141 to 154; Help me get to 165!

ElementSparky

141 to 154; Help me get to 165!

Postby ElementSparky » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:38 pm

Hello everyone,

Hope you all are having a good weekend. I started a PR course in March, and initially tested at 141 without any prep (yes, I know...but I attribute this to missing 24 on the LG section just because I didn't even realize there was a method to the madness). I just took my second practice test and scored a 154 (due to a much improved LG section). My goal is to get a 165 in June, so if I average 2 more points on each of the next 5 practice tests, I should be able to meet my goal. However, I have noticed some anomalies in my tests:

1) My weakness is definitely LR: for some reason, in both sections, I do extremely well in the first half of the section and then bomb the second (I would get the first 10 or 15 correct and then miss 8-10 in a row for both sections...). What's going on? I didn't feel burned out at all, but obviously I start losing my concentration. Is there any way I can work on this?

Anyways, I guess what I'm asking is, how realistic is my goal and what can I do to improve in the LR section (especially the more complicated questions). We've yet to touch the advanced skills book and I know more exposure will help me further, but what can I do to make sure this improves?

Thanks for the advice ahead of time!

tittsburghfeelers

Re: 141 to 154; Help me get to 165!

Postby tittsburghfeelers » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:55 pm

ElementSparky wrote:Hello everyone,

Hope you all are having a good weekend. I started a PR course in March, and initially tested at 141 without any prep (yes, I know...but I attribute this to missing 24 on the LG section just because I didn't even realize there was a method to the madness). I just took my second practice test and scored a 154 (due to a much improved LG section). My goal is to get a 165 in June, so if I average 2 more points on each of the next 5 practice tests, I should be able to meet my goal. However, I have noticed some anomalies in my tests:

1) My weakness is definitely LR: for some reason, in both sections, I do extremely well in the first half of the section and then bomb the second (I would get the first 10 or 15 correct and then miss 8-10 in a row for both sections...). What's going on? I didn't feel burned out at all, but obviously I start losing my concentration. Is there any way I can work on this?

Anyways, I guess what I'm asking is, how realistic is my goal and what can I do to improve in the LR section (especially the more complicated questions). We've yet to touch the advanced skills book and I know more exposure will help me further, but what can I do to make sure this improves?

Thanks for the advice ahead of time!

The logical reasoning bible is helping me. I've noticed that on these forums there are two companies that are regarded as the best at making study books: Manhattan and Powerscore. I'm probably going to work through the LR books made by both companies to help me improve my LR because it's my worst section as well. But to answer your question, with the proper amont of studying, you should be able to get a 165. My goal is 168 and while I'm yet to break it on a practice test, I'm inching ever so closer. Good luck!

510Chicken

Postby 510Chicken » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:36 pm

ElementSparky wrote:My weakness is definitely LR: for some reason, in both sections, I do extremely well in the first half of the section and then bomb the second (I would get the first 10 or 15 correct and then miss 8-10 in a row for both sections...). What's going on? I didn't feel burned out at all, but obviously I start losing my concentration.

The first 10-15 are usually the easy ones. Then they get harder.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:31 pm

ElementSparky wrote:I didn't feel burned out at all, but obviously I start losing my concentration. Is there any way I can work on this?

Practice will definitely help with your stamina/concentration.

I've also found that people who seem to lose concentration halfway through can 'fix' the problem by concentrating on whatever method they're using (PR, Blueprint, Kaplan, etc...) and going through every step every time. This will regiment your test taking and condition your brain to always do the same thing on those questions, even when it gets a little tired.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:18 pm

definitely possible, I went from a 158 to a 165 (and was PTing at over 170, I just freeze on test days). I took it in December and then retook it in June. It might be a little late in the game though to improve that much by June. Did you already register? If not, I'd register for the October test instead. If you're committed to the June date: live and breathe the LSAT. I took a testmasters course and it helped me. It was helpful for me because I lack self discipline, it was really hard for me to sit myself down and force myself to study. The bibles also helped. It's hard to give you advice without knowing your specific problem (timing, actual understanding, etc.) If concentration is your only problem, then maybe start doing two LR sections back to back and build up your endurance. Good luck.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”