PT31, Game 1 - "Locker Assignments"

Easy-E

PT31, Game 1 - "Locker Assignments"

Postby Easy-E » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:05 pm

Up to this point I've been doing great with the advanced linear games, usually I find some inference that lets me draw at least two frames to work with, which I personally find to be more effective than drawing for each question. But this game, involving assigning boys and girls to five lockers, has got me stumped. I honestly can't even figure out how to approach it, it just seems like theirs too many possibilities and not enough restrictions to really start with anything. All I get from the rules as far as the initial diagram is that F is on the third locker, and it must be either N or T with him IF he shares the locker. So, that doesn't really get me anywhere. Can anyone give me an idea of how they went at this one?? I'd really appreciate it!

510Chicken

Re: PT31, Game 1 - "Locker Assignments"

Postby 510Chicken » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:42 pm

The starting information is a bit sparse. A lot of the restrictions come from the questions. Spoilers ahead!

1.Because there are 4/5 lockers must be occupied by boys. The last MUST be used by Rachel, since she is alone. Since a boy occupies all of the other lockers, the other two girls must share with them. Juan needs to share, according to the given rules. So (E).

__ __ T __ N
M __ F __ J

N must be at 5 because she cannot be next to T (~2/4) and M is alone at 1. J Must be at 5 with N since he has to share and T is sharing with F. R is at 2/4, since she must be alone. So (B).

3. Because the boys occupy consecutively numbered lockers and 5 is occupied, they must use 2-5. Rachel must use 1 as a result. You know the answer is (C) or (D) because Rachel is in 1. Juan is given at 5. Because Juan must share, either T or N are with him. That means that 4 cannot be used, since T cannot be next to N. So (D).

4. Rachel takes up one slot to herself (-1). Fred must be at third (-1). 5-2 = 3. So (C).

5. If the first three are girls, then Rachel must be in locker 2, separating T/N. Fred must be 3, and Juan must share. Since 2 can only go with R, J must be in 1 and share it with either T/N. So (A).

6. This is basically the same as 5. The three girls must be in the last 3 lockers since the first two are solos. R must separate T/N (occupy 4). So (C).

I hope that wasn't terribly confusing.

Edit: Fixed the answer to 3.

Easy-E

Re: PT31, Game 1 - "Locker Assignments"

Postby Easy-E » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:02 pm

510Chicken wrote:The starting information is a bit sparse. A lot of the restrictions come from the questions. Spoilers ahead!

1.Because there are 4/5 lockers must be occupied by boys. The last MUST be used by Rachel, since she is alone. Since a boy occupies all of the other lockers, the other two girls must share with them. Juan needs to share, according to the given rules. So (E).

__ __ T __ N
M __ F __ J

N must be at 5 because she cannot be next to T (~2/4) and M is alone at 1. J Must be at 5 with N since he has to share and T is sharing with F. R is at 2/4, since she must be alone. So (B).

3. Because the boys occupy consecutively numbered lockers and 5 is occupied, they must use 2-5. Rachel must use 1 as a result. You know the answer is (C) or (D) because Rachel is in 1. Juan is given at 5. Because Juan must share, either T or N are with him. That means that 4 cannot be used, since T cannot be next to N. So (D).

4. Rachel takes up one slot to herself (-1). Fred must be at third (-1). 5-2 = 3. So (C).

5. If the first three are girls, then Rachel must be in locker 2, separating T/N. Fred must be 3, and Juan must share. Since 2 can only go with R, J must be in 1 and share it with either T/N. So (A).

6. This is basically the same as 5. The three girls must be in the last 3 lockers since the first two are solos. R must separate T/N (occupy 4). So (C).

I hope that wasn't terribly confusing.

Edit: Fixed the answer to 3.

Ahh, I guess I just became too comfortable with banking on some big initial inference. This helps greatly, thank you very much. Suffice to say I'll be putting this one into my "retry" folder :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”