Preptest 47, LG (6-11)

caitriona

Preptest 47, LG (6-11)

Postby caitriona » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:05 pm

Can anyone please help me with the subject? Which game is that? I am completely stucked with it. How to do a set-up?

AverageTutoring

Re: Preptest 47, LG (6-11)

Postby AverageTutoring » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:22 pm

caitriona wrote:Can anyone please help me with the subject? Which game is that? I am completely stucked with it. How to do a set-up?

I would categorize this game as linear. You have 7 switches each with two possible positions (on or off). I would create a chart with numbers 1 through 7 across the top, and divide the chart into a grid. Each grid line represents one scenario (just think of grid paper).

You can diagram the rules pretty quickly in this one as well. For example, the rule that says "If switch 1 is on, then 3 and 5 are off" can be diagrammed like,

1--> -3 and -5 (make sure to write down the contraposative!!!)

For switches that are off write "OFF" in the box created by the grid, and for the ones that are on write "ON". Or whatever you want really. You can place X for off or a check mark for on.

The real "trick" in this game is to take care of that pesky third rule! Make sure you keep track of the circuit load because the circuit that corresponds to the load has to be ON! This is very, very important. It actually drives many of the questions.

For example (lets showcase how the third rule is important): Question 8

If exactly TWO switches are turned on, which one must be turned off?

Since exactly two switches are on, the circuit load is 2. But according to our third rule, the circuit with the corresponding number to the circuit load has to be on. In this case, switch 2 must be on! So we know two must be on. But we also know if circuit 4 is on circuit 2 must be off, therefore circuit 4 must be the one that is off!

caitriona

Postby caitriona » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:26 am

Thank you very much! I completely misread this rule. Now after your exlanations I've got this game within 2 minutes.:)

barnum

Postby barnum » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:22 am

I would not classify this game as linear though. It really is just two groups or in/out. 1 through 7 are the variables. You should have a column for on and a column for off.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”