Scoring in the 170's with 5 extra minutes

Tiger123

Scoring in the 170's with 5 extra minutes

Postby Tiger123 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:01 pm

I am currently having a timing problem. On LG I can consistently finish under time getting -0, but on RC and LR it usually takes me about 5 minutes too long on each section, but with the 5 minutes I am scoring in the mid 170's consistently. I've been at it for about a month now and still haven't solved this problem. Under strict timing I score in the high 160's, but I was wondering if you guys had any tips to improve timing.

quidprobono

Re: Scoring in the 170's with 5 extra minutes

Postby quidprobono » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:06 pm

I'd take each RC and LR question individually and drill them until you can shave a minute from your completion time. Then do that with pairs of two, sets of three, etc., until you've saved 5 minutes from the section as a whole.

By this point, you'll have memorized the answers to this particular test, but you'll know what it feels like to complete the full test in the allotted time. Keep trying and eventually you'll be able to do new questions more quickly.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:57 pm

It's hard to give specific suggestions without knowing a lot more about what's giving you issues. Can you tell us a little bit more about your process for RC, and which questions you know you're a little slow on for LR?

wanderlust

Postby wanderlust » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:53 am

quidprobono wrote:I'd take each RC and LR question individually and drill them until you can shave a minute from your completion time. Then do that with pairs of two, sets of three, etc., until you've saved 5 minutes from the section as a whole.

By this point, you'll have memorized the answers to this particular test, but you'll know what it feels like to complete the full test in the allotted time. Keep trying and eventually you'll be able to do new questions more quickly.

I doubt repeating the same section 2 or 3 times could let the OP know what it feels like in the real one.

Tiger123

Postby Tiger123 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:23 pm

Thanks for the help.

For the RC I learned that taking notes in the margin is slowing me down and just running through the passage fast and underlining is making me go faster and I still score high, but I need to continue to do it faster. On LR, I'm still trying to determine which is my slowest question, but I'm pretty sure it's strengthen/ Justify the conclusion questions.

What I'm doing right now to prepare is splitting my studying into 4 day blocks doing 4 tests during those days. Day 1: LR Practice using Kaplan and LR Bible then 4 Timed LR Sections . Day 2: RC practice using Kaplan 3 Times RC sections and 1 Timed LR section Day 3: LG Practice using LG bible and Kaplan and 3 Timed LG's and 1 Timed LR section. The fourth day I complete a Full 6 section Prep test using an extra LR section and RC section as the experimentals. It's about 8 hours a day of studying so hopefully enough practice will make me faster.

I'm aiming for a 175+ and know I can do it I just need to go faster.

NikaneOkie

Postby NikaneOkie » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:24 pm

Tiger123 wrote:I am currently having a timing problem. On LG I can consistently finish under time getting -0, but on RC and LR it usually takes me about 5 minutes too long on each section, but with the 5 minutes I am scoring in the mid 170's consistently. I've been at it for about a month now and still haven't solved this problem. Under strict timing I score in the high 160's, but I was wondering if you guys had any tips to improve timing.

It's going to sound counterintuitive, but slow down to speed up.
Slow down when reading, and you'll find you won't need to return to the passages, and that gives a surprising amount of extra time.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:48 am

Tiger123 wrote:For the RC I learned that taking notes in the margin is slowing me down and just running through the passage fast and underlining is making me go faster and I still score high, but I need to continue to do it faster. On LR, I'm still trying to determine which is my slowest question, but I'm pretty sure it's strengthen/ Justify the conclusion questions.

Are you having to re-read the passage at all? Generally, the people in my classes who skip annotating the passage invariably go slower as they have to look for where certain things came up in the passage. That takes more time than spending an extra minute on a first (and only) read. They eventually come around.

If you're not going back to check stuff, what's taking you so long to get through it? Reading the passage once and answering the questions shouldn't take more than 8 minutes a passage, so I'm at a loss as to how you're 5 minutes over.

Tiger123

Postby Tiger123 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:47 pm

Yeah I'm definitely having to go back to the passage on numerous questions. I will try as you guys suggested reading slower to go faster and taking my time to annotate rather than read quickly and underline and write random things in the hope I will remember the passage.

When I started doing them without time and slowly read and understood the passage I usually wouldn't get anything wrong, so maybe that is the solution.

NikaneOkie

Postby NikaneOkie » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:55 pm

bp shinners wrote:
Tiger123 wrote:For the RC I learned that taking notes in the margin is slowing me down and just running through the passage fast and underlining is making me go faster and I still score high, but I need to continue to do it faster. On LR, I'm still trying to determine which is my slowest question, but I'm pretty sure it's strengthen/ Justify the conclusion questions.

Are you having to re-read the passage at all? Generally, the people in my classes who skip annotating the passage invariably go slower as they have to look for where certain things came up in the passage. That takes more time than spending an extra minute on a first (and only) read. They eventually come around.

If you're not going back to check stuff, what's taking you so long to get through it? Reading the passage once and answering the questions shouldn't take more than 8 minutes a passage, so I'm at a loss as to how you're 5 minutes over.

I went through the large majority of the RC Bible and marked up the passages extensively, as the book suggest. Then, when I was finally finished with the book, I simply circled or underlined key words or actors. This moved me from consistently -3 to consistently -0. Perhaps that is just what worked for me, but I found simply slowing down while one reads the passage is what really leads one to RC success :)

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:19 am

Stop giving yourself extra time when you're timing yourself. Drill questions (untimed) that are difficult for you but when timing yourself do not give yourself that extra time. That's how you're going to learn what 35 minutes feels like and how to adjust your speed to finish in that time.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:20 am

Pleasye wrote:Stop giving yourself extra time when you're timing yourself. Drill questions (untimed) that are difficult for you but when timing yourself do not give yourself that extra time. That's how you're going to learn what 35 minutes feels like and how to adjust your speed to finish in that time.

This is the right answer. The test is designed to not give you enough time and the lack of time is what actually makes the test difficult. Most people who are scoring in the mid 160s could score near perfectly on the test if they had all the time in the world.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”