Negation technique for an answer choice, need help

secretad

Negation technique for an answer choice, need help

Postby secretad » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:03 pm

How would I negate this answer choice? I realize the negation technique of answer choices on necessary assumption questions negate the action verb of an answer choice. However, what if you have the word only? Do I go after it instead of the action verb?

"Only findings that an investigator purposely seeks can directly bear on that investigator's research."

Do I need to go after the action verb, which in this case, is "can directly bear" to say "cannot directly bear?"

I also understand that I could place, "it is not the case" before an answer choice, but I would like to learn a better technique for a situation like the one above.

dakatz

Re: Negation technique for an answer choice, need help

Postby dakatz » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:05 pm

secretad wrote:How would I negate this answer choice? I realize the negation technique of answer choices on necessary assumption questions negate the action verb of an answer choice. However, what if you have the word only? Do I go after it instead of the action verb?

"Only findings that an investigator purposely seeks can directly bear on that investigator's research."

Do I need to go after the action verb, which in this case, is "can directly bear" to say "cannot directly bear?"

I also understand that I could place, "it is not the case" before an answer choice, but I would like to learn a better technique for a situation like the one above.

The best way is to say "it is not the case". I never get a necessary assumption question wrong using that technique. There is no single action verb for you to negate. You have it exactly right but saying "it is not the case". The "cannot directly bear" just sounds weird, will confuse you, and is wrong anyway. Just goes to show how trying to single out an action verb to negate will do nothing but confuse you with such long clauses. The only alternative I can think of is to come up with a logical opposite. So if the only findings that an investigator purposefully seeks can... blah blah blah, then the logical opposite in real world speak is that any findings of an investigator can directly bear on his research. This would be the opposite of saying that only a portion of his findings (those he purposefully seeks) can bear on his research. Don't be so closely tied to the specific wording. You can play around with it, as long as you have the concept in your head.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:09 pm

It's a feel thing. Adding "it is not the case" in front of that clause doesn't provide much clarity for me.

I'd say, "Even findings the investigator wasn't purposefully seeking can directly bear on his research".

secretad

Postby secretad » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:21 pm

I appreciate the responses.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:49 pm

Not only... Other things can too.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”