything in the application). Now, there are a few ways that this could be true (most notably, those mythical Yale profs who swear by the Writing Sample), but it seems more reasonable to assume that this wording is just slightly off. What they meant to say was that they found that, of the admissions officers who evaluate the Writing Sample, unimpressive writing skills on the Writing Sample were the biggest application killer that they found on the Writing Sample.

In other words, the worst thing that they found on the Writing Sample was poor writing skills. Well, um, yes, that seems true enough, if all but tautological.

EDIT: They also say that the book contains "[s]ample high-scoring Writing Sample essays," which leads me to believe that a moron wrote the description.

fastforward

Postby fastforward » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:12 pm

LSAT prep is very much like wedding planning: If you are determined to spend huge wads of cash, vendors are happily standing by to accommodate you.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:17 pm

tomwatts wrote:"According to a recent survey, admissions officers evaluating applicants on the unscored Writing Sample section of the LSAT exam found unimpressive writing skills to be the biggest application killer."

They lie. But even if it were true, that probably refers to the personal statement.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”