Atlas (Manhattan) v. Bibles Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Which should I buy?

Atlas/Manhattan LR, LG, and RC
50%
Logic Games & Logical Reasoning Bible w/Atlas RC
50%

Total votes: 60

Kabuo

Silver

Re: Atlas (Manhattan) v. Bibles

Post by Kabuo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:56 pm

Because, being totally done with the LSAT, I absolutely care that we verify that one of many people who voted for Manhattan is not in fact employed by them. It was a joke, George, which I assume you knew. Bad day?

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:02 pm

Kabuo wrote:Because, being totally done with the LSAT, I absolutely care that we verify that one of many people who voted for Manhattan is not in fact employed by them. It was a joke, George, which I assume you knew. Bad day?
haha, no actually a good day. Didn't mean to diss you, man. Just have more faith in humanity than to think that someone would create a fake account to promote his/her company ESP when the company in question is already getting more love than TM/BP and, hence, needs no promoting. Also, I think it's sad when ppl take screenshots to prove smth to strangers on the internet. I, for one, would probably tell someone to go eff themselves if they didn't want to believe that i got a certain score. Maybe that's why I ascribe to the NO ONE CARES doctrine. So much of TLS is subjective, biased, insecure, snarky, and unnecessary that i think it's useless to try to fight it. Just LET IT BE.

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:11 pm

I guess we have different takes on the NO ONE CARES thing. I just hoped to illustrate that no one cares by pretending people cared in a ridiculous, Muldery way that might also induce a laugh. Oh well, I can IMAGINE a world in which both our approaches could have value. Happy 2000th post.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:18 pm

Kabuo wrote:I guess we have different takes on the NO ONE CARES thing. I just hoped to illustrate that no one cares by pretending people cared in a ridiculous, Muldery way that might also induce a laugh. Oh well, I can IMAGINE a world in which both our approaches could have value. Happy 2000th post.
haha, thanks for the wishes - didn't even notice the post count. :oops: frankly, i don't really know why I am on TLS. I noticed that after reading so many dumb posts here, i got worse at noticing sarcasm. At any rate, any word on then they will come out with X-files on Blu-ray? :D

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:24 pm

Kabuo wrote:
tehrocstar wrote:I'm just a new user, and just started using these forums as I'm prepping for the June 2011 exam. The manhattan/atlas books are newer, could it just be correlation that those who promote it, happen to be newer members? And isn't there an equal amount of votes for the bible? In any case, i definitely don't work for Manhattan. Don't know how I could prove that.
Only way TLS will ever take you seriously now is if you take a SS of you being registered for the June exam with no previous score over 173 or w/e Manhattan's cutoff is along with your photo ID. Sorry, but you gotta do it. I guess you could edit out your LSAC #, but then you run the risk of the most paranoid posters accusing you of stealing another person's SS of the June exam registration.
tehrocstar, bad argument btw - still, i believe you. but yes Kabuo, this seems to be the only way.

Possible that none of those <25 post folks are MLSAT employees, but they could be? I'm still skeptical...and even more skeptical about the above poll. Willing to take a wild, wild guess that Noah voted for the top option? Perhaps some MLSAT instructors did, and perhaps its other employees did.

Not to pinpoint Manhattan too much - obviously you can expect something similar from PS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:27 pm

Haven't heard any movement =\. My PS3 is broken atm, so I couldn't watch them anyway, but it's still a little ridiculous that it's taking this long.

tehrocstar

Bronze

Post by tehrocstar » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:31 am

Not really an argument, just presenting alternatives 8) In any case, looks like I won't have to post a SS of my score.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:48 pm

I took Noah up on his generous offer, and on Tuesday, I received a shiny Manhattan LR guide (2nd ed) in the mail. I'll be reporting back on how useful it is, and whether I believe it would be worth the cost. Very excited!

AverageTutoring

Bronze

Post by AverageTutoring » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:34 pm

I feel that the Bibles lay a better foundation but the MLSAT Guides provide better techniques. My LSAT strategy is basically a quazi mix of the Bibles/MLSAT, and I have found that my students tend to benefit greatly from this approach.

That said, I don't have a copy of the new guides so they may now contain the detail that was missing before.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ngogirl

Bronze

Post by ngogirl » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:55 pm

For games, I think it is important to utilize all approaches, such as TestMasters, PS, and Atlas. I am used to using the other strategies.. TM and PS, but find Atlas great for hard games..

I had previously gone through the old LR guide which I found standard, and I am still going through the LR strategies in the updated Atlas book, I find it helpful. That being said, I just completed a logic course last semester, which I think has helped improve my logical reasoning tremendously, even though the formal logic proofs appear to have no relevance with the lsat, I think it does help to a certain degree...

The RC strategies in the Atlas guide are amazing!! Granted I only went through the book once, and meant to review it which I haven't, I use the strategies even for the LR questions. I found my timing with RC passages improved and my accuracy as well. It is the best book out there and worth every penny.. And no, I am not an Atlas employed person, as I live overseas...

At the end of the day, I think the Atlas guides are the best self study resources out there.. I am familiar with PS and TM strategies, I find their strategies good for games, TM also good for diagramming in the parallel reasoning and conditional logic, but I find the Atlas guides to be the perfect self study resources out there. I also think Atlas is good for people who are already scoring high, which is why I chose to utilize their guides..

