Advice For Getting Past 165ish

gaud

Advice For Getting Past 165ish

Postby gaud » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:35 pm

Okay so I've been taking practice tests like nobody's business with days for review after each test. My scores have been something like 165,165,165,164,163,167,166,165,166,168,164,165.....I just CANNOT seem to get past this hump that I am in. Averaging a raw score of around 80-83's.

Does anyone have advice for how to get past this hump? I do not feel like it is any one section that is giving me trouble (averaging about -4 or -5 each section)

Thank you

crumpetsandtea

Re: Advice For Getting Past 165ish

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:46 pm

gaud wrote:Okay so I've been taking practice tests like nobody's business with days for review after each test. My scores have been something like 165,165,165,164,163,167,166,165,166,168,164,165.....I just CANNOT seem to get past this hump that I am in. Averaging a raw score of around 80-83's.

Does anyone have advice for how to get past this hump? I do not feel like it is any one section that is giving me trouble (averaging about -4 or -5 each section)

Thank you

What have you been doing other than just burning through tests? Have you looked at the Powerscore Bibles? Are you reviewing your incorrect/unsure questions? How often are you taking tests and when are you taking them? What was your cold diagnostic? How is your timing?

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:56 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
gaud wrote:Okay so I've been taking practice tests like nobody's business with days for review after each test. My scores have been something like 165,165,165,164,163,167,166,165,166,168,164,165.....I just CANNOT seem to get past this hump that I am in. Averaging a raw score of around 80-83's.

Thank you

What have you been doing other than just burning through tests? Have you looked at the Powerscore Bibles? Are you reviewing your incorrect/unsure questions? How often are you taking tests and when are you taking them? What was your cold diagnostic? How is your timing?

This is my second time studying for the LSAT, I have read each of the bibles and I took a Testmasters course last fall. I do everything in 3-day cycles. Before each test I review question types and some harder questions that I have cut out from previous tests, then I take a test (noon) and take the rest of the day off from LSAT study. The next two days I review EACH question on the test regardless of whether I got it right or wrong and I redo every LG regardless of score there as well. My timing is fairly consistent, I usually finish with maybe 2-3 minutes to do a quick review of questions that gave me some trouble. My diagnostic was 148.

Also, if I am not sure why an answer is correct, I ALWAYS look up explanations.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:39 pm

gaud wrote:This is my second time studying for the LSAT, I have read each of the bibles and I took a Testmasters course last fall. I do everything in 3-day cycles. Before each test I review question types and some harder questions that I have cut out from previous tests, then I take a test (noon) and take the rest of the day off from LSAT study. The next two days I review EACH question on the test regardless of whether I got it right or wrong and I redo every LG regardless of score there as well. My timing is fairly consistent, I usually finish with maybe 2-3 minutes to do a quick review of questions that gave me some trouble. My diagnostic was 148.

First of all...CONGRATULATIONS on your improvement!!!!!! Almost 20 points higher, that is freaking beastly. Not everyone can manage that sort of jump. That's something to be incredibly proud of!! Also, your study plan seems to be good too (hence the improvement, I gather). I'm not sure what to say regarding changing your plan, but maybe taking a break from studying for a bit might help. If things still aren't changing, sometimes people max out their potential when they're really pushing themselves and working hard. In this case, you might have maxed it out around the 165 range. Either way though, try to stop thinking about it for a week or so...I know it's hard, but I personally get burnt out really easily and I often see jumps in my score if I take a few days off from studying and just let my mind bounce back a little.

You're obviously working hard, and you've seen some excellent improvement. It might be worthwhile to step back and let yourself rest! Be proud of your improvement so far! I wish I could consistently improve my cold diagnostic by 10-12 points :P GOOD LUCK. <3

Curry

Postby Curry » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:41 pm

Crumpetsandtea wrote: Whatever she said

Reported for plagiarism.

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:53 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
gaud wrote:This is my second time studying for the LSAT, I have read each of the bibles and I took a Testmasters course last fall. I do everything in 3-day cycles. Before each test I review question types and some harder questions that I have cut out from previous tests, then I take a test (noon) and take the rest of the day off from LSAT study. The next two days I review EACH question on the test regardless of whether I got it right or wrong and I redo every LG regardless of score there as well. My timing is fairly consistent, I usually finish with maybe 2-3 minutes to do a quick review of questions that gave me some trouble. My diagnostic was 148.

First of all...CONGRATULATIONS on your improvement!!!!!! Almost 20 points higher, that is freaking beastly. Not everyone can manage that sort of jump. That's something to be incredibly proud of!! Also, your study plan seems to be good too (hence the improvement, I gather). I'm not sure what to say regarding changing your plan, but maybe taking a break from studying for a bit might help. If things still aren't changing, sometimes people max out their potential when they're really pushing themselves and working hard. In this case, you might have maxed it out around the 165 range. Either way though, try to stop thinking about it for a week or so...I know it's hard, but I personally get burnt out really easily and I often see jumps in my score if I take a few days off from studying and just let my mind bounce back a little.

You're obviously working hard, and you've seen some excellent improvement. It might be worthwhile to step back and let yourself rest! Be proud of your improvement so far! I wish I could consistently improve my cold diagnostic by 10-12 points :P GOOD LUCK. <3

Thank you! Maybe I will try and take a break and see how it works

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:58 pm

Curry wrote:
Crumpetsandtea wrote: Whatever she said

Reported for plagiarism.

You're a loser. :P

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:00 pm

gaud wrote:Thank you! Maybe I will try and take a break and see how it works

No problem!! :mrgreen: Good luck!!

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:53 pm

Sounds like you may be pressing at this point. Take a few days off, come back to the test, and score 173.

