... Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Eichörnchen

Silver

Re: 3link's LSAT Preparation Spreadsheet

Post by Eichörnchen » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:34 pm

Great that this got stickied.

edit -

I know that earlier in the thread, 3link said that it is not mac compatible, but the previous version worked on my mac after I downloaded the excel mac converter, but the new version comes up with an error message saying it can't be converted. Anybody find a way around it?

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:59 am

I imagine that it's possible to use some of the spreadsheet's functions on a Mac, but the major components of the spreadsheet use macros (VBA). It's my understanding that Macs can't use VBA yet. I don't see how it's possible to run this at complete functionality without VBA.

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:46 pm

Sadface. Awesome resource for non-mac users though.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:51 pm

Sorry :(

But I hear the newest version of Office for Macs will run VBA. Not sure it was released yet.

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:10 pm

3|ink wrote:Sorry :(

But I hear the newest version of Office for Macs will run VBA. Not sure it was released yet.
Hmm...Will investigate. Either way, you deserve your sticky. Great work. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:26 am

Found a potential issue. Some of you may have seen the following error:

I've run this spreadsheet on five different computers in the past and I had never encountered this problem before this morning when I attempted to run the spreadsheet on my new laptop. I received this error message when attempting to input data into the "schedule" sheet. I have isolated and resolved the problem. The download links in the OP have been updated.

clouds101

New

Post by clouds101 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:30 am

Blink, thanks so much for making this spreadsheet. This must have taken so many hours to make!!

I tried using it on my mac but it's superrrr slow, as in I have to wait like 10 seconds to move from one box to the next. Just wanted to give you the heads up on that.

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:06 am

Link,

Sell this to a preptest company, this is awesome and will be tracking my progress up to October as well!

Thanks again

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:04 am

clouds101 wrote:Blink, thanks so much for making this spreadsheet. This must have taken so many hours to make!!

I tried using it on my mac but it's superrrr slow, as in I have to wait like 10 seconds to move from one box to the next. Just wanted to give you the heads up on that.
Clouds,

I'll update the OP today as I should have done forever ago, but this spreadsheet really can't work on Macs at this time. The problem is that this spreadsheet relies heavily on VBA code to perform some of the automated functions. VBA is essential. However, Mac's version of office doesn't recognize VBA code.

Regarding the slowness, I really can't account for that with certainty. I can only theorize.

1.) Mac's version of excel trying to read a complicated spreadsheet that was designed on a PC version of excel?
2.) Mac's version of excel attempting to read the VBA? Do you have Office 2011?

The "schedule" sheet has a "worksheet change" macro built into it. In other words, every time you move from one cell to the next, the spreadsheet updates itself. Thus, most users will experience some delay (usually less than one second) when moving from one cell to the next. Ten seconds is more than I've ever experienced.

Anyway, at this time I simply cannot guarantee that you will see satisfactory performance from this spreadsheet on a Mac version of excel. I apologize for the inconvenience. I recently bought a mac myself. Once I buy mac’s version of office (sometime next month), I’ll get to work on a mac compatible version.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

clouds101

New

Post by clouds101 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:41 am

3|ink wrote:
clouds101 wrote:Blink, thanks so much for making this spreadsheet. This must have taken so many hours to make!!

Clouds,

I'll update the OP today as I should have done forever ago, but this spreadsheet really can't work on Macs at this time. The problem is that this spreadsheet relies heavily on VBA code to perform some of the automated functions. VBA is essential. However, Mac's version of office doesn't recognize VBA code.

Regarding the slowness, I really can't account for that with certainty. I can only theorize.

1.) Mac's version of excel trying to read a complicated spreadsheet that was designed on a PC version of excel?
2.) Mac's version of excel attempting to read the VBA? Do you have Office 2011?

The "schedule" sheet has a "worksheet change" macro built into it. In other words, every time you move from one cell to the next, the spreadsheet updates itself. Thus, most users will experience some delay (usually less than one second) when moving from one cell to the next. Ten seconds is more than I've ever experienced.

