Is it possible to jump to 170+ with an abysmal...

Blahh_Blahh

Is it possible to jump to 170+ with an abysmal...

Postby Blahh_Blahh » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:50 pm

cold diagnostic score of 152?

I just took my first diagnostic test (timed) and was really hoping to start off better than that. Granted I didn't know anything about how to solve the logic games (-16 in that section alone... LOL. Yikes), so I guess if I study how to actually solve them (I own the LG Bible, just haven't looked at it yet because I wanted to see where I stand first) maybe I'll have some chances of improving. But is a nearly 20-point jump possible?

Ideally I'm shooting for an LSAT score of 175+, but a 23-point jump seems unrealistic based on what people have previously told me. Maybe I'm just not that smart. Hah. I've heard you need to start at least at 160 in order to hope for a score like that.

Also I realize these sorts of questions are probably asked often, so I'm sorry, but I'm new here sooo I just thought instead of searching around I'd go ahead and post.

glitter178

Re: Is it possible to jump to 170+ with an abysmal...

Postby glitter178 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:52 pm

Blahh_Blahh wrote:cold diagnostic score of 152?

I just took my first diagnostic test and was really hoping to start off better than that. Granted I didn't know anything about how to solve the logic games (-16 in that section alone... LOL. Yikes), so I guess if I study how to actually solve them (I own the LG Bible, just haven't looked at it yet because I wanted to see where I stand first) maybe I'll have some chances of improving. But is a nearly 20-point jump possible?

Ideally I'm shooting for an LSAT score of 175+, but a 23-point jump seems unrealistic based on what people have previously told me. Maybe I'm just not that smart. Hah. I've heard you need to start at least at 160 in order to hope for a score like that.

Also I realize these sorts of questions are probably asked often, so I'm sorry, but I'm new here sooo I just thought instead of searching around I'd go ahead and post.

Learn logic games inside out and you're well on your way to a 170, if not there just with logic game improvement. No reason to miss more than 1-2 on logic games, it is the easiest section to master.

amers73

Postby amers73 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:52 pm

You can bring up your score to a 170+ with diligent studying, don't listen to people who say you can't. It takes discipline though.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:00 pm

I just took my first diagnostic test (timed) and was really hoping to start off better than that. Granted I didn't know anything about how to solve the logic games (-16 in that section alone... LOL. Yikes), so I guess if I study how to actually solve them (I own the LG Bible, just haven't looked at it yet because I wanted to see where I stand first) maybe I'll have some chances of improving. But is a nearly 20-point jump possible?

It's possible. And I feel like you probably know that it's possible. FYI You look like a total dick insulting your diagnostic score when a lot of people on this board (not including me, before you suggest that) started out lower than that.

Blahh_Blahh

Postby Blahh_Blahh » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:03 pm

Thanks for your replies. I hope you're right.

I'm decently okay with my LR and RC scores (the first LR I didn't do so well on but the second section I only got -4, which although not great, is I guess ok for the first time taking it. RC similarly wasn't great but wasn't horrible).

The LG section is what brought my score so far down, and if they can be learned, then I suppose I will be okay.

Blahh_Blahh

Postby Blahh_Blahh » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:04 pm

Sorry for looking like a total dick.... I am new here and just based on what I have seen briefly everybody is mega brilliant and most started out in 160s or higher. So it made me feel worse about my score.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:09 pm

Blahh_Blahh wrote:Sorry for looking like a total dick.... I am new here and just based on what I have seen briefly everybody is mega brilliant and most started out in 160s or higher. So it made me feel worse about my score.

I really didn't see you as coming off as a dick. You came off as surprised, if anything. And btw.... the 150- range-as-a-bad-score sentiment is rampant on TLS. you'll fit right in.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:17 pm

Hell yes. I started about there and ended up with a 172. You can do it (and hopefully it won't take you three tries like it did me ;-) )

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:59 pm

Going from -16 to -1/2 even in LG would bump you immediately from a 152 to 160+. That alone gives you a better chance for big improvement compared to other people who may also start out right around 152, and you still have 3/4 of the test left to improve on as well.

The key is smart studying rather than brute-force. Know what you're not good at, and figure out how you can make it work on your own terms. If you do that, you're golden.

Kurst

Postby Kurst » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:10 pm

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:23 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Hell yes. I started about there and ended up with a 172. You can do it (and hopefully it won't take you three tries like it did me ;-) )

What's your pattern? I had 166, 166 and am retaking in Oct because I PT 172-174 almost exclusively.

BTW, OP, most of the 175s I have seen started around 160, but 170 is definitely within your reach and 175 might be too.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:25 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:What's your pattern? I had 166, 166 and am retaking in Oct because I PT 172-174 almost exclusively.

This sounds a lot like your issue may be focus and dealing with pressure. Have you taken a look at these two tests and what you missed compared to your PTs?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:26 pm

Started at 153. Ended up at 170. Almost done with 1L at Northwestern. Yes. It is very possible.

Verity

Postby Verity » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:33 pm

Of course it's possible. I'm living proof. I went from a cold 151 to a 176. BUT, I studied for nearly a year and did every preptest I could get my hands on. You have to study hard, study smart, analyze your mistakes (and sometimes even your correct answers), and stay focused. You can do it, and you should, because 1-2 points makes the difference between acceptances and denials, and tens of thousands of dollars in scholarships.

Bobeo

Postby Bobeo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:41 pm

I took the LSAT cold and scored a 152. I too found the logic games section terribly hard.

I studied the LG Bible, retook, and scored a 166.

I'm gonna study all sections and try to break 170.

bellamy

Postby bellamy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:22 pm

I went from 154 to 172 in about 6 months time and ended up with sustantial scholarships to CLS CHicago UVa Duke WUStL BYU and admittances to NYU and Georgetown. So hard work bears fruit

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:07 pm

incompetentia wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:What's your pattern? I had 166, 166 and am retaking in Oct because I PT 172-174 almost exclusively.

This sounds a lot like your issue may be focus and dealing with pressure. Have you taken a look at these two tests and what you missed compared to your PTs?

One was February, the other was after only a month and a half of practice. I only prepped a month and a half for the first and one month for the second, so I think my issues were mostly a result of inconsistency and lack of familiarity with the test (with a small amount of nerves, but nothing big enough to knock 6-8 pts off). I'm putting in three months+ this time, so hopefully my actual test will be closer to my PTs because I will be substantially more used to it.

I was wondering whether you had OK test, OK test, great test or if it was only a small improvement

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:10 pm

The vast majority of people who study increase 15 points or less. 20 point increases are really rare, maybe 1 in a 100 in my experience. You could be that one, but I think it's a good idea to keep in mind how difficult your task is.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:13 pm

suspicious android wrote:The vast majority of people who study increase 15 points or less. 20 point increases are really rare, maybe 1 in a 100 in my experience. You could be that one, but I think it's a good idea to keep in mind how difficult your task is.

LOL. Srsly.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”