Suck it up. Take the best internship and study as well for June
45%
Don't do both. The LSAT needs all your attention
55%

Total votes: 11

FloridaCoastalorbust

Softs/study in May or just study? Please help

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:01 pm

Hi all, thanks for your input in advance. Here's my dilemma. I am debating between turning down several internships to study full time in May, thinking that if the extra time accrued from denying the internships were to even give me 1 extra question right come test day, it would be more than worth taking an internship regardless (for the most part) of how prestigious it may be. I'm planning on taking in June and hoping for a 170+, and will be applying with a 3.89. As of right now I am anywhere from 163-169 on PTs and feel that I can break 170+ by June.

I already declined an internship with a public policy institute for this summer. The primary reason was that they would have me working full time in May, and I didn't want to juggle the 30min commute and work time with studying. They assigned me to their senior fellow in con law, something I love, and it was hard to do. But now I have been offered another paid public policy fellowship that includes a great stipend and a series of seminars and networking opportunities in the Midwest and D.C. The unfortunate part is that one of these (mandatory) seminars runs through the first two weeks of June, meaning that I would have to take the LSAT in a foreign location (to me, at least) around the D.C. area while participating in these seminars. I would hate to decline this as well, but don't want to jeopardize my score, at all. I do understand that adcomms probably won't give a shit about this fellowship, anyway.

So what would you do? Ditch the internships and study full time in May (and no WE for the 0L summer) or take it and do both?

zanzbar

Re: Softs/study in May or just study? Please help

Postby zanzbar » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:16 pm

I am kind of the future version of you since I am currently working a 40+ hour a week internship (only difference is I don't get paid) and all I can say is that its really hard to force yourself to study, but I am going to take in June regardless of if I am ready or not, and I am already planning on a retake in October if I am not satisfied with my score. I know this mindset is frowned upon by TLS, but one of my coworkers took the LSAT even when he wasn't prepared but just wanted to see how it would go, and scored a 166 (not great, but when you consider his highest PT before that was a 160 it just demonstrates that you never know how test day is going to go.) My theory is the internship can't hurt you, and you could bomb the June LSAT anyway so take the internship, and if you don't like your score then retake it in October. Now I don't know what your summer will look like, but I am fine with a retake because my internship ends May 30th so I will have all of July and August with no other focus to study, and then only 13 hours of school in September so I will have a ton of more time to study in the summer.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:21 pm

The LSAT is about 100 times more important and breaking into the 170's is usually the hardest bump for most students. Also, have you considered taking the internship and studying for the LSAT after you graduate?

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:59 pm

It depends on you. You know yourself the best- Can you, after 8 hours of work and 1 hour of commuting, go home, have dinner, and then give a preptest your all, or review one, before bed? If you can do this Monday thru Friday, and go all day on the weekends during May, then go for it. 8 hours on the weekends and 5 hours each day during the week is definitely enough hours if that's what you're worried about.

The fact that you are considering dropping your offered internships to study for the test shows that you are dedicated and understand how important the test is, so the only question to be answered is if you think you're capable of such strict time management, and if you think you have the energy to make it through May and early June. If you can, it'll definitely pay off when you can enjoy your paid job for the rest of June, July, and August.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:26 pm

Based on the description of the internships you have been offered, you would be a fool to forgo them in order to sit around during May just doing LSAT prep work.

I have no idea how you generated multiple possibly prestigious intern opportunities that also PAY $$, have you traveling and networking with important people/organizations in DC area, etc. other than magic, connections, or extreme talent, but to let those go just to take the June test would be a fools move.

If your intern opps are as gold plated as they sound, don't throw them away!!!!! You can do the internship and travel thing, take the October test, apply EA/ED with your score from it, build some great softs and resume material along the way (that others would kill for), etc. to have your cake and eat it too. Aside from the application benefits of doing the internship(s), they would provide good 'eye opening' experiences with aspects of the legal system/law as well as good networking opportunities.

How did you get offered several internships that pay and also require you to travel to important places??

Addendum: Tons of LS applicants (both with and without good numbers) struggle every year to come up with good compelling stuff to present/talk about in their application materials/overall presentation to LS's in order to gain admission. Many people with unremarkable ho-hum who cares life experiences/background end up contriving ways in their application materials to try and convince LS admission committees that their time working as a receptionist answering phones or working retail pulling frozen yogurt or that something else of the sort sets them apart from the other applicants they are competing against.

LS adcomms DO take note of this stuff and it DOES matter!
Last edited by Jeffort on Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:10 pm

Jeffort wrote:You can do the internship and travel thing, take the October test, apply EA/ED with your score from it, build some great softs and resume material along the way (that others would kill for), etc.

This. The internship sounds like a great, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:54 pm

Thanks for the advice. I am starting to agree that I will take in June even if I am a point or two off my mark simply because that test-day experience will go a long way in Oct. and most schools will take the highest anyway. It seems that there is general agreement that I should take the internship so long as it doesn't seriously conflict with June.

I am generally set on striding immediately into law school from graduation (think philosophy/political sciences degrees = no jobs w/o grad degree) but have entertained the idea of sitting out next years cycle and sitting in my parents' basement studying for the LSAT a year. But I'd rather not.

Jeffort wrote:
How did you get offered several internships that pay and also require you to travel to important places??

I've been digging under rocks for the past year for the best opportunities a phil/polsci/legal studies UG has and applied to a generous amount of places. If you put in significant amounts of time polishing your essays,writing your application and honing interviewing skills you'd be surprised how far it will take you for this stuff. There are many wonderful public policy options for UGs and several DC/NYC institutes that pay and offer seminars in conjunction as well. But I must add that I've failed much more than I succeeded. But the odds are on your side when you apply to 20+ places :D

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:59 pm

EarlCat wrote:
Jeffort wrote:You can do the internship and travel thing, take the October test, apply EA/ED with your score from it, build some great softs and resume material along the way (that others would kill for), etc.

This. The internship sounds like a great, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

+1

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:23 am

bump thx

whattheheck

Postby whattheheck » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:05 pm

[quote="FloridaCoastalorbust"]bump thx[/quo

INTERNSHIP!!!!!!!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”