Open Courseware for LSAT prep?

db616

Open Courseware for LSAT prep?

Postby db616 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:48 pm

I'm starting to study a little for the October LSAT and I've seen a lot of people suggest taking a logic course if you're still in UG (which I am). I'm not really interested in adding another course because I've already got seniroritis, but I think a good alternative might be to check out the open courseware that's starting to be offered by more and more universities.

MIT is the school that's really leading the pack in offering free courses online They have quite a few logic courses to choose from.

Just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone preparing for the LSAT.

Has anyone done this?

EarlCat

Re: Open Courseware for LSAT prep?

Postby EarlCat » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:17 pm

You don't need a formal logic course to help with the LSAT. The "formal" logic on the LSAT is very basic and any UG logic course is going to go well beyond anything you'll need, perhaps to the point of being confusing. I've had lots of trouble over the years with students who have taken logic courses trying to over-complicate LSAT arguments. Stick to LSAT prep materials/courses.

db616

Postby db616 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:38 am

EarlCat wrote:You don't need a formal logic course to help with the LSAT. The "formal" logic on the LSAT is very basic and any UG logic course is going to go well beyond anything you'll need, perhaps to the point of being confusing. I've had lots of trouble over the years with students who have taken logic courses trying to over-complicate LSAT arguments. Stick to LSAT prep materials/courses.

Good point. Thanks for the advice. What about logic courses for law school in general?

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:48 am

db616 wrote:Good point. Thanks for the advice. What about logic courses for law school in general?

Also unnecessary IMHO. There is less logic in law school than on the LSAT.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:54 am

My only official exposure ever to formal logic has been the chapter on formal logic in the powerscore LR bible. It was all I needed.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”