Unless statements and one another thing

secretad

Unless statements and one another thing

Postby secretad » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:09 pm

I understand that unless statements are to be diagrammed by either replacing the word unless with if not....or by the same token...letting unless introduce the sufficient condition and negating what came before the unless and having that be the necessary condition.

However, I want to gain further insight into the unless statement.

I have asked this before, but I received mixed comments. I also wanted clarification on something else (see bottom of post).

"I will go to school unless I am sick."

If not sick ---> school

or

If not school ---> sick

So this unless statement precludes the possibility of me winning the lottery as an another reason to not go to school? I believe it does. I ask this because I want to fundamentally understand and confirm my notion of unless statements precluding all other options except that idea being introduced by unless.

Also, my second question. I often hear people say, "Not only is this school known for this (item 1), but it is also known for this (item 2)."

Does this quotation preclude the idea of there being other things that the school is known for, such as a third item? My understanding is that the statement does not preclude the idea of the school being known for a third item or fourth item.

dakatz

Re: Unless statements and one another thing

Postby dakatz » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:17 pm

Last edited by dakatz on Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:17 pm

secretad wrote:I understand that unless statements are to be diagrammed by either replacing the word unless with if not....or by the same token...letting unless introduce the sufficient condition and negating what came before the unless and having that be the necessary condition.

I have asked this before, but I received mixed comments. I also wanted clarification on something else (see bottom of post).

If not sick ---> school

or

If not school ---> sick

So this unless statement precludes the possibility of me winning the lottery as an another reason to not go to school? I believe it does. I ask this because I want to fundamentally understand and confirm my notion of unless statements precluding all other options except that idea being introduced by unless.

Yes. If you are not sick, you will be at school. And if you are not at school, you are sick.

However, if you are at school, you can still be sick.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:19 pm

secretad wrote:I understand that unless statements are to be diagrammed by either replacing the word unless with if not....or by the same token...letting unless introduce the sufficient condition and negating what came before the unless and having that be the necessary condition.

If not sick ---> school

or

If not school ---> sick

Also, my second question. I often hear people say, "Not only is this school known for this (item 1), but it is also known for this (item 2)."

Does this quotation preclude the idea of there being other things that the school is known for, such as a third item? My understanding is that the statement does not preclude the idea of the school being known for a third item or fourth item.

yes, unless = if not

so 1) yes this sentence says THE ONLY reason you'll miss school is sickness.

2) but is a conjunction, logically speaking. treat it like "and", it does not preclude other properties (unless its the contradicting property)

Ie: "this ball is soft, but also red" does not preclude that ball being, flat, or bouncy, or in your hand, or on the table, etc.

it does preclude it being "not soft" and "not red"

secretad

Postby secretad » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:23 pm

Thanks guys. I was of the same understanding. Did not want to carry incorrect thinking with me on the day of the test.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”