No progress. Burnout? What next?

apeopleshistory

No progress. Burnout? What next?

Postby apeopleshistory » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:44 pm

Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ginj

Re: No progress. Burnout? What next?

Postby Ginj » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:52 pm

Have you tried Powerscore? Powerscore helped me the most on LG, and the combination of Powerscore LR and Atlas LR has really worked for me (being my toughest section and all). If I were you, I'd maybe take a break for a couple of days, buy the books, read through them all (doing ALL exercises), and then take a full-length test.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:53 pm

apeopleshistory wrote:My diagnostic was a 156 on PT 57, 159 on PT 45. I have been studying using blueprint for the past 8 weeks and have hit some kind of horrible wall. Last night I did PT 39 and just from LR and LG I was at -23. (-13 LR, -10 LG I missed all of the second game 'cause I couldn't get a workable diagram.) I didn't even score RC because I was so bummed.

I really feel like I was making progress, I retook PT 45 and got a 164 (and that was with an off day -8 for RC which I can nail), but now I have regressed. Majorly. I'm missing stuff I should know.

I know lots of this is related to stress; I am a stay-at-home-Mom to a 2 and 5yo. My 5yo is in therapy for a behavior disorder and my husband was recently in job limbo (yay state budget cuts.) At least we know he has a job now.

I have a 3.73 with real work experience, solid academic softs and rec letters. I cannot kill my apps with a craptastic score. I must be employable. My goal is T10ish-20. I study from 8-10pm+ at night and I can get in one afternoon on the weekends, plus the weekend nights. If anyone has any advice (please don't give me shit, thanks) on how to recover, I would genuinely love to hear it. I have invested too much time and energy in this process to quit now.

Take a couple of days off and relax. Burnout is real and dangerous.

apeopleshistory

Postby apeopleshistory » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:20 pm

Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:20 pm

Knock wrote:Take a couple of days off and relax. Burnout is real and dangerous.

This.

At least 2 days off a week, at least 12 days off a month, in my opinion. Since it seems like you have a little less time to study than others, I wouldn't rigorously stick to this, but you still need more breaks than it sounds like you're getting.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:30 pm

The only people that can handle studying everyday are those that are treating the LSAT like a full-time job with no distractions. 99.999% of us can't afford this. RELAX

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:24 am

A few days off would do wonders.

Also, and I say this from experience teaching the BP classes, many people will gain most of their points during the last two weeks of the program. We specifically focus on not rushing the methods until we've covered them all twice (once during the lesson, once during a review). After we get through that, and start in earnest on timing, people who felt frustrated and at a plateau tend to shoot up.

I know that can be frustrating, and stressful, since you're not at your desired score until a week or so before the big day; however, that philosophy has worked for us and our students, so we're sticking with it. Just focus on accuracy for now and use practice tests to work on the stuff already covered in class. My class isn't even on our second PT yet, so there's still plenty of time.

And if you have any specific issues with BP, feel free to send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:44 am

Get the Manhattan LSAT (formerly Atlas) guides (esp the LR and RC ones). They supplement post-Blueprint self-studiers (such as myself) exceptionally well. Good luck!

bleh

Postby bleh » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:51 am

state budget cut.
It makes me think of Wisconsin

apeopleshistory

Postby apeopleshistory » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:23 pm

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”