I will note, though, if you're missing that many on each section, you should be able to go back and find a weak question type in each section. (Mine were assumptions (LR) and mainpoints (RC))
Drilling those or at least coming up with a more effective method should help drastically.

Tamponymous

Postby Tamponymous » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:30 pm

I also took TM and got 165ish last year, up from my diagnostic of 150. Then I studied on my own for a while and got 171. Many of your study methods sound similar to mine - I would focus on particular question types and review every question from my PTs.

Have you been doing untimed sections? It helps to focus on accuracy without time constraints - just take however long you need to get them 100% right. Also, have faith that the answers are there and that they are all solvable. I remember sometimes I would panic on LG, knowing that if I didn't set up the games perfectly the first time through that I would lose too much time and bomb the section. So I took it slow with LG, making sure I noted every relevant detail. For me, it was about building accuracy first and speed second.

And, as others have said, it is important to take breaks. I can tell when my brain won't benefit from studying - it feels like it's full of knots and tension. Try to become aware of your moods to optimize your studying efforts.

I don't think you have a natural ceiling at 165 since you are still finishing early. Learn to pace yourself and focus on accuracy, and you will break 170. gg

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:38 pm

Tamponymous wrote:I also took TM and got 165ish last year, up from my diagnostic of 150. Then I studied on my own for a while and got 171. Many of your study methods sound similar to mine - I would focus on particular question types and review every question from my PTs.

Have you been doing untimed sections? It helps to focus on accuracy without time constraints - just take however long you need to get them 100% right. Also, have faith that the answers are there and that they are all solvable. I remember sometimes I would panic on LG, knowing that if I didn't set up the games perfectly the first time through that I would lose too much time and bomb the section. So I took it slow with LG, making sure I noted every relevant detail. For me, it was about building accuracy first and speed second.

And, as others have said, it is important to take breaks. I can tell when my brain won't benefit from studying - it feels like it's full of knots and tension. Try to become aware of your moods to optimize your studying efforts.

I don't think you have a natural ceiling at 165 since you are still finishing early. Learn to pace yourself and focus on accuracy, and you will break 170. gg

I have tried the untimed method of studying, but I tend to not see much of an improvement. This could be because my untimed pace seems to still be quite fast (lol I'm so used to speed,speed,speed). About how long do you think a section should take untimed? I understand that it will likely be different from person to person, but an average may help me realize that I need to slow down.

Tamponymous

Postby Tamponymous » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:20 pm

gaud wrote:
Tamponymous wrote:I also took TM and got 165ish last year, up from my diagnostic of 150. Then I studied on my own for a while and got 171. Many of your study methods sound similar to mine - I would focus on particular question types and review every question from my PTs.

I have tried the untimed method of studying, but I tend to not see much of an improvement. This could be because my untimed pace seems to still be quite fast (lol I'm so used to speed,speed,speed). About how long do you think a section should take untimed? I understand that it will likely be different from person to person, but an average may help me realize that I need to slow down.

I'm not really sure, maybe an hour or so for 25 questions? I wouldn't even think about time limit though. Seriously, just take a section, work on it until you think that you chose the right answer to every question. Read through each sentence and as you go ask yourself if you understand each premise, each word. You probably will not be able to get to 100% certainty on some questions - note down the ones that you don't fully understand, even without a time limit.

I was a speed demon too - I often finished my PTs early, even when I was just starting and scoring in the 150s. But think about it this way: if you get questions wrong in a timed section, it might be from misreading words and thus misunderstanding arguments. You can address these errors by running more and more timed tests. But if you get questions wrong in untimed sections, it means you are still not totally clear about fundamental LSAT concepts. How can you possibly hope to get those questions right if you were timed? So that's why I say accuracy and understanding first - speed second.

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:39 pm

Tamponymous wrote:
gaud wrote:

I'm not really sure, maybe an hour or so for 25 questions? I wouldn't even think about time limit though. Seriously, just take a section, work on it until you think that you chose the right answer to every question. Read through each sentence and as you go ask yourself if you understand each premise, each word. You probably will not be able to get to 100% certainty on some questions - note down the ones that you don't fully understand, even without a time limit.

I was a speed demon too - I often finished my PTs early, even when I was just starting and scoring in the 150s. But think about it this way: if you get questions wrong in a timed section, it might be from misreading words and thus misunderstanding arguments. You can address these errors by running more and more timed tests. But if you get questions wrong in untimed sections, it means you are still not totally clear about fundamental LSAT concepts. How can you possibly hope to get those questions right if you were timed? So that's why I say accuracy and understanding first - speed second.

Gotcha! Thank you

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:25 pm

Maybe review your tests, see what games or question types consistently give you trouble?

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:53 pm

emarxnj wrote:Maybe review your tests, see what games or question types consistently give you trouble?

I'm assuming you mean group them and then determine where I need improvements from there, right? Once there, however, then what? Review how to attack the questions? Review maybe consistencies in my wrong answer choices? Lol, all of the above?

Is there anything that I SHOULD do after collecting this data is what I'm really asking?

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:59 pm

gaud wrote:
emarxnj wrote:Maybe review your tests, see what games or question types consistently give you trouble?

I'm assuming you mean group them and then determine where I need improvements from there, right? Once there, however, then what? Review how to attack the questions? Review maybe consistencies in my wrong answer choices? Lol, all of the above?

Is there anything that I SHOULD do after collecting this data is what I'm really asking?

Well I'm prepping too, so I'm not an expert on the subject. Take all your logic game sections, and look at all your incorrect answers? Were they just silly mistakes where the error was just misreading what the question asked or something, or did you consistently have troubled with certain question or game type in general? All the stuff you said seem like go places to go from there, IMO.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”