Almost always come up with two answer choices! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
175lsat

New

Almost always come up with two answer choices!

Post by 175lsat » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:15 am

I almost always come up with two answer choices while doing LR and RC.
Is this normal, or is it just me?

suspicious android

Silver

Re: Almost always come up with two answer choices!

Post by suspicious android » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:25 am

This is normal.

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:25 am

When your review your tests, write a paragraph about how the right answer was correct and another paragraph on why the wrong answer was incorrect. Do this for every problem you miss, as well as every problem with which you have trouble.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:00 am

In general, it seems like there is usually 2 strong answer choices, and the other 3 can be dismissed fairly quickly. But obviously, only one of those two is right. So it seems like you're on the right track, but you should analyze why the answer is in fact the ONLY true answer.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Silver

Post by Manhattan LSAT Noah » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:14 pm

In general, don't compare the two answers. Instead, compare them to the argument, passage.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:41 pm

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:In general, don't compare the two answers. Instead, compare them to the argument, passage.
This is good. I think on the SAT, there's a lot of emphasis on comparing answer choices to see which one is different and therefore correct. I think the LSAT writers make sure that the strategies people learn on easier tests don't frequently help on the LSAT. Though, I may be overthinking things here.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:42 pm

You need to hone your skills in identifying why answers are wrong/right. one answer is clearly right while you are also being sucked into a trap answer that is certifiably wrong, but you dont know how to identify it. Do the LR Bible.

For LR do a section and then question by question review it like this on a flashcard/word processing

1. Determine the question type.
2. Write out what the stimulus tries to impart to you in a nutshell
3. Determine what the question is really asking you via question stem
4. For each answer explain exactly why it is wrong or right. Try not to categorize too many as "Irrelevant" and be specific as to why it is not right.
5. For the right answer explain what makes it right and if you got it wrong, why you didnt think it was right.

It will take you an hour or two per PT but you will be an LR master very soon. I went from missing 15 on my first LSAT in LR to like 4 on my final one.

SanDiegoJake

Bronze

Post by SanDiegoJake » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:51 pm

Yes, it's normal to narrow it down to the credited response and the 2nd best answer. Almost everyone who misses a question picks the 2nd best answer. My only advice here is this. When narrowed down to 2, focus on looking for why one of the answers is more wrong, not why one of the answers is more right. Wrong answers are wrong for real reasons. Right answers are often right just because they're better than the other 4.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”