LR is raping my life....

darkatillam2
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:40 pm

LR is raping my life....

Postby darkatillam2 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:43 pm

Obv another help thread.

LR is killing me folks. KILLING me.

Just took PT 53: LG /-0, RC /-4, LR combine /-16. Total score : 162

This has been my trend as of late. My games are near perfect every time with a few minutes to spare (at least on the new PTs, older ones I was around -2 average). My RC is getting better, but my LR just straight destroys me.

The best I've ever done is -4 on a LR section (after around 30 PTs - including A,B,C). I'm also a little worried about the slightly increased difficultly of the LR sections of the newer PTs. I mention this because I was making some progress on my LR sections from the older PTs, until I took 2 PTs in the 50s and shot back up to missing 5-10 per section. I'm really not sure what do to do anymore.

I'm rereading the LR bible for the 3rd time now. Every time I finish a PT, I spend the next day reviewing and writing explanations on why I got a question wrong and why the correct answer was correct. 85% of the time I have that "yea that makes sense + this is why, etc" moment afterward. The other 15% I'm relatively stumped and try and get my friend to help me out.

I think after reading so much on the test (all bibles, superprep, 30ish PTs, Master the LSAT), I've began to over think the answer choices? There have been a few I've missed because I felt that I came up with a solid counter example or flaw in their reasoning, which allowed me to cross the answer off as incorrect. However, I was mistaken after checking the answer. I know there are at least -2 per section I simply misread and choose a wrong answer choice because of it.

I guess there is nothing you can do for someone who grew up with poor reading habits?

Anyway, new advice appreciated. I'm trying to score 170-173 by June. I've already had close to a 20 point jump since I took my first test I'd imagine (wasn't really under timed circumstances, and I literally hadn't read an academic book in months). Regardless. Any help is useful. Maybe tips on improving my OVERALL reading comp?

I managed to get my hands on 15 testmaster books from a course a friend of mine took a few years ago. I'll prob start drilling all the question types to see if this helps (instead of just running through PT after PT). Wish me luck. Again, thoughts, help, cookies, the pill that guy from the movie 'Limitless' had, you know... whatever

tittsburghfeelers
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:03 am

Re: LR is raping my life....

Postby tittsburghfeelers » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:38 pm

I am honestly in the exact same situation as you. My LG is near flawless, my RC is decent, but LR is terrible. So, don't think you're the only one struggling with the LR.
Last edited by tittsburghfeelers on Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: LR is raping my life....

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:43 pm

I would call the cops.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: LR is raping my life....

Postby Verity » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:49 pm

Read Powerscore's LR Bible two or three times. Then move onto Kaplan 180. Then try a few PTs untimed. Then practice them incrementally: see how fast it takes you to do one, then five, then ten, and so on. Then go on to timed tests. If you have any other problems, feel free to PM me. I had the same problem, but just worked through it. I went from a cold 151 to a 176 after about a year of solid practice. Most of it is getting the question types and patterns down to second-nature. The really tough ones will start coming to you once you recognize the patterns.

User avatar
YaSvoboden
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:31 pm

Re: LR is raping my life....

Postby YaSvoboden » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:51 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:I would call the cops.


It would be tough to prove anything. Life has been leading on LR with illogical decisions for awhile now.

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: LR is raping my life....

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:54 pm

Yech, am I the only one who cringes when I see "rape" used in a jokey/casual way? So crass :roll: Anyways, I wish I could offer some nugget of wisdom for why LR comes more naturally, but if you are doing all the right things (which it sounds like you are) and you are still doing that poorly, maybe you should get back to basics and brush up on fallacies and conditional logic. Also make sure you are a critical reader and thinker. Don't just passively read - when you hear or see an arg, you should automatically be considering the holes/flaws/leaps in logic. You need these skills not just as an LSAT taker but also to be a successful lawyer (there's a reason it makes up half the admissions test). Also maybe pick up the Manhattan LR guide if it's still not working- I haven't tried it but I hear good things

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: LR is raping my life....

Postby soj » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:47 pm

@ Eich: no, you're not alone. I think people who use it jokingly probably don't realize the word can be triggering for someone with PTSD. A little respect and awareness might go a long way. Oh well, if I'm going to improve the world, I might as well study harder for the LSAT so I can get into a school that'll let me do it. (Always making things about the LSAT ... you might say I'm obsessed.)

OP, try to go beyond just convincing yourself that TCR is right and the other ACs are not. What was the reasoning process that led you to eliminate TCR and select another AC? What's wrong with that reasoning, and how can you prevent it? As for misreading, it's a problem with all of us. We just gotta keep practicing and remember to focus to stamp out those mistakes.

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: LR is raping my life....

