LSAT Tutors' Complaint Forum

flexityflex86

LSAT Tutors' Complaint Forum

Postby flexityflex86 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:44 am

Hey, being that TLS is kind of a self selecting group in that those with lower LSAT scores (i.e. those below the 80th percentile) almost never feel comfortable reading/commenting, we have a pretty high proportion of people who teach the LSAT.

I wanted to start an LSAT forum to give all tutors an opportunity to complain about certain trends they find with certain students, completely confidential of course. I personally find I can predict what will happen with a student the moment they start talking, I can immediately predict they'll fall in 1 of the following 3 categories. However, out fears of having a bad rep, we of course cannot directly turn down working with a student.

By the way, if you're interested in getting into tutoring, I run a small LSAT tutoring company and would have no problem helping you get your feet off the ground or even hook you up with clients myself (just PM me!).

Now, I have had the honor of helping many awesome people, but being that I do all internet marketing, you do get some kinks in the armor that are one of the following 3 types, which tend to be related to each other.

1.) LAST MINUTE STARTER - Many students want to start tutoring the month before their LSAT at which point they haven't taken a diagnostic test yet. If you tell them to push back, they leave and find a tutor who tells them one month is enough time. They say they can't push it back, because they had planned to take this test months back, and "need" to start law school in the coming year.

If you planned to take the test for a year, why didn't you start studying? I planned to be super ripped by summer, but didn't start working out till May. Should I be upset at my trainer?

2.) UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS - Normally a symptom of 1. These are people who start in the 130s or 140s, have a low GPA (around a 3) from a mediocre undergrad, and speak about how they have their "eye set on Harvard," and how it's been their dream for years. They tend not to study, avoid taking full tests out of fear of facing reality, and expect their LSAT tutor to improve their score 25-30 points over the course of 3 or 4 lessons as they feel if they can't improve 30 points over ten hours of tutoring or so then their tutor is not very good.

They don't think they should have to study to hit their goals as the entire reason they purchased lessons with a tutor was so they wouldn't have to study. This group also tends to believe they can accomplish in 1 month what those with substantially better starting scores can accomplish in 6 or 7, because they are very bright. This group has a tendency to not support their opinions with tangible evidence, but feelings.

3.) Ridiculous Price Negotiators - This group has some from 1 and many from group 2. They try to underhand an LSAT tutor (get multiple free trial lessons, or get tutoring for $25/hour or less). They generally feel LSAT tutors are just people who couldn't make it in law, and sometimes are vocal about these opinions. They tend to have little respect for the test, and consequently do not study.

They tend to say the test is "stupid," and constantly disagree with questions, throwing in their own opinions. They tend to think they are incredible at arguing, but bring in irrelevant supporting evidence - "for example, I should get multiple free trial lessons so I can make up my mind as when I go to the ice cream store I get to try multiple different flavors of ice cream." They will also prove unable to pick apart any of the 10 flaws in this argument. They may also try to appeal for free tutoring out of financial need when they do not have a strong prior academic record to show potential with and/or wear expensive clothing and/or drive a Jaguar and/or live in an expensive apartment, and speak ill of those who are impoverished.

Ironically, those students who improve the most are also the easiest to get along with. They have realistic expectations, come in with knowledge of the test if even through self study, and put effort into defeating what they don't understand. They also tend to be more well read, and speak more professionally.

suspicious android

Re: LSAT Tutors' Complaint Forum

Postby suspicious android » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:14 pm

I like complaining about work as much as the next guy, but I thankfully haven't had too many bad students to complain about. I have had a few students who felt the test was stupid and thought they could find wholes with 50% of the LR problems so it was all just arbitrary what the correct answer was. They can be pretty hard to work with, and they have pretty much no chance of improvement unless they can be convinced that the test is right and they are wrong. That's a tough step for some people..

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”