Are there any ways to work on reducing my reading errors?

youarereadingthis

Are there any ways to work on reducing my reading errors?

Postby youarereadingthis » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:24 am

There are always people with the best tips here on TLS. Here is my major score limiting issue:

Sometimes I find even when I'm doing a question un-timed, I may miss a key word in the stimulus such as "not". Even upon review, I may miss the same word again.

Then when I read again a third or fourth time out loud I'll see it and kick myself for missing it. The logic of the Logical Reasoning section rarely fools me, but sometimes my eyes literally deceive me several times on the same sentence. When I read a question and answer choices correctly in the LR I'm almost never fooled by the logic.

How can I improve the accuracy of my reading? I'm averaging -4 to -5 on LR sections, (both timed and untimed) but I've only seen 5 or 6 questions in all my exams I didn't understand once I re-read it correctly (not 5 or 6 in each section, 5 or 6 in my entire prep history in total).

I'm shooting for 170+ so this amount wrong per section is unacceptable. I would be willing to accept 1 reading error per section, but 2 or more is killing my score.

I have been diagnosed with slight dyslexia as a child, but it hasn't affected me much until this exam where reading and comprehending must occur at such a rapid pace... words just slip by occasionally.

DelDad

Re: Are there any ways to work on reducing my reading errors?

Postby DelDad » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:24 pm

If your errors truly come down to missing particular words in the stimulus, try making a list of those words. Then, each time you start a new page of LR, quickly (15 sec.?) scan the page locating and highlight those words wherever they appear.

You are not trying to understand the questions at that point or even trying to identify the types of questions: all you are doing is flagging those words so that, once you address the question in earnest, your brain cannot ignore the word.

By trying to focus an initial scan on finding "not" or "except" (or any other words that often foul you up), your brain will be able to pick those words out better than it usually does as you try to absorb the whole question at once. Then, as you work through each question in earnest, the word will jump out at you and your brain won't be able to skip over it.

This won't be perfect, as there may be meaning-changing words that you don't anticipate, but it will help.

youarereadingthis

Postby youarereadingthis » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:35 pm

Don't get me wrong, I've made a few logical mistakes on PT's as well, but those are usually only one or zero of my typical 4 mistakes per LR section. It feels like I'm needlessly throwing away points.

I'll try your advice for starters. Any other suggestions?

DelDad

Postby DelDad » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:53 pm

For me, there were certain questions I just knew quickly, and there was no point spending time on them. There were others I needed more time for. On my first pass through a section, I did every LR I could finish confidently within 30 seconds; if I felt like I had to read a stimulus a second time to understand the question or if it looked like I was going to need more than 30 seconds to answer it, I circled the whole question and skipped it. This usually left me with about three minutes or more per difficult question, and that extra focus on the difficult questions reduced my errors from 3-5 per section to 0-1. (total of -1 out of both LR sections on test day).

Also, when checking my section at the end, I checked the easy/quickly answered questions first (including checking for previously missed nots, excepts, and buts)

youarereadingthis

Postby youarereadingthis » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:10 pm

DelDad wrote:For me, there were certain questions I just knew quickly, and there was no point spending time on them. There were others I needed more time for. On my first pass through a section, I did every LR I could finish confidently within 30 seconds; if I felt like I had to read a stimulus a second time to understand the question or if it looked like I was going to need more than 30 seconds to answer it, I circled the whole question and skipped it. This usually left me with about three minutes or more per difficult question, and that extra focus on the difficult questions reduced my errors from 3-5 per section to 0-1. (total of -1 out of both LR sections on test day).

Also, when checking my section at the end, I checked the easy/quickly answered questions first (including checking for previously missed nots, excepts, and buts)

Awesome advice. This definitely makes sense. Thank you.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”