Where do I go from here?

Yeshia90

Where do I go from here?

Postby Yeshia90 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:31 am

Hey, guys. New to the site, though I've been lurking intermittently for a couple months.

I'm just starting to study for the June LSAT. I signed up for a Testmasters course and we had our first diagnostic on Thursday. I went in entirely cold and got a 166--I know that's a pretty good score, but my question is how much room there really is to improve. My biggest problem in that regard might be my best asset, in that I finished each section with about 10 minutes to spare (I have raging ADD and can speed-read)--and I was about equally good on each section. (To elaborate, I got 3 wrong on logic games, 7 wrong total on the 2 reasoning sections, and 4 wrong on the reading comprehension.)

I guess this is for anyone who had similar experiences. I've been aiming for that 170-173 range (with nothing to base that off, just that I figured it would be good enough to get me into a pretty good law school) since I started doing a little bit of research--and I figure every point will be huge, since my GPA (~3.5, after this semester) isn't blowing anyone out of the water.

I signed up for a class not because I figured it would teach me all that much I couldn't learn on my own--I'm a pretty decent autodidact--but to force me to commit 10 hours a week--and then closer to 20 with all the diagnostics and jam sessions in the summer--to studying for this test. Now I'm just a little concerned that I'm getting ahead of myself.

Do you have any tips? Any idea of where I should be aiming, or schools I should be looking at? How much I can realistically improve? Whether I'll be getting my money's worth from Testmasters? I'm really not trying to brag or anything like that, I'm just admittedly ignorant of the LSAT and law school admissions process, and haven't really done much research or work other than looking over the graphs at lawschoolnumbers.com and going to a couple pre-law advising sessions at my school.
Last edited by Yeshia90 on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:03 am, edited 4 times in total.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Re: Where do I go from here?

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:45 am

PSUdevon wrote:Hey, guys. New to the site, though I've been lurking for a couple months.

I'm just starting to study for the June LSAT. I signed up for a Testmasters course and we had our first diagnostic on Thursday. I went in entirely cold and got a 166--I know that's a pretty good score, but my question is how much room there really is to improve. My biggest problem in that regard might be my best asset, in that I finished each section with about 10 minutes to spare--and I was about equally good on each section.

I guess this is for anyone who had similar experiences. I've been aiming for that 170-173 range (with nothing to base that off, just that I figured it would be good enough to get me into a pretty good law school) since I started doing a little bit of research--and I figure every point will be huge, since my GPA (~3.5, after this semester) isn't blowing anyone out of the water.

I signed up for a class not because I figured it would teach me all that much I couldn't learn on my own--I'm a pretty decent autodidact--but to force me to commit 10 hours a week--and then closer to 20 with all the diagnostics and jam sessions in the summer--to studying for this test. Now I'm just a little concerned that I'm getting ahead of myself.

Do you have any tips? Any idea of where I should be aiming, or schools I should be looking at? How much I can realistically improve?

It's rare to see a PT 166 (some trolls may disagree). Aim for a 180. If the majority of your misses were in logic games, you have a real opportunity to score 178+ with a lot of dedication. Your score is really up to you at this point. Spend some time on TLS and understand the importance of the LSAT and how much a great score can do for you. Good luck

lawfuture10

Postby lawfuture10 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:46 am

If you took a legit, timed exam and scored 166 cold, you need to take the next two months and study like it is your full time job. Im talkin 40 hours a week. That or reschedule and don't take it until October, study according to your schedule, obviously cranking it up toward the end.

Its very possible to improve 10+ points, and if you score in the 175+ range, you could go almost anywhere that you wanted to. T6 very possible.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:38 am

lawfuture10 wrote:If you took a legit, timed exam and scored 166 cold, you need to take the next two months and study like it is your full time job. Im talkin 40 hours a week. That or reschedule and don't take it until October, study according to your schedule, obviously cranking it up toward the end.

Its very possible to improve 10+ points, and if you score in the 175+ range, you could go almost anywhere that you wanted to. T6 very possible.

See, this is going to me totally proving my ignorance here--just how gigantic is the difference between, say, Georgetown and George Washington? Maybe it's because I'd resigned myself to looking at tier 1--but below the T14 schools, back when I had a much lower GPA and no idea how I'd do on the LSAT--but I don't think I really want to work at a giant law firm--I have heard the BIGLAW horror stories, though I'm not entirely sure what I really want to do with that JD. In a perfect world, I suppose I'd be an agent or involved in sports or entertainment law. I guess I was really groomed towards law school for as long as I can remember--and have two thoroughly worthless majors (political science and sociology) that are, essentially, "prelaw."

I know I'm not organized enough or committed enough to do what you're suggesting--I'll take it in June and sit on that unless I don't improve at all (being from the suburbs of New York, and wanting to go to school either in the city here or D.C., ideally, I'd be fairly happy with Fordham, which has been my aim since I started looking [am I selling myself short?])--which is what I did when I took the SAT--I got a 2210 with little prep in the summer, and didn't bother with a retake. Again, I know I wouldn't be able to push myself to do much if I weren't taking a course, and it's going to be difficult, but I'm going to try and hold myself to not getting a job and studying every day over the summer.

I'm sure I'm missing everything, and am being a total noob who's showing his lack of knowledge here, but then let this be my crash course in everything I need to know. I'd be more than glad to answer anything you can ask, since I'm trying to absorb as much as I can about the whole process.

Kurst

Postby Kurst » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:40 am

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:30 am

166 diagnostic? If you don't get a 180, I, and everyone else on this site, will hunt you down and kill you. No lie.

But seriously, there is NO reason for you to be aiming for anything less than a perfect score here. Work hard. HTH

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:37 am

166 -> 180 is 1000% possible, especially with the distributions you currently have. It seems like the concepts won't be that much of an issue for you.

As somebody with similar numbers, PM me if you have any specific questions.

glewz

Postby glewz » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:46 am

incompetentia wrote:166 -> 180 is 1000% possible

Seriously? It's not easy at all to improve from high 160s to 180. Work hard OP, comments in this forum do not justify using that hall pass. GL

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:49 am

I'm not saying that work doesn't need to be put in. Just saying that it's been done, and will continue to be done.

Especially if that 166 is cold.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:50 am

incompetentia wrote:I'm not saying that work doesn't need to be put in. Just saying that it's been done, and will continue to be done.

Yeah, I guess my biggest problem would be that the most learnable section seems to be the one I did best on, right?

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:58 am

PSUdevon wrote:
incompetentia wrote:I'm not saying that work doesn't need to be put in. Just saying that it's been done, and will continue to be done.

Yeah, I guess my biggest problem would be that the most learnable section seems to be the one I did best on, right?

It looks like the distribution is fairly even. Once you get under -4 per section, you usually have at most one weakness, and the rest is just making mistakes or getting tripped up by the tricksy things they do, even in RC or LR.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:34 pm

incompetentia wrote:
PSUdevon wrote:

It looks like the distribution is fairly even. Once you get under -4 per section, you usually have at most one weakness, and the rest is just making mistakes or getting tripped up by the tricksy things they do, even in RC or LR.

Especially with 10 minutes left in each section. Figure out the questions that you're most likely to get wrong, and then go back and check them with your spare time. You should easily be able to get 5-6 more points just from double checking the ones that you look back on as dumb mistakes.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”