Help:LSAT Reading Section for Non-Native-English Speakers

Chong

Help:LSAT Reading Section for Non-Native-English Speakers

Postby Chong » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:28 am

Hi,

I'm not a native English speaker and I have trouble with the LSAT reading section: it always takes me 40 minutes if I were to finish it, which is 5 minutes more than the given time.

Here is my reading strategy:I start by reading the questions first, because I find it helpful as a guide; when I read the passage, I mentally translate most of it into my native language. However, I can't overcome the timing problem with this strategy.

I'm really hoping for any advice that might help me read faster; thanks a lot!

whymeohgodno

Re: Help:LSAT Reading Section for Non-Native-English Speakers

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:34 am

I never read the questions first. Try it that way. Just practice being able to recognize what they will most likely ask questions on.

Chong

Postby Chong » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:41 am

Thank you!

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:19 pm

Chong wrote:Hi,

I'm not a native English speaker and I have trouble with the LSAT reading section: it always takes me 40 minutes if I were to finish it, which is 5 minutes more than the given time.

Here is my reading strategy:I start by reading the questions first, because I find it helpful as a guide; when I read the passage, I mentally translate most of it into my native language. However, I can't overcome the timing problem with this strategy.

I'm really hoping for any advice that might help me read faster; thanks a lot!

yeah i am not a native english speaker and i sort of just accepted the fact that i can't read as fast as other readers and you know, do the best you can

Giraffe

Postby Giraffe » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:40 pm

first of all, FORGET that it is not your language, do not make up any excuses ("if I would be a native speaker I would score 170+"). That mindset helped me a lot. yes, sometimes you’ll come across the words you never seen before but those are challenging even for the native speakers.

i dont know why are you "mentally translating" everything. I always accepting info as given and cant even tell you if im thinking in english or in my native tongue (people are asking me about it constantly). I just sort of process everything as "objects" "ideas" and connections between them. I cant even spot the "translating" process even when I'm trying to.
If that doesn’t make sense, at least start working/thinking in English; you know it already, do not translate! I highly recommend you try that. I moved here after college and my english was very basic "british" version (so you cant blame it on "you lived here since high school thats why you are so cool"). every time I open RC i feel like I only understand half of the words and that sensation DOES NOT go away even that I'm now getting -2, -5 per section.

and try not to read the questions first for you are wasting you time doing it twice (27 questions * 5 seconds each = more than 2 minutes already saved!).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”