Just took my first prep test, LF advice/feedback

Sloth Hero

Just took my first prep test, LF advice/feedback

Postby Sloth Hero » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:03 pm

Quick starting note, this is my first post on this site! This marks the beginning of my crazed LSAT preparation. :3

So I just took my first self-timed prep test. I started with test #7 because I think seeing how the test has developed chronologically might give me some sneaky intuition behind it.

I got an 82/101, which is converted to a 167.

Section breakdown is

S1: 23/25
S2: 20/24
S3: 18/27
S4: 21/25

Time was not an issue except for S2, which was the games section.

My only preparation so far, ironically, has been working through the LG bible at a leisurely pace during my boring liberal reqs.

So for all you LSAT/TLS vets, how does this look? And does this count as a "diagnostic"?

Also, I'm almost done with my sophomore year. I'm going to take a 2 month kaplan course over summer for some formalized prep in addition to my self study regimen I have planned. (About 3 hours a day from now till I take the test, which will amount to quite a few hundred hours (I have no life))

So given my initial test, and my projected study plan, how am I doing now? And more importantly, what do you guys think I can/should realistically aim for?
Last edited by Sloth Hero on Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSATfromNC

Re: Just took my first prep test, LF advice/feedback

Postby LSATfromNC » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:07 pm

I hate you. That is all.

soj

Postby soj » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:09 pm

You're in great shape. It's not a strict diagnostic since you have gone through the bibles, but timed PTs are a different beast and to score -19 on your first one is great news. And since you're a sophomore, you'll have tons of time to prepare.

Your weakest section, LG, is the most improvable section for many people, and even LR and RC can be improved with sustained effort, so 175+ is not out of the question.

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:15 pm

You're amazing. Only thing I would suggest is that if you liked the strategies in the Bible, you might want to consider taking either Powerscore or Testmasters since their strategy for LG is very different than Kaplan's.

Sloth Hero

Postby Sloth Hero » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:22 pm

Thanks for the responses!

I have only done the LGB, haven't done the other bibles yet :o And as of now I have no relative ground to make claims about the LGB because I've had no alternate education in LSAT prep.

I didn't really follow it like a bible anyways. I end up using sentential/predicate representations for most rules etc.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:28 pm

Sloth Hero wrote:
Section breakdown is

Time was not an issue except for S3, which was the games section. I went back after the test and finished the section - ended up getting a 23/27 un-timed.

Your score might improve if you apply logic game strategies to the LG section and RC strategies to the RC section instead of vise-versa. Section #3 with 27 questions was reading comprehension, section 2 was logic games. Your mixed up description doesn't seem like it came from a simple typo.
Last edited by Jeffort on Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sloth Hero

Postby Sloth Hero » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:32 pm

Jeffort wrote:
Sloth Hero wrote:
Section breakdown is

Time was not an issue except for S3, which was the games section. I went back after the test and finished the section - ended up getting a 23/27 un-timed.

Your score might improve if you apply logic game strategies to the LG section and RC strategies to the RC section instead of vis-versa. Section #3 with 27 questions was reading comprehension, section 2 was logic games. Your mixed up description doesn't seem like it came from a simple typo.

Sorry, I mixed up section 2 and section 3 when I typed it out. And when I finished it I got 4 more correct, so just added that to the wrong section by mistake I guess

Ill fix the original

Thanks for pointing this out, I didnt notice lol

NikaneOkie

Postby NikaneOkie » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:37 pm

Personally, I think that the courses are only helpful for those who cannot trust themselves to put in the amount of time necessary to studying in order to get a high score.
If you can trust yourself to put in the daily work, then don't waste the money.
(I didn't take a course and did quite well)

Sloth Hero

Postby Sloth Hero » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:39 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:Personally, I think that the courses are only helpful for those who cannot trust themselves to put in the amount of time necessary to studying in order to get a high score.
If you can trust yourself to put in the daily work, then don't waste the money.
(I didn't take a course and did quite well)

Heh well my parents will pay for it - so I guess it can't hurt :)

And the fact that they supplementing my prep is an extra incentive to do work

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:47 pm

The courses are really only useful to keep you motivated by having peers to study with, and the materials the centers normally provide. They do provide a basic understanding of the test. Private tutoring can be good if there's one thing you struggle with, particularly for the games.

SanDiegoJake

Postby SanDiegoJake » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:46 pm

I'd be cautiously excited if I were you. Why cautiously? Because the test has gotten progressively more difficult over the years. Test 7 is so old that I think it's far easier than the current test. You should take the latest LSAT you can get your hands on and that will be much more accurate a predictor.

I don't think you'll gain much insight by taking the tests in chronological order. They get harder. Some types of games (maps, range, switch and mutate) disappear. The arguments get much harder. The reading comp gets somewhat harder.

I generally recommend avoiding any prep test before #30, as it could lead to false confidence. Just my two cents...

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:57 pm

save the latest tests. take #40 or something for your next test. the tests do get harder but that's a great score so early in the game.

this author's tone is d.) qualified approval

Sloth Hero

Postby Sloth Hero » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:18 pm

SanDiegoJake wrote:I'd be cautiously excited if I were you. Why cautiously? Because the test has gotten progressively more difficult over the years. Test 7 is so old that I think it's far easier than the current test. You should take the latest LSAT you can get your hands on and that will be much more accurate a predictor.

I don't think you'll gain much insight by taking the tests in chronological order. They get harder. Some types of games (maps, range, switch and mutate) disappear. The arguments get much harder. The reading comp gets somewhat harder.

I generally recommend avoiding any prep test before #30, as it could lead to false confidence. Just my two cents...

I have over a year and a half before I "need" to take the test..

you aren't asserting that pre #30 would be counterproductive? are you? :3

I have to time to do em' all. I'll just be wary, and mildly understanding, if i do worse on some later tests.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”