Anyway, at this time I simply cannot guarantee that you will see satisfactory performance from this spreadsheet on a Mac version of excel. I apologize for the inconvenience. I recently bought a mac myself. Once I buy mac’s version of office (sometime next month), I’ll get to work on a mac compatible version.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for generously addressing my concern!

SYoshi11

New

Post by SYoshi11 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:18 am

thank you so much!

A few questions/issues: excel keeps saying, "a formula in this worksheet contains one or more invalid references"

Also, when I go to the trends page, I can't create/access any graphs. I keep being told that it cannot run the macro -- despite going to trust center and adjusting the settings as appropriate.

I'm not too great with computers -- what am I missing?

Again, thank you SO MUCH. This is awesome.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:48 am

SYoshi11 wrote:thank you so much!

A few questions/issues: excel keeps saying, "a formula in this worksheet contains one or more invalid references"

Also, when I go to the trends page, I can't create/access any graphs. I keep being told that it cannot run the macro -- despite going to trust center and adjusting the settings as appropriate.

I'm not too great with computers -- what am I missing?

Again, thank you SO MUCH. This is awesome.
A few questions:

1.) Mac or PC?
2.) What version of excel? (2003, 2007, 2010)?
3.) Did you put the correct dates in the LSAT Date and Prep. Test Start date? You will usually see the invalid inferences message if/when the "Prep. Test start Date" is a later date than the "LSAT Date". If not, it may be another problem.

SYoshi11

New

Post by SYoshi11 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:39 am

1) PC
2) 2010
3) I believe I have that right.

I woke up today, and most the error messages have disappeared :)

For the 'average misses per section graph' somehow its saying I average 19 LG and 12 RC wrong "per section" -- my lowest on each of those has been 4 and 7 respectively...

Anyhow, this is an amazing tool and I can't tell you how helpful its been. So, a major thanks to you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:27 pm

SYoshi11 wrote:1) PC
2) 2010
3) I believe I have that right.

I woke up today, and most the error messages have disappeared :)

For the 'average misses per section graph' somehow its saying I average 19 LG and 12 RC wrong "per section" -- my lowest on each of those has been 4 and 7 respectively...

Anyhow, this is an amazing tool and I can't tell you how helpful its been. So, a major thanks to you.
I can't tell what's up with that. Would you mind emailing a copy of your spreadsheet to i3linkez@gmail.com so I can isolate the problem?

the_pakalypse

Bronze

Post by the_pakalypse » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:13 pm

I'm kinda confused about what the average function underneath the Practice Tests Trend part is supposed to represent because it gives me some pretty crazy numbers(not my PT average progress as I had previously assumed).

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:45 pm

the_pakalypse wrote:I'm kinda confused about what the average function underneath the Practice Tests Trend part is supposed to represent because it gives me some pretty crazy numbers(not my PT average progress as I had previously assumed).
The average function should display your average score as it changes with every test you take whereas the daily score function shows your score for any particular day.

Maybe it's an error. Can you send your spreadsheet to i3linkez@gmail.com so I can look at it and address the potential glitch?

tehrocstar

Bronze

Post by tehrocstar » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:19 pm

Hey 3|ink - possible (and willing) to record a tutorial guide and post on youtube?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

the_pakalypse

Bronze

Post by the_pakalypse » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:11 am

Another suggestion, since I seem to be using this spreadsheet quite heavily:

How about another graph underneath the Trends section that shows either the percentage of questions right, or the number of questions missed BY section order. THis might be a bit complicated as you'd have to program in the order of the sections, but I think it would be useful for discerning any trends due to concentration lapses(e.g the last section you took, or the first section due to "warming up" etc.)

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:01 pm

the_pakalypse wrote:Another suggestion, since I seem to be using this spreadsheet quite heavily:

How about another graph underneath the Trends section that shows either the percentage of questions right, or the number of questions missed BY section order. THis might be a bit complicated as you'd have to program in the order of the sections, but I think it would be useful for discerning any trends due to concentration lapses(e.g the last section you took, or the first section due to "warming up" etc.)
That's not a bad idea. It wouldn't be too hard to program the order of the sections. Not sure it's legal though. I'll have to review my contract with the LSAC.

