PTs in the 40s

KingDave

PTs in the 40s

Postby KingDave » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:47 pm

Anyone know the reason the PTs in the 40s were skipped over when LSAC put together the 10 Actual, Official series? Did you guys generally put less emphasis on these then the tests in the 30s and 50s. I ask this because I've finished all the PTs in the 30s and am scoring pretty well going into the June test and I was just wondering if its worth it to look at the 40s or just buy the newest next 10 book. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Jeffort

Re: PTs in the 40s

Postby Jeffort » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:55 pm

The newest '10 book' skipped over tests in the 40's range because they wanted all 10 tests in the book to be ones with a comparative reading RC passage since current tests feature one.

KingDave

Postby KingDave » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:16 pm

Ah okay that makes a lot of sense thanks.

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:52 pm

Jeffort wrote:The newest '10 book' skipped over tests in the 40's range because they wanted all 10 tests in the book to be ones with a comparative reading RC passage since current tests feature one.

Jeffort, I remember you made a joke about forgeting the 40s. I can't recall in which thread. What was the reason behind it?
I find the PTs in the late 40s to be my favorite. I wish my actual test resembled them :(
What is the main difference between this PTs and the newer ones other than the comparative passage?

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:06 pm

Jeffort wrote:
mac35352 wrote:Whatever happened to the 40s. I guess if we want them we have to buy them separately.

We're trying to forget about the '40s (because of the sudden onset of brutal scales and the fluctuation between some super easy game sections then back to harder ones), just like some people are still trying to forget about the '70s because of the odd fashions and music that also occurred for reasons nobody can explain.

--ImageRemoved--

(This is a must watch youtube!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CiOWcUVGJM

FOUND IT!!!

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Fri May 13, 2011 6:17 pm

mac35352 wrote:
Jeffort wrote:
mac35352 wrote:Whatever happened to the 40s. I guess if we want them we have to buy them separately.

We're trying to forget about the '40s (because of the sudden onset of brutal scales and the fluctuation between some super easy game sections then back to harder ones), just like some people are still trying to forget about the '70s because of the odd fashions and music that also occurred for reasons nobody can explain.

--ImageRemoved--

FOUND IT!!!

Ha ha, I hope you watched the Alcazar youtube, it's classic disco at its finest and also hilarious! It grows on you if you don't like the song first listen.

RE: 40's range PrepTests

Some of the easiest of all time LG sections appeared in the mid to late 40's and early 50's range. Some of the harshest of all time raw to scaled score conversion charts also occurred during that time period. Plus the RC section change occurred as well as there being a brief period LSAC tried out a new writing sample prompt type and was seriously considering making it a graded portion of the exam.

During those several years mass hysteria occurred among students in the rumor mills. (especially in threads here and on other LSAT/LS related discussion forums)

Many people were convinced that hard LG's were a thing of the past never to be seen again on a future test because of the short lived trend, made the mistake of not adequately preparing for harder games and then got punished on test day. Many people obsessing about 'what is the curve going to be?' were convinced that the days of being able to miss 10 or more to score 170 were gone forever. Of course they were proven wrong as well.

That is the type of stuff I was referring to.

The "What are students freaking out and stressing out the most about this year?" chatter changed to "If I'm not sure I'm ready to take it by the deadlines, what is better/worse for admission chances, having an absent or a cancellation on my record?" for roughly the last two years because of the deadline changes LSAC made ~2 years ago that locked people into having something show up on their CAS score report if they didn't withdraw or postpone their test date registration 3 weeks before test day.

Thank god that is now no longer an issue as of the deadline change LSAC announced yesterday and published on their website today.

Now students can get back to mainly stressing out about whether or not they are adequately prepared for the test since those and other issues outside of their control hopefully have been put to rest.

theaether

Postby theaether » Sat May 14, 2011 2:47 pm

Jeffort wrote:
mac35352 wrote:
Jeffort wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

FOUND IT!!!

Ha ha, I hope you watched the Alcazar youtube, it's classic disco at its finest and also hilarious! It grows on you if you don't like the song first listen.

RE: 40's range PrepTests

Some of the easiest of all time LG sections appeared in the mid to late 40's and early 50's range. Some of the harshest of all time raw to scaled score conversion charts also occurred during that time period. Plus the RC section change occurred as well as there being a brief period LSAC tried out a new writing sample prompt type and was seriously considering making it a graded portion of the exam.

During those several years mass hysteria occurred among students in the rumor mills. (especially in threads here and on other LSAT/LS related discussion forums)

Many people were convinced that hard LG's were a thing of the past never to be seen again on a future test because of the short lived trend, made the mistake of not adequately preparing for harder games and then got punished on test day. Many people obsessing about 'what is the curve going to be?' were convinced that the days of being able to miss 10 or more to score 170 were gone forever. Of course they were proven wrong as well.

That is the type of stuff I was referring to.

The "What are students freaking out and stressing out the most about this year?" chatter changed to "If I'm not sure I'm ready to take it by the deadlines, what is better/worse for admission chances, having an absent or a cancellation on my record?" for roughly the last two years because of the deadline changes LSAC made ~2 years ago that locked people into having something show up on their CAS score report if they didn't withdraw or postpone their test date registration 3 weeks before test day.

Thank god that is now no longer an issue as of the deadline change LSAC announced yesterday and published on their website today.

Now students can get back to mainly stressing out about whether or not they are adequately prepared for the test since those and other issues outside of their control hopefully have been put to rest.

always interesting to read about trends, thanks

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”