Is this a reasoning method?

wanderlust

Is this a reasoning method?

Postby wanderlust » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:01 pm

an answer choice says
"shifting the blame for the scandals to XXXX"
June 96, section 1, #2
I'm wondering is this a reasoning method? if yes, how should an argument using this method look like?
Thanks!!

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Re: Is this a reasoning method?

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:03 pm

I guess it's a reasoning method. If blame is considered causation.

Rain and food poisoning is blamed for the wedding being scandalous, but in fact it was all the X that the groom took before the ceremony.

I have shifted blame to XXXX.

wanderlust

Postby wanderlust » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:15 pm

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:I guess it's a reasoning method. If blame is considered causation.

Rain and food poisoning is blamed for the wedding being scandalous, but in fact it was all the X that the groom took before the ceremony.

I have shifted blame to XXXX.

Thanks Noah!
I'm asking this question because my friend says 'shifting the blame' is not a method, but the purpose of the argument
Any insight on the difference between the method of an argument and the purpose of an argument?
Thanks again!

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:30 pm

wanderlust wrote:Thanks Noah!
I'm asking this question because my friend says 'shifting the blame' is not a method, but the purpose of the argument
Any insight on the difference between the method of an argument and the purpose of an argument?
Thanks again!

A statement can be both. Does the question stem say the argument "uses which of the following methods of reasoning"? You could think about this as the argument using the idea of shifting the blame in order to come to the argument's stated conclusion.

wanderlust

Postby wanderlust » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:00 pm

suspicious android wrote:
wanderlust wrote:Thanks Noah!
Thanks again!

A statement can be both. Does the question stem say the argument "uses which of the following methods of reasoning"? You could think about this as the argument using the idea of shifting the blame in order to come to the argument's stated conclusion.

Thanks!!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”