I'm trying to think of how I'd graph that. Perhaps 4 graphs for each section (by order)? Hmmm... I'll get on it.

duck24

New

Post by duck24 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:39 pm

I know this is probably a dumb question, but could someone post a guide as to which question types they use/how they identify them? I'm really bad at doing that haha.

Run!

New

Post by Run! » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:59 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

penguinbrah

New

Post by penguinbrah » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:45 pm

hey is there any way to add more than 6 question types under under each LR section?

btw- great tool, really appreciate you taking the time our for doing this.

edit: lol damn just realized that was my first post. i've been lurking for a long time.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:40 am

penguinbrah wrote:hey is there any way to add more than 6 question types under under each LR section?

edit: lol damn just realized that was my first post. i've been lurking for a long time.
No, but there's a way around it sometimes.

First, the no. I can't remember why, but I ultimately decided to stick with 6. I have been meaning to adjust it to 8-10, but I haven't had much time to work on it since starting school. I plan to implement some of the suggested changes during the winter break. That will definitely be among them. Also on the list:

1.) Fixing the compatibility issue with macs - I have to hand it to Apple. They were very responsive to my inquiry about VBA for OS Lion. Not only did they admit that certain features were not working as intended, but they showed me a way around the problem until it's fixed in a later update.

2.) Adding some better Trends functions, like "Last seven tests" or "Last seven sections" instead of "Last seven days".

3.) Adding PT 64 (October)

I forget the rest, but I have a list somewhere.

Now for the way around it. If you want, you can put any overflow under another LR section that you may have completed that day. This would not throw-off your LR score for that particular section. The spreadsheet would simply record the overflow as question types you missed that day - NOT question types you missed in that section. In fact, I don't believe any of the graphs in trends divide question types missed by LR1 & LR2.

Thanks for using the spreadsheet. Good luck preparing for the test :)

penguinbrah

New

Post by penguinbrah » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:04 am

3|ink wrote:
penguinbrah wrote:hey is there any way to add more than 6 question types under under each LR section?

No, but there's a way around it sometimes.

First, the no. I can't remember why, but I ultimately decided to stick with 6. I have been meaning to adjust it to 8-10, but I haven't had much time to work on it since starting school. I plan to implement some of the suggested changes during the winter break. That will definitely be among them. Also on the list:

1.) Fixing the compatibility issue with macs - I have to hand it to Apple. They were very responsive to my inquiry about VBA for OS Lion. Not only did they admit that certain features were not working as intended, but they showed me a way around the problem until it's fixed in a later update.

2.) Adding some better Trends functions, like "Last seven tests" or "Last seven sections" instead of "Last seven days".

3.) Adding PT 64 (October)

I forget the rest, but I have a list somewhere.

Now for the way around it. If you want, you can put any overflow under another LR section that you may have completed that day. This would not throw-off your LR score for that particular section. The spreadsheet would simply record the overflow as question types you missed that day - NOT question types you missed in that section. In fact, I don't believe any of the graphs in trends divide question types missed by LR1 & LR2.

Thanks for using the spreadsheet. Good luck preparing for the test :)
thanks a lot for the reply and explanation!

the new updates are definitely something to look forward to and I'll go with your workaround for now as that will serve my purpose right now.

Btw- I have a mac running ms office 2011, just got it a few months ago with snow leopard i believe (the one before lion) and I have had no problems so far. The only thing is that it is a little slow when I click on the drop down menus and just in general it lags a bit - but it is nothing serious.

anyways it's great that you take out the time and offer this for free, you are helping a lot of people for sure.

Thanks again!

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:55 pm

possibly retaking here (so I'm still studying). Is there anyway for end-users to add a fourth assignment section and add newer tests (PT64 and 65 when its available late Jan/early Feb) to the material section. I do sections from 4 distinct tests per day to keep the feel of the actual timing of the test throughout my prep. Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”