Marx and sufficient and necessary condition

lovejopd

Marx and sufficient and necessary condition

Postby lovejopd » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:14 pm

Hello,

I have a quick question regarding this condition.

When the sentence says "The condition for A is B," does it mean that A is sufficient and B is necessary condition?

When I read Marx's communist manifesto for my Modern Political Thought class, I found this sentence which seems relevant to sufficient and necessary condition. Am I crazy?... :shock:

"The essential condition for the sway of the bourgeois class is ...Capital; the condition for capital is wage-labor. Wage-labor rests exclusively on competition between the laborers"

Can I correctly diagram this sentence as
"The sway of the bourgeois class --> Capital --> Wage-labor --> competition between the laborers"?

BTW, I have to write why "Bourgeoisie's fall and the victory of the proletariat is NOT inevitable" :evil:

I really thank you for your response :D

Jeffort

Re: Marx and sufficient and necessary condition

Postby Jeffort » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:28 pm

Fun stuff. As if reading Marx communist manifesto isn't torture enough, you're trying to diagram it and put it into LSAT thinking!! lol, you are a glutton for punishment right? ha ha

Anyway, yeah, you broke down the sufficient vs. necessary stuff correctly from the full quoted sentence. Notice that the sentence starts with 'The ESSENTIAL condition...' Essential is a synonym for necessary.

The simple sentence you wrote up top "The condition for A is B" by itself is vague and non-determinative of which is sufficient or necessary. It needs additional context and words and stuff to clearly establish which is which.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:36 pm

Once you put in the quote, with the word "essential" it made more sense. Because of parallelism, we can assume the second conditional is setting up the same relationship. The third has "exclusively rests on" which seems to indicate that the condition is also necessary. You win! (the wage laborers lose?)

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:46 am

Thank you guys!

I am glad that I have a correct inference!

I am still reading this manifesto! Marx is much easier than Nietzsche! Nietzsche is way above my head :cry:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”