PT 17 Section 2(LR) Q10.. u gotta read this answer choice..! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lakers3peat

Bronze

PT 17 Section 2(LR) Q10.. u gotta read this answer choice..!

Post by lakers3peat » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:38 pm

This question is mind boggling to me. When I took this practice test timed, I actually got this answer correct, by eliminating B C D E then by p.o.e. went with A and double checked by negating it but then when I did the test untimed and I sat down to think about what the answer says, I got it wrong! LOL!

The answer says, 'the oranges that the cafe sells are not throughly washed after harvest but before reaching the cafeteria'

The usage of the word "but" leads me to believe that they are not thoroughly washed after harvest BUTTTTTTTTTT they are washed before reaching the cafeteria.

APPARENTLY, I am wrong lol. It just means they are not thoroughly washed after harvest or before they reach the cafeteria. I just do not understand why the test writers would use the word but instead of or/and.

Can anyone explain this better to me or help me understand this because it just one of the weirdest phrased answer choices I have seen and even though I got it write and the negation makes perfect sense to me, I do not understand the choice as is.

lakers3peat

Bronze

Re: PT 17 Section 2(LR) Q10.. u gotta read this answer choice..!

Post by lakers3peat » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:49 pm

I actually get it now... This just a case/point example of the english language being overly complicated . :twisted:

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:58 pm

but = and

I have yet to encounter an exception to this on the LSAT

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:59 pm

Just like the words AND, OR, but is also a coordinating conjunction.

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:11 pm

"after X but before Y" almost always refers to the period of time between X and Y.

Basically they may have been washed before harvest or after they reached the cafeteria, but they weren't washed between that period.

lakers3peat

Bronze

Post by lakers3peat » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:29 pm

swilson215 wrote: Basically they may have been washed before harvest or after they reached the cafeteria, but they weren't washed between that period.
This.

!!!

It took me a while to wrap my finger around this one for some reason but it's crystal clear now. Thanks for the replies folks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”