MASSIVE anxiety during study time

lsatulcer

MASSIVE anxiety during study time

Postby lsatulcer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:32 pm

I'm sure this has already been asked, but what does everyone do for study anxiety?
I took a Powerscore session in August, quit around September because I felt I could study/learn on my own more efficiently. I raised my initial score of 134 to an average of 158-160 half way through the Power score lessons (there are 12). I stopped studying completely in October because I was developing ulcers from anxiety. I had the studying,work and preparations for my Dec.2010 wedding going on all at the same time. I started studying again in early February and by the time I got around to the Advanced Linear Logic Games section I started getting the anxiety again. I'm hitting a mental block so bad that I'm essentially asking for distractions (like right now), anything to not face Logic Games. Help. :!:

Edit:
Oh yeah, my test is in June. I'd reschedule...but I put off the October '10 and Feb. '11 test already.

Jack Smirks

Re: MASSIVE anxiety during study time

Postby Jack Smirks » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:48 pm

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:03 pm

Talk to a health professional?

lsatulcer

Postby lsatulcer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:18 pm

bk1 wrote:Talk to a health professional?

I did that, they just gave me omperazole and told me to watch t.v.

Kurst

Postby Kurst » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:30 pm

I had that post in mind when I saw this thread's title. :)

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:33 pm

I got a scrip for migraine/stress headache meds and sucked it up.

zonto

Postby zonto » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:09 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I got a scrip for migraine/stress headache meds and sucked it up.

If your "scrip" made you suck it up, why would you keep taking them? :roll:

Don't use ridiculous hipster abbreviations please.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:30 pm

zonto wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I got a scrip for migraine/stress headache meds and sucked it up.

If your "scrip" made you suck it up, why would you keep taking them? :roll:

Yeah, not a hipster.
'Scrip' has been used as an abbreviation for 'prescription' since the 60s.

The 'scrip' dealt with the headaches, not the overall stress, which still had to be 'sucked up' (also not hipster slang).

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:35 pm

zonto wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:scrip

lolwut

barry

Postby barry » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:36 pm

Drink heavily and make sure you're getting some

seriously though, try to make time for activities you enjoy so you are not obsessing about the LSAT all the time and to give u some down time in general

boalt2l

Postby boalt2l » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:52 pm

The LSAT is so much less stressful than law school. If you cannot handle this, how are you going to handle law school or a demanding job? Judging by even your highest score, you are going to end up at a middling school where you will likely face unemployment or a volunteer job. My question is: do you think studying for five law school exams simultaneously or searching for a volunteer legal job when you have 200k debt will be less stressful. IF you find the LSAT to be a stressful experience, this career may literally kill you. For your own well being, please consider a less stressful career, where you will probably earn more money than at a job after any school you could get into.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:13 pm

boalt2l wrote:The LSAT is so much less stressful than law school. If you cannot handle this, how are you going to handle law school or a demanding job? Judging by even your highest score, you are going to end up at a middling school where you will likely face unemployment or a volunteer job. My question is: do you think studying for five law school exams simultaneously or searching for a volunteer legal job when you have 200k debt will be less stressful. IF you find the LSAT to be a stressful experience, this career may literally kill you. For your own well being, please consider a less stressful career, where you will probably earn more money than at a job after any school you could get into.

lolwut?
1. you have no idea what this person's GPA is.
2. the 25th percentile LSAT for your own school is 162, so i'm not sure why you're bashing 160 PTs halfway through a practice course.
3. what is a volunteer job?

MTal

Postby MTal » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:22 pm

I can't wait to see you get in front of a judge.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:37 pm

OP, can i reasonably infer that you spend about 10 hours a day studying?

if so, STOP OVEREXERTION

also, probably not the smartest idea to drop the powerscore course. i think it's always a good idea to take a class if you can afford to (especially since many people who want to can't afford to - you should consider yourself lucky)

lsatulcer

Postby lsatulcer » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:01 pm

barry wrote:Drink heavily and make sure you're getting some

seriously though, try to make time for activities you enjoy so you are not obsessing about the LSAT all the time and to give u some down time in general

Yeah. My husband offered up those suggestions. lol. thanks.

lsatulcer

Postby lsatulcer » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:07 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:OP, can i reasonably infer that you spend about 10 hours a day studying?

if so, STOP OVEREXERTION

also, probably not the smartest idea to drop the powerscore course. i think it's always a good idea to take a class if you can afford to (especially since many people who want to can't afford to - you should consider yourself lucky)

Well, I got through most of the course. I just felt I could do better on my own since most of the sessions were straight from the book anyway. I would do as the instructor told us and study the material in advance only to show up and have him screw with my head/what I already learned. But yeah...your inference was correct... 8-10 hours a day. I'm just going to cut down and let my husband cook and clean for a damn change. ;)

lsatulcer

Postby lsatulcer » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:14 pm

boalt2l wrote:The LSAT is so much less stressful than law school. If you cannot handle this, how are you going to handle law school or a demanding job? Judging by even your highest score, you are going to end up at a middling school where you will likely face unemployment or a volunteer job. My question is: do you think studying for five law school exams simultaneously or searching for a volunteer legal job when you have 200k debt will be less stressful. IF you find the LSAT to be a stressful experience, this career may literally kill you. For your own well being, please consider a less stressful career, where you will probably earn more money than at a job after any school you could get into.

Wow. I'm going to make a safe assumption that you have no friends.

That was my highest score by getting only half way through the Powerscore course. I have yet to complete all the sections and still have more methods to learn. Also, I think 160 is pretty damn good considering, at the time, I was planning my wedding, working 7-3/studying 4pm-2am, cleaning,cooking,and taking my Powerscore courses.

Getting a job is not just what school you get into, it's about networking and unfortunately...who you know. I have that on my side in addition to previous work in my district's FPD and other work. F*^$ off.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:05 pm

lsatulcer wrote:studying 4pm-2am

Wait, what?

There is no way in hell you should be studying 10 hours a day. Period. Of COURSE you're freaking out--you're getting like 4 hours of sleep a night and running your brain and body into the ground. I don't think they make a font big enough for the ENORMOUS DUH here.

Cut down to 3-4 hours a night.

The law of diminishing returns says you're probably not getting much out of hours 5-10 anyway. The anxiety you've described makes that fairly obvious.

sighsigh

Postby sighsigh » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:27 pm

Go to the doctor, and have him prescribe you medication for anxiety. I don't think anything else recommended to you (like yoga or something) will be nearly as effective.

I don't think studying 10 hours a day causes anxiety, but it will cause burnout pretty quickly.

134 to 160 is a pretty impressive score increase.

Jackson Pollock

Postby Jackson Pollock » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:11 pm

Dude, you exercise much? I find running helps me with any anxiety I may have.

YaSvoboden

Postby YaSvoboden » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:25 pm

How stressed does he look? Just sayin.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”