My only problem is timing, if anyone has advice on how to approach the tests with a quicker pace, I would be most appreciative. On the older tests, I am good on timing, but I took June 2009 this past weekend, and I found myself running out of time on the sections..

AverageTutoring

Bronze

Post by AverageTutoring » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:02 pm

ngogirl wrote:For games, I think it is important to utilize all approaches, such as TestMasters, PS, and Atlas. I am used to using the other strategies.. TM and PS, but find Atlas great for hard games..

I had previously gone through the old LR guide which I found standard, and I am still going through the LR strategies in the updated Atlas book, I find it helpful. That being said, I just completed a logic course last semester, which I think has helped improve my logical reasoning tremendously, even though the formal logic proofs appear to have no relevance with the lsat, I think it does help to a certain degree...

The RC strategies in the Atlas guide are amazing!! Granted I only went through the book once, and meant to review it which I haven't, I use the strategies even for the LR questions. I found my timing with RC passages improved and my accuracy as well. It is the best book out there and worth every penny.. And no, I am not an Atlas employed person, as I live overseas...

At the end of the day, I think the Atlas guides are the best self study resources out there.. I am familiar with PS and TM strategies, I find their strategies good for games, TM also good for diagramming in the parallel reasoning and conditional logic, but I find the Atlas guides to be the perfect self study resources out there. I also think Atlas is good for people who are already scoring high, which is why I chose to utilize their guides..

My only problem is timing, if anyone has advice on how to approach the tests with a quicker pace, I would be most appreciative. On the older tests, I am good on timing, but I took June 2009 this past weekend, and I found myself running out of time on the sections..
Can you describe your problem a letter more? That is, which sections are giving you trouble? How many questions do you answer before guessing? What kind of accuracy are you getting on the questions you answer before guessing? Etc, etc.

ngogirl

Bronze

Post by ngogirl » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:20 pm

I took PT 39 today and scored pretty high, but timing was still a problem. I finished the games section 5 minutes early, the RC section I ran out of time on one question, one of the LR sections I finished 7 minutes early, and the other one I ran out of time on the last 2 questions. However, this past weekend when I took a more recent test, I ran out of time for the last 5 questions on almost every section, it could have been because I was exhausted, but I am finding that timing is my issue..

For the most part, I pace pretty well with the LG and RC sections, its the LR that I run out of time on.. It really depends on the test.. Do you have any advice on how I can get faster or time myself better??

I find I do better on practice tests when I take them at the library than when I take them at home..

AverageTutoring

Bronze

Post by AverageTutoring » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:27 pm

ngogirl wrote:I took PT 39 today and scored pretty high, but timing was still a problem. I finished the games section 5 minutes early, the RC section I ran out of time on one question, one of the LR sections I finished 7 minutes early, and the other one I ran out of time on the last 2 questions. However, this past weekend when I took a more recent test, I ran out of time for the last 5 questions on almost every section, it could have been because I was exhausted, but I am finding that timing is my issue..

For the most part, I pace pretty well with the LG and RC sections, its the LR that I run out of time on.. It really depends on the test.. Do you have any advice on how I can get faster or time myself better??

I find I do better on practice tests when I take them at the library than when I take them at home..
Well, if you put it like that you're totally screwed. :P

My advice is to spend as little time as possible having to re-read the stimulus. In other words, read it once and internalize the argument. After every sentence ask yourself what is being presented, is there a flaw there, how is everything connected, what situations are possible that the stimulus doesnt consider, etc. By having this "dialogue" with the text you force yourself to understand the argument as opposed to just reading it. And while this sounds like this may take a lot of time, I can tell you that it only a few seconds and the benifits are massive. Moreover, if you do a quick read through and have to re-read the stimulus after each answer choice that burns a lot of time! It is much more efficient to read once, and be able to answer with minimal reference back to the stimulus.

Of course this is ideal and you cant always get the jist of things on the first read! But in principle this is what you should be shooting for. See if doing this increases your speed.

Also, learn to trust yourself. By that I mean if you find an answer choice that is out to left field…don’t spend any time trying to understand how its out to left field. Just cross it off an move on. As long as you can identify that it doesn’t play off the flaw in the stimulus then you’re gold. Don’t spend any more time than absolutely necessary to cross it off.

I would also advise on finding a rhythm. I personally tried to do questions 1-15 in 18 minutes, questions 16-20 in 7 minutes, and questions 21-26 in 10 minutes. Having a rhythm seems to help because it gives you goals to shoot for as you move through the exam. It's important not to stick to it religiously (sometimes shit happens like a hard question in the first 10) but finding a general guideline is definitely advisable.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:34 pm

Bibles option went on a 6-0 run over the last 3:42 of regulation.

edit: i'm too stoked for the playoffs.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:02 pm

nshapkar wrote:Bibles option went on a 6-0 run over the last 3:42 of regulation.

Huh? Are you talking about LG performance in BB terms?

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:10 pm

Jeffort wrote:
nshapkar wrote:Bibles option went on a 6-0 run over the last 3:42 of regulation.

Huh? Are you talking about LG performance in BB terms?

hahaha, no no...I'm talking about the poll results in bb terms :]

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:23 pm

I've written a review of the Manhattan LR Strategy Guide Second Edition here. Overall, I think the book is very helpful and a worthy purchase even for someone who has the Bible as well as Manhattan LR v1.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”