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:11 pm

soj wrote:@ Eich: no, you're not alone. I think people who use it jokingly probably don't realize the word can be triggering for someone with PTSD. A little respect and awareness might go a long way. Oh well, if I'm going to improve the world, I might as well study harder for the LSAT so I can get into a school that'll let me do it. (Always making things about the LSAT ... you might say I'm obsessed.)

OP, try to go beyond just convincing yourself that TCR is right and the other ACs are not. What was the reasoning process that led you to eliminate TCR and select another AC? What's wrong with that reasoning, and how can you prevent it? As for misreading, it's a problem with all of us. We just gotta keep practicing and remember to focus to stamp out those mistakes.



Yea, I always think about how that would feel to see used as a joke. Probably really not good. At all. And we don't need to get into the depressing statistics of how common that crime is, but I just think using it as a joke lessons the horror of what that word really entails. And Soj, I am glad you are LSAT obsessed. You are killing the LSAT and I am sure you will go on to do great things. :mrgreen:

edited cause I wrote in all boldddddddd

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1897
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: LR is raping my life....

Postby Jeffort » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:11 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
soj wrote:@ Eich: no, you're not alone. I think people who use it jokingly probably don't realize the word can be triggering for someone with PTSD. A little respect and awareness might go a long way. Oh well, if I'm going to improve the world, I might as well study harder for the LSAT so I can get into a school that'll let me do it. (Always making things about the LSAT ... you might say I'm obsessed.)

OP, try to go beyond just convincing yourself that TCR is right and the other ACs are not. What was the reasoning process that led you to eliminate TCR and select another AC? What's wrong with that reasoning, and how can you prevent it? As for misreading, it's a problem with all of us. We just gotta keep practicing and remember to focus to stamp out those mistakes.



Yea, I always think about how that would feel to see used as a joke. Probably really not good. At all. And we don't need to get into the depressing statistics of how common that crime is, but I just think using it as a joke lessons the horror of what that word really entails. And Soj, I am glad you are LSAT obsessed. You are killing the LSAT and I am sure you will go on to do great things. :mrgreen:

edited cause I wrote in all boldddddddd


I'm with you about a very serious thing being used and analogized to in a callous off-handed meaningless way. It's sooo not cool.

My case in point for my perspective can be read here:

http://www.lsatdiscussion.com/index.php ... ml#msg4832
Last edited by Jeffort on Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
OhOkay
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:14 am

Re: LR is raping my life....

Postby OhOkay » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Yech, am I the only one who cringes when I see "rape" used in a jokey/casual way?

I was thinking the same thing :(

User avatar
lawandi
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:32 pm

Re: LR is raping my life....

Postby lawandi » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:16 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Yech, am I the only one who cringes when I see "rape" used in a jokey/casual way? So crass :roll: Anyways, I wish I could offer some nugget of wisdom for why LR comes more naturally, but if you are doing all the right things (which it sounds like you are) and you are still doing that poorly, maybe you should get back to basics and brush up on fallacies and conditional logic. Also make sure you are a critical reader and thinker. Don't just passively read - when you hear or see an arg, you should automatically be considering the holes/flaws/leaps in logic. You need these skills not just as an LSAT taker but also to be a successful lawyer (there's a reason it makes up half the admissions test). Also maybe pick up the Manhattan LR guide if it's still not working- I haven't tried it but I hear good things


I agree! Completely inappropriate! :x

suzige
Posts: 307
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:10 pm

Re: LR is raping my life....

Postby suzige » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:34 pm

I've used the phrase in the past, but after learning more about sexual assault and doing my own research on it, I realize how wrong that was of me. So glad I see others responding similarly as I am. As bad as LSAT prep can get, we probably should be wary of our language usage so as not to take away the seriousness of sexual assault and the experiences of survivors.

LR is difficult for me as well, so I understand the frustration.

darkatillam2
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: LR is *making me a sad panda*....

Postby darkatillam2 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:31 am

Sorry everyone, I guess I made a mistake in using the word "rape" in my title. A bad decision in hindsight, distasteful for sure.


Any who, thanks to the 1 person who gave me some LR advice. I'll try to read more 'aggressively'. Maybe more drilling will help as well.

User avatar
mac35352
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:17 pm

Re: LR is *making me a sad panda*....

Postby mac35352 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:18 pm

darkatillam2 wrote:Sorry everyone, I guess I made a mistake in using the word "rape" in my title. A bad decision in hindsight, distasteful for sure.


Any who, thanks to the 1 person who gave me some LR advice. I'll try to read more 'aggressively'. Maybe more drilling will help as well.

Drilling untimed until you fully understand it, no guessing, no looking up the answer until I am positive this is the correct answer.
This has worked wonders for me. It forces me to analyze. It may help you.
Good luck




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests