Should I retake

ralph_pootawn

Should I retake

Postby ralph_pootawn » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:54 am

Took the LSAT in october and got a 169. This is good enough to get into some of the schools I want but I know if i got a couple points higher I could get alot more money from them. Going into the test my average was a 169. I had hit 172 on 4 of the 12 ptests i took. My issue on the OCT test was my first section was RC and I missed 9 questions on it. I only missed 4 questions on the rest of the exam if I remember correctly. Now RC has always been my most difficult section. I range anywhere from -4 to -10 on it. On the exam i was so anxious to begin that my first read through of the passage left me wondering wtf did i read. By the time the lady said 5 minutes i was still finishing the 3rd passage questions. Anyways I am looking for some advice. Knowing that a couple more points could save me large amounts of money makes me think I should retake, however, the studying process and the LSAT in general is such a mentally taxing process that I dread doing again. I would aim to retake in JUNE. Thoughts? Also i should note that I took a testmasters class before the oct test which I didnt find very helpful but i did do about 90% of the problems they gave us.

EDIT: Also of note is that I have not touched anything LSAT related since the oct test.

stylishlaw

Re: Should I retake

Postby stylishlaw » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:09 pm

IMO it really depends on your GPA and what you are planning to do in the extra year.

If you have a GPA of 3.8+, a retake makes sense because it opens up HYSCCN. But if your GPA is less than that I would advise against a retake since the difference between 169 and 172 is not that big. The difference is marginal and any increase in scholarship money wouldn't really be worth the extra year you're taking to go to law school. Generally speaking, for a retake to be worth it you need to score at least 5-6 points higher on your retake.

Retaking/reapplying also takes on more merit if you are going to do something productive in your extra year. By productive, I mean either earning a salary large enough to put a dent in your future loans or doing something that would make your application stronger overall (ie. curing cancer).

Personally, I have a 3.4/169 and was scoring in the 174-178 range in the few weeks before the exam. I plugged in numbers on LSP and did some math and figured out that I would need at least a 176 to make sitting a year out worth it. Even at 176 I would be slightly less than a coinflip at CCN. Also keep in mind that with my GPA, Berkeley is out. So retaking "opens up" much less schools than you would expect. Retaking would likely secure me one of MVP with some $$ but the difference in job placement between MVP and the school I would be attending is not large enough to warrant taking another year, in which I would most likely not be doing much. I want to do BigLaw, and graduating a year earlier with a BigLaw salary would easily make back the difference of any scholarship increase from a retake.

It's different if your GPA is high because retaking opens up the whole gamut of the T14. But in most cases a 169 is good enough to secure you a spot in the T10-20 range with some $$.
Last edited by stylishlaw on Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ralph_pootawn

Postby ralph_pootawn » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:12 pm

stylishlaw wrote:IMO it really depends on your GPA and what you are planning to do in the extra year.

If you have a GPA of 3.8+, a retake makes sense because it opens up HYSCCN. But if your GPA is less than that I would advise against a retake since the difference between 169 and 172 is not that big. The difference is marginal and any increase in scholarship money wouldn't really be worth the extra year you're taking to go to law school. Generally speaking, for a retake to be worth it you need to score at least 5-6 points higher on your retake.

Retaking/reapplying also takes on more merit if you are going to do something productive in your extra year. By productive, I mean either earning a salary large enough to put a dent in your future loans or doing something that would make your application stronger overall (ie. curing cancer).

Personally, I have a 3.4/169 and was scoring in the 174-178 range in the few weeks before the exam. I plugged in numbers on LSP and did some math and figured out that I would need at least a 176 to make sitting a year out worth it. Even at 176 I would be a coinflip at CCN. Retaking would likely secure me one of MVP with some $$ but the difference in job placement between MVP and the school I would be attending is not large enough to warrant taking another year, in which I would most likely not be doing much.

Thanks I guess I should have offered up some more info. MY GPA is 3.8+ and regardless of retake or not I wont be applying until next fall (fall2011). Appreciate the advice. I think even a 2 point increase could get me a decent amount more money. Thanks again.

stylishlaw

Postby stylishlaw » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:23 pm

ralph_pootawn wrote:
stylishlaw wrote:IMO it really depends on your GPA and what you are planning to do in the extra year.

Personally, I have a 3.4/169 and was scoring in the 174-178 range in the few weeks before the exam. I plugged in numbers on LSP and did some math and figured out that I would need at least a 176 to make sitting a year out worth it. Even at 176 I would be a coinflip at CCN. Retaking would likely secure me one of MVP with some $$ but the difference in job placement between MVP and the school I would be attending is not large enough to warrant taking another year, in which I would most likely not be doing much.

Thanks I guess I should have offered up some more info. MY GPA is 3.8+ and regardless of retake or not I wont be applying until next fall (fall2011). Appreciate the advice. I think even a 2 point increase could get me a decent amount more money. Thanks again.

There's no option to not retake here IMO. You are applying next cycle anyways and your GPA is 3.8+. Not retaking is basically saying, I don't want to pay $150 and take time, which I have, to study for a test that opens up the top 6 law schools and tens of thousands of dollars in scholarship because I'm lazy.

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:49 pm

ralph_pootawn wrote: My issue on the OCT test was my first section was RC and I missed 9 questions on it. I only missed 4 questions on the rest of the exam if I remember correctly.

Jesus. Definitely retake. If you can fix this, you can easily score in the mid-upper 170's. Study your ass off and retake.

Straw_Mandible

Postby Straw_Mandible » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:30 pm

A retake would definitely not bad choice, especially if you have reason to believe that your score would improve. It could be fatal, however, if you don't prepare. Just put the time in, make sure you break into the 170s, and enjoy HYSCCN.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:53 pm

If you're -4 overall in the rest of the test and this is normal, you should be able to test at 175 easily.

RC is probably the most difficult section to learn, but it is definitely still doable, especially with the amount of time that you have. Figure out which types of questions you're having issues with (or if it may be with reading and comprehending the passage), and then work on rectifying that and that alone.

3.8/175 is a world of difference from 3.8/169.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:57 am

Retake.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”