From 141 to the 160s. Now I need an extra push!

alicate

From 141 to the 160s. Now I need an extra push!

Postby alicate » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:24 am

Hello LSAT Prep Discussion Forum!
I have been reading posts for a few months and now I would like some feedback, advice and opinions on my situation.
I am taking the June LSAT. I started studying the first week of February. My cold diagnostic was a 141. LR -13 LR-14 RC -13 LG -12
Something around that.
Withing a few weeks and by limiting myself to doing a few other Preptests I was already at -7 -6 in LG. Since then LG has been sort of my strong section. I currently miss -2 or -3 but I think I can still improve.
LR was a real struggle at first but it has gotten better. I miss -6 -4 now. Now RC is the section where I don't see as much improvement. I can miss -10 to -5 per section.
I have currently been stuck PTing around 160-165 and I would like to improve my score a few more points bringing it closer to the high 160s at least.
I review my PTs extensively after I am done and I make many careless mistakes in LR. In RC I certainly think I do my best with the questions I get to.
English is my second language and this obviously makes RC tougher. Not because I'm not used to reading dense material but because I just read slowly and sometimes I get stuck on a word (I have to think twice about the meaning of certain words on occasion) . I have been studying by myself with the help of the Bibles, all the PTs I could find and reading advise on TLS.
Now my question is, where do I go from here? Should I try to work harder at LR and perfect LG? How can I improve my RC? I have not used any method or book. Should I use my time to improve RC by getting acquainted with a specific strategy?
Any specific advice for non native speakers?

incompetentia

Re: From 141 to the 160s. Now I need an extra push!

Postby incompetentia » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:26 am

RC for non-native speakers is a tough issue. Reading for speed is really the key here, and delegating your time efficiently.

How do you normally start out a passage? Do you read for detail the first time through? Do you skim? How long does it usually take before you look at the first question?

alicate

Re: From 141 to the 160s. Now I need an extra push!

Postby alicate » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:35 am

I have tried different startegies. Skimming the passage doesn't work for me. I get lost and miss all the global questions like inferences, author's tone and opinion. When I read closely it takes my around 4 minutes to finish a passage and I get more questions right, the problem is that i can't finish the last passage. What I have done in the past few PTs is to do the passages with the most questions first but I end up guessing at least 2 questions anyways.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”