Preptest 46 ( LR, sec.3)

Preptest 46 ( LR, sec.3)

Postby caitriona » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:16 pm

Can anyone , please, help me out with figuring out why some of the answers are right.:)

Q 22, why it is A ( I choose B by mistake)
Q 19, why it is E ( I choose C by mistake)
15, why B , and not D
9, why A , and not B
6, why D and not E

Thank you very much!

Re: Preptest 46 ( LR, sec.3)

Postby 510Chicken » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:50 pm

caitriona wrote:6, why D and not E

(E) is wrong because the question assumes salting at current rates. Answering weather or not it would be too salty if we used salt less doesn't address this.
(D) is correct because if Albritten's water already had 90mg/L 20 years ago and is just at 100mg/L now, that means that they are adding only 5mg/L each decade. It would take 48 decades for the new area to reach unacceptable limits.
caitriona wrote:9, why A , and not B

(B) is incorrect because "Never" is too strong. Increasing funding is the most common response, which means cutting funding could be an uncommon yet plausible course of action.
(A) is correct. Most agencies that are failing get more money. Since inefficient agencies are the most common recipients of extra funding, they are the majority of that pool of agencies that are failing and noticed.
caitriona wrote:15, why B , and not D

(B) is correct because individuals who adopt said attitude are only "damaged" as a result if they would have gained from contributing to society and instead do not (they lose out on that benefit).
(D) The quote is not talking about the aesthetic merit of these works, nor their moral content. Just how the work benefits/harms individuals. Judgement is not involved.
caitriona wrote:Q 19, why it is E ( I choose C by mistake)

The conditional is: If everyone stops littering, Tanya will stop littering.
You are given: Tanya's friends stop littering.
It does not follow that Tanya stops littering, because her friends are not "everyone". Some douche down the street may have just emptied his trash onto the sidewalk.
(E) is the same. Sheryl did not consult ALL the people at the restaurant, so the conclusion is not necessarily true.
(C) does not follow the same structure. The stimulus and the correct response are both conditionals that are both incorrectly thought to be met. (C) begins with a conditional, but does not follow through. It doesn't claim to fulfill those conditions.
caitriona wrote:Q 22, why it is A ( I choose B by mistake)

(A) is correct because if the number of people under age 52 increased, yet the average age STILL increased by 5 years, then people older than 57 must be joining as well.
(B) is wrong because if the birth rate dropped, then the average age would naturally increase as people grew older, without requiring an influx of retirees or whatever.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”