PT 18 S3 #17 - Reading Comp Question

Eichörnchen

PT 18 S3 #17 - Reading Comp Question

Postby Eichörnchen » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:16 pm

Hey everyone, I am reviewing PT 18 and I got one question wrong in RC, yet I am still unsure as to why the correct answer is definitely correct. #17 asks what about the Cherokee council can be inferred from the passage. I chose E because I was unsure about all the choices, but D is correct. D lays out that :

1. It didn't have complete autonomy in the governing the Cherokee Nation

2. The council was able to set some policies affecting the activities of whites living in tribal areas (I saw this in the passage in lines 45-48 "Most members...supported a move which preserved many of the reforms of the part-cherokee elite, but limited the activities and influence of the missionaries and other whites.")

So I know that the second part of this statement is correct, but the first part of answer D is what threw me off. Did anybody get this question correct and knows where they found the info that supports the first part?

soj

Re: PT 18 S3 #17 - Reading Comp Question

Postby soj » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:21 am

That was a tough passage. It took me 10:15 and I got Q19 wrong. As for Q17:

I think the strongest support is in line 19: "Missionaries did have a decisive impact."

There are also subtler clues throughout the passage that suggests that while the Cherokee were able to limit the missionaries' influence or even subsume it for their own purposes, they were unable to eliminate that influence. This can be found in lines 31-32: "These revivals [of traditional religious beliefs] did not ... undermine the elitist reforms." (This one's a little weak because it's also possible that the Cherokee were able but unwilling to undermine the reforms.)

Finally, notice that paragraph 1 sets out a popular assumption that the end of the Cherokee Nation's "economic and political autonomy would automatically mean the end of its cultural autonomy." The author goes about attacking this conditional reasoning not by denying that economic and political autonomy was diminished at all, but by arguing that despite losses in economic and political autonomy, the Cherokee Nation was able to foster a vibrant, at least partly autonomous culture. In fact, if the Cherokee had maintained economic and political autonomy, then the author's attack on the assumption in paragraph 1 would not be successful. (Not A & Not B does not successfully attack the conditional reasoning A -> B.)

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:22 am

soj wrote:That was a tough passage. It took me 10:15 and I got Q19 wrong. As for Q17:

I think the strongest support is in line 19: "Missionaries did have a decisive impact."

There are also subtler clues throughout the passage that suggests that while the Cherokee were able to limit the missionaries' influence or even subsume it for their own purposes, they were unable to eliminate that influence. This can be found in lines 31-32: "These revivals [of traditional religious beliefs] did not ... undermine the elitist reforms." (This one's a little weak because it's also possible that the Cherokee were able but unwilling to undermine the reforms.)

Finally, notice that paragraph 1 sets out a popular assumption that the end of the Cherokee Nation's "economic and political autonomy would automatically mean the end of its cultural autonomy." The author goes about attacking this conditional reasoning not by denying that economic and political autonomy was diminished at all, but by arguing that despite losses in economic and political autonomy, the Cherokee Nation was able to foster a vibrant, at least partly autonomous culture. In fact, if the Cherokee had maintained economic and political autonomy, then the author's attack on the assumption in paragraph 1 would not be successful. (Not A & Not B does not successfully attack the conditional reasoning A -> B.)

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I agree with you, especially about the bolded part. I think this is the crux of it. I am still surprised because that seemed so subtle to me in the passage! I guess sometimes you have to read with a microscope. I also thought 19 was tricky and I was extremely close to getting it wrong - I bubbled the wrong answer and changed it during the extra time I had in the section. In my review of the PT I wrote about 19:

My first choice, (B), is incorrect because it says that the traditionalist majority thought most of the reforms from the missionary converts would corrupt Cherokee culture. This is untrue, because of lines 35-41 which discuss how many traditionalists did not reject the reforms outright and saw ways in which they could be useful. (C) is correct because of lines 21-31, which state that the missionaries’ tendency to cater to their converts caused intra-tribal tensions, which caused the traditionalists to react by reviving traditional practices. This is pretty much reiterated in (C). I think I used by own bias of thinking “traditionalists – that makes sense that they would balk at the reforms and think that they’re damaging to culture”.

Thanks for clearing up 17 for me - that was driving me crazy :)

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:45 am

Q17 took me forever to decide on. I first eliminated D but ended up selecting it because of the Cherokee Nation's ability to set their own policies on their own land - so to me the inference was there that, because the Cherokee can set their own policies on their own land, if white people live on that land, then those policies would effect them.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:12 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Q17 took me forever to decide on. I first eliminated D but ended up selecting it because of the Cherokee Nation's ability to set their own policies on their own land - so to me the inference was there that, because the Cherokee can set their own policies on their own land, if white people live on that land, then those policies would effect them.

Yea the second part of the answer choice, that the council was able to set some policies affecting the activities of whites living in tribal areas, was easy for me to spot, but the first part, that they didn't have autonomy, was hard for me to find. I sort of thought they were pulling the classic trick of throwing in an answer that's "half-right". I'll have to redo this again with fresh eyes and see if I was having an off moment or if it really is just that subtle of an inference.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”