How much can I raise my diagnostic LSAT score?

tdicks

How much can I raise my diagnostic LSAT score?

Postby tdicks » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:22 am

I just took a diagnostic LSAT test (zero previous studying, timed) and got a 160. I didn't have any issues with time (had 1-6 minutes left at the end of each section) and almost half the questions I missed were in the logic section. Any input on how much I might be able to raise my scores before the October test date? I can find prep books, but I'm in China so an actual prep course isn't going to happen.

melanne89

Re: How much can I raise my diagnostic LSAT score?

Postby melanne89 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:27 am

tdicks wrote:I just took a diagnostic LSAT test (zero previous studying, timed) and got a 160. I didn't have any issues with time (had 1-6 minutes left at the end of each section) and almost half the questions I missed were in the logic section. Any input on how much I might be able to raise my scores before the October test date? I can find prep books, but I'm in China so an actual prep course isn't going to happen.

Some prep courses you can take have online classes that you can watch. Not a bad way to go, it is actually cheaper than a regular course.

I took Testmasters and loved it. Here is a link to their online course:

http://www.testmasters.net/lsat/online/ ... ourse.aspx

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:29 am

tdicks wrote:I just took a diagnostic LSAT test (zero previous studying, timed) and got a 160. I didn't have any issues with time (had 1-6 minutes left at the end of each section) and almost half the questions I missed were in the logic section. Any input on how much I might be able to raise my scores before the October test date? I can find prep books, but I'm in China so an actual prep course isn't going to happen.

I think you are in very good shape with a 160 cold test. I'd say that you should reasonably be aiming for 170+; while I am clearly not making any guarantees, I think if you work hard there is a good chance you can hit that benchmark in October. I am assuming serious and consistent study though. I wouldn't worry about the prep course. I think taking tons of practice tests under timed conditions and focusing on correcting your mistakes should help a lot. There are plenty of good prep materials available outside of taking a prep course, and frankly I think many of the highest scorers self-studied in any case. If you don't hit the 170 benchmark, then I would plan to take the test up to 2 more times until you do (or run out of chances trying). Good luck.

bleh

Postby bleh » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:29 am

why do people think diagnostic test is necessary...It's beyond me.
IMO, LSAT is just a bunch of riddles. You need to learn it and learn how to love it.
You can raise as much as you want
basically depends on how much effort you'd like to put into it, I think.

I might be wrong though....I don't know.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:38 am

bleh wrote:why do people think diagnostic test is necessary...It's beyond me.
IMO, LSAT is just a bunch of riddles. You need to learn it and learn how to love it.

Umm didn't you just post that you just decided to take the LSAT and haven't done any studying yet? Best to get some experience with the test before you offer advice IMO. But anyways OP- I got a 160 as a diagnostic and at this point I'm PTing in the mid/high 160s with one 171. I've taken about 6 tests so far. However, I am (I think) unusually bad at LG so if it weren't for that I would be testing in the low 170s. You said "logic" was your worst section, but that applies to multiple sections, so use your diagnostic to figure out your worst section and begin your attack :)

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:17 am

LR or LG?

I firmly believe that everybody can raise their cold diag (if it's a true cold diag) at least 12-15 points. You should definitely be aiming for the 170s.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:25 am

It is possible to raise your cold diagnostic by 10 points. Even more if your worst section was logic games. You need to figure out your weak areas, and drill those question types. The powerscore trilogy ( LR LG RC- maybe RC) is a good reference. There are also online courses that you can do if you are interested. With a cold diagnostic allready in the 160s you may not need a course, unless you want the structure that courses offer. Given that you have 6 plus months until the test, there is plenty of time. Devote a few hours a day for prep- and the further you get into the summer months ( august) the more time you should be devoting to the test. Take a prep test after you have drilled questions and then reviews and analyze your performance and trends that you notice ( you may be noticing that you are missing a specific question types, have difficulty with certain games, or miss the end or beginning sections of the test for instance) You are at a good place to start off at so you should see an increase. Be aware thought that your score may decrease or plateau for a while in the beginning- as you learn how to take the test and focus on your plan of attack for each section. best of luck!( remember you are allready at the 80% of all test takers- there are plenty of people who will study for months and never see a 160 even on a practice test!)

dooood

Postby dooood » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:31 am

incompetentia wrote:

LR or LG?

I firmly believe that everybody can raise their cold diag (if it's a true cold diag) at least 12-15 points. You should definitely be aiming for the 170s.

this

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:34 am

bleh wrote:why do people think diagnostic test is necessary...It's beyond me.

Obvious troll is obvious. GTFO

You are sitting pretty. Get the powerscore stuff, and focus on pithy's guide for improving your lg score. There is no reason you can't clear 170.

sonervous88

Postby sonervous88 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:36 am

yeah at least. you're good!

tdicks

Postby tdicks » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:50 am

Ooops, I meant LG. Like I said, it was a cold diagnostic so I was basically making up section names myself haha.

Anyways, thanks so much for all the input. It was all very helpful. My target range is 173-175, so I have some studying to do, but it's good to know that it's not completely out of the question! Thanks again for all the help!

BrianGriffintheDog

Postby BrianGriffintheDog » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:06 am

Online courses are one option. With that being said, if you can get to 160 without any prepcourses, I say you're in the right path. Why don't try powerscore bibles?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:15 am

Diagnostic: 166

Preptest average: 172

Preptest mode: 171

Preptest high: 174

Preptest low: 168

LSAT: 168

Kurst

Postby Kurst » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:21 am

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:38 pm

I had a diagnostic of 156 two months ago and I'm currently pt'ing in the mid 170s. My score will probably drop by a couple points on the real test, but with enough practice and review (and the bibles) you shouldn't need a prep course to break 170.

tittsburghfeelers

Postby tittsburghfeelers » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:55 pm

incompetentia wrote:

LR or LG?

At least. My cold diag was like a 151. 4 months later, I'm prepping around 164, give or take a few points. Most of the questions that I'm missing are on LR, and are the same types of questions over and over, so once I finally figure out how to consistently answer those correct, I have a reasonable shot at 170+.

handlesthetruth

Postby handlesthetruth » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:13 pm

i raised it 15 points and was PTing 3-4 higher than that at the end. with a 160 DT, there is absolutely no reason you can't get 172+

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:24 pm

152 Diagnostic =>173 Final LSAT

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”