Reading Comp is killing me. -12 on RC, 164 on PrepTest 29 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
secretad

Bronze

Reading Comp is killing me. -12 on RC, 164 on PrepTest 29

Post by secretad » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:26 pm

I would like to go over some problems I had with the reading comp on Preptest 29, October 1999.

The first question on the first passage, which is a main idea question, is one that I missed.

I chose C instead of B, and B was the correct answer.

I did not choose B because of its wording obviously. B states that, "The work of the pre-World War I European painters who developed new ways of looking at the world cannot be said to have intentionally predicted social changes but only to have anticipated new directions in artistic perception and expression.

My problem with that answer choice is in the fact that the Eurpoean painters can be said to ONLY???? have anticipated new directions in artistic perception and expression. I understand that the answer choice is trying to provide separation between the idea of the painters not intentionally predicting social changes, but how can one STATE that it ONLY did one thing. We do not know that it only did that? Maybe it did a ton of other stuff?

The second passage, #14. I am not in total agreement that (A) should be the answer. I don't see how B could be incorrect. The author talks about how dialect can be a problem in setting up teaching of the language, as can the fact that many languages were oral for so long. I felt that B gives the idea that an exact match is not necessary and that, depending on the community, a way around that can be fixed through multiple words and such.

The last passage, last question. The correct answer is (A) Most modern legal historians' relative lack of interest in pursuing the subject.

The passage states at the very end that "Very few legal historians have STARTED with an interest in women's history that they might have elected to pursue through various areas of general law.

coldshoulder

Silver

Re: Reading Comp is killing me. -12 on RC, 164 on PrepTest 29

Post by coldshoulder » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:30 pm

I'll try to give a thorough examination when I can get home and look at the test. I took that a couple days ago and got a -1 on the rc section.
One thing first though: use the info in the passage. Don't try to make answers that use other information or infer something that is out of the scope of the question. Look extremely closely at the question's wording and the answer choices.
I'll try to answer the specific ones when I get back.

lukebyalibi

New

Post by lukebyalibi » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:18 am

coldshoulder wrote:I'll try to give a thorough examination when I can get home and look at the test. I took that a couple days ago and got a -1 on the rc section.
One thing first though: use the info in the passage. Don't try to make answers that use other information or infer something that is out of the scope of the question. Look extremely closely at the question's wording and the answer choices.
I'll try to answer the specific ones when I get back.
I struggled with this also with regards to RC. I have found that if I try to empty my mind of anything that is out of the scope of the RC passage that the answer has been jumping out at me! It is def hard though once you justify an answer in your head and feel it is right only to find out you got it wrong. I still do this but am getting way better with the tip above.

rubydandun

New

Post by rubydandun » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:29 am

have to read for structure and detail. absorb the details and ask yourself...

why was this written? whats the purpose?

and

How is this information presented?

Check out atlas lsat's methods on rc.

If you're getting -12 you have to go back to basics. stop timing yourself, just go through slowly and really analyze your cognitive process - what are you doing at each step of the way, where are the mistakes coming?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”