Logical Reasoning question

penguin1

Logical Reasoning question

Postby penguin1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:53 pm

So I've been studying a little for the LSAT using the powerscore logical reasoning book and logic games book and in the logical reasoning book it gives 13 different question types. Then it has you do some exercise where you identify which questions are which type. My question is, Does it really matter which question is which type???

Will knowing the type of question actually help you answer it on the LSAT?

Thanks

dr123

Re: Logical Reasoning question

Postby dr123 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:55 pm

it definitely does matter, different question types require different approaches.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:24 pm

penguin1 wrote:So I've been studying a little for the LSAT using the powerscore logical reasoning book and logic games book and in the logical reasoning book it gives 13 different question types. Then it has you do some exercise where you identify which questions are which type. My question is, Does it really matter which question is which type???

Will knowing the type of question actually help you answer it on the LSAT?

Thanks

YES!!! In a big way!!!

The question type dictates your task at hand and defines the logical relationship the credited answer choice must have to the stimulus/argument.

That in turn dictates which approach/method of analysis you should employ to efficiently solve each particular question without wasting time and mental energy heading in the wrong direction doing pointless analysis.

For example:

If the question stem asks you what role a particular explicit part of the argument plays in the reasoning, you don't need to be concerned about or think about flawed methods of reasoning, necessary assumptions, or about identifying what would be sufficient to make the argument deductively valid.

With that question type you are only being tested on your ability to differentiate the components of the argument (premise, counter-premise, general principle, conclusion, subsidiary conclusion...) from each other, just like with main point LR questions (which are pretty much testing the same thing as 'role' questions, just in a slightly different way in terms of the types of answer choices presented).

penguin1

Postby penguin1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:11 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Ok so i get that different questions ask different things (perhaps i'm simplifying this too much) however, it seems that the question tells you what to do, so will the fact that I can identify that this question is for example a "Point at Issue" question actually help come to an answer or will just reading the question and understanding it be sufficient? It seems that figuring out which type of question would be waste valuable time.

I do appreciate the responses and i am not trying to discount any advice given.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:24 am

penguin1 wrote:
...it seems that the question tells you what to do, so will the fact that I can identify that this question is for example a "Point at Issue" question actually help come to an answer or will just reading the question and understanding it be sufficient? It seems that figuring out which type of question would be waste valuable time.

You seem to be making a distinction that doesn't exist unless you are talking about some weird abstract system of identifying question types that doesn't correspond to what each type is asking you to do/find in the answer choices.

In your mind, what is the difference between reading the question stem and understanding what it is telling you to do vs. figuring out that it is, for instance, a what is the point at issue question?

SanDiegoJake

Postby SanDiegoJake » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:00 pm

First, it depends on how you are scoring on the sections. If you're nailing 90-95% of the questions intuitively, without reading the question stem first, then I'd say keep doing what you're doing. If not, you should start reading the question stem first.

If it takes you more than 3 seconds to identify the type, you're doing it wrong. So I'm going to dismiss that concern right away.

Most importantly, the reason that I read the question stem first is to determine, as others have said, what I am reading for in the argument. Broadly, I very much like to know whether I'm reading for flawed reasoning or whether I'm reading for general information.

Some arguments are about the flawed reasoning of the argument - the connection between the premises/evidence and the main point / conclusion of the argument (weaken, strengthen, assumption, flaw). Some are not (inference, point-at-issue, etc...)

An inference has nothing to do with the connection between the premises and the conclusion. It's just something that must be true based on as little as one statement in the argument (such as the contrapositive of a conditional statement). Further, arguments that do not concern the reasoning of the argument may not be flawed arguments - they may be perfectly logical.

Bottom line: Why would you NOT spend the 3 seconds to determine whether you are reading for some logical flaw or whether you are simply reading for information?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”