Tutor for LSAT! Need help in gettinig one

noneya

Tutor for LSAT! Need help in gettinig one

Postby noneya » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:48 pm

Can anyone tell me their experience with a tutor for the LSAT? What company did you hire this person from? Did you hire them before or after self study? Did you notice a difference, negative or positive? Would you recommend them?

LoyalRebel

Re: Tutor for LSAT! Need help in gettinig one

Postby LoyalRebel » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:28 pm

Tutor yourself.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:05 pm

Companies don't matter. Find someone who has been doing LSAT tutoring for a long time. Talk to them. If you don't learn something about the LSAT in the first 15 minutes of the conversation, move on.

Preferably don't study before starting with the tutor. Two reasons for this. First, you don't want to form bad habits. Second, your tutor will probably want to do things a different way than you self-studied, and that pretty much means starting over.

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:41 pm

EarlCat wrote:Companies don't matter. Find someone who has been doing LSAT tutoring for a long time. Talk to them. If you don't learn something about the LSAT in the first 15 minutes of the conversation, move on.

Preferably don't study before starting with the tutor. Two reasons for this. First, you don't want to form bad habits. Second, your tutor will probably want to do things a different way than you self-studied, and that pretty much means starting over.

I'll echo your first sentiment but disagree with the latter. My company and I have found that students who come to us after using the Bibles tend to improve more then those that don't. As I was one of those students, once upon a time, I am fairly certain it's because the Bibles provide you with a base which allows you to pin-point your weaknesses even before coming to class/working one on one; and that allows you to get the most out of your time.

That said, I could definitely see it being a problem if students studied material that was in no way similar to our overall strategy. That would likely create some unwanted friction and might be hard to bypass!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”