Wedding in a different state before LSAT?

azizi

Wedding in a different state before LSAT?

Postby azizi » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:09 pm

I'm planning to take the LSATs this June 6th in California and a buddy of mine is getting married in Texas on June 4th. I do want to attend his wedding, but at the same time this would cause a big distraction in my final days of study and the day before the LSAT. I'm really stuck whether I should attend the wedding or not?

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

buckilaw

Re: Wedding in a different state before LSAT?

Postby buckilaw » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:18 pm

You could always swap your testing center to be close to the wedding. IMO, if you think anything will negatively impact your LSAT performance think long and hard about whether the risk is worth it to you.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:24 pm

azizi wrote:I'm really stuck whether I should attend the wedding or not?

That you said this, instead of "I'm really stuck whether I should take the LSAT or not" should give you your answer. A couple things to consider: 1) The LSAT will always be there, your friend may only be getting married this once. 2) You shouldn't be doing that much studying 2 days before the LSAT anyway because you will burn yourself out before the actual test (but that plane ride back could be a bitch).

Back to what I first said. At least unconsciously, you care more about the LSAT. Prioritize, then decide.

leche

Postby leche » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:01 pm

I am also going to a wedding in a different state that weekend. I figure I'm just going to study super hard the weeks beforehand. You don't want to study too hard the week before anyway, because you may burn out. That happened to me last time (June 6th will be my second LSAT). So I figure it's sort of a blessing in disguise, because if I were at home I'd be stressing and studying too much. Go to the wedding.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:13 pm

If you decide to do both, change your test center to Texas, stay the extra day or two and take it there. Flying with everything involved is tiring and stressful, you don't want that right before test day when you should be trying to get into your 'LSAT zen zone'.

Also, if you do both, noooooooooo drinking or late night crazy partying at the wedding events! If you stay and take it in TX, the wedding weekend could work to de-stress you for Monday.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:26 pm

You can't cram for the LSAT, so don't try. Going to a wedding will not make you less skilled at the LSAT. As long as you don't wear (or stress) yourself out, all is well. Use the wedding as the cutoff for your practice. Forget about all things LSAT and enjoy the wedding. Eat cake, stay (mostly) sober, and relax the next day.

I don't think flying is that big a deal since you're flying west (gaining hours) and the test isn't until the next afternoon. If flying makes you stressed and tired, move the test center near the wedding. No reason to skip your friend's wedding IMHO.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:54 pm

Change the test center to a location near the wedding. Go to the wedding- and use that as a cutoff for your prep. If you dont like where you are at by the wedding date- then take an absence. The wedding ( as long as you dont get wasted) will be a good mind reliever- and staying an extra day or 2 will prevent the stress of flying back to your original location. ( and you will have more time to relax).

Worst case is that you end up not taking the test in June- and go for October. Best case is you have a good time at the wedding- then do well on the test. Best of luck to you and to your friends.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:58 pm

What kind of "friend" schedules his or her wedding on the weekend before the LSAT?

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:17 pm

azizi wrote:1) The LSAT will always be there, your friend may only be getting married this once.

Am I the only one who thinks it's depressing that it's common to say stuff like this nowadays? :( Haha. You shouldn't be studying right before the LSAT so go have fun and be glad you have something to take your mind off of it. The rest of us will all be feeling a sense of impending dread. If they are a good friend, you'll always regret that you weren't there for the most important day of their life, and you'll probably wonder, "what if..." which is never good.

WhatSarahSaid

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:41 pm

I went to a wedding on the Saturday before the June LSAT. The circumstances were a bit different (I was about 500 miles away), and I got into the city I tested in about 24 hours before the test.

In terms of what I did the weekend before the test, it was the best decision I could have made.

What time will you be getting back on Sunday?

polevaulter

Postby polevaulter » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:08 am

azizi wrote:I'm planning to take the LSATs this June 6th in California and a buddy of mine is getting married in Texas on June 4th. I do want to attend his wedding, but at the same time this would cause a big distraction in my final days of study and the day before the LSAT. I'm really stuck whether I should attend the wedding or not?

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

I wouldn't go--it's too close to LSAT time. If he is a true friend, he will understand. This is your life!

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:24 am

Depends.

If you're PTing above your target goal, go. If not, a retake is on the horizon.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”