XBOX v. LSAT

Should I quit video games until after the June LSAT?

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes: 48

coldshoulder

XBOX v. LSAT

Postby coldshoulder » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:23 am

I'm scoring an average of 167 after my first five practice tests, having studied for about 3 weeks. My goal is to score 170+ on the June LSAT, giving me about two full months to study. I'm an avid video gamer, and the lure of sweet sweet Xbox has been haunting me with my studying. Should I unplug my Xbox and leave it at my parents' house until after the test? This may seem crazy or undisciplined to some, but I have a serious addiction to gaming and this may be the only way for me to score over a 170.
Should I bite the bullet, and give up Call of Duty?

(Not a troll. Actually a serious questions considering the majority of my close friends spend a lot of time playing together).

bk1

Re: XBOX v. LSAT

Postby bk1 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:24 am

If you are actually addicted you should seek professional help.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:27 am

Take away the temptation. This is coming from a guy with horrible self-control when it comes to distractions as well. I'm a 1L right now, and I have spent way too many days studying at 5 Guys (burger place) since I don't trust myself at my apt and I spend too much time on my iphone at the library.

The potential gain of thousands of dollars in scholarship money and the chance to improve your career prospects at a better school should be kept in mind when making this decision.

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:28 am

coldshoulder wrote:I'm scoring an average of 167 after my first five practice tests, having studied for about 3 weeks. My goal is to score 170+ on the June LSAT, giving me about two full months to study. I'm an avid video gamer, and the lure of sweet sweet Xbox has been haunting me with my studying. Should I unplug my Xbox and leave it at my parents' house until after the test? This may seem crazy or undisciplined to some, but I have a serious addiction to gaming and this may be the only way for me to score over a 170.
Should I bite the bullet, and give up Call of Duty?

(Not a troll. Actually a serious questions considering the majority of my close friends spend a lot of time playing together).

Depends on your ability to control yourself. Can you play games for an hour and then quit to get back to the books? If so, then regiment yourself; if not, then quit cold turkey.

weee

Postby weee » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:41 am

I regularly implement a pre-finals game cutoff. Generally there are a couple games that are most tempting, while I have a few others that I can just play a few minutes and put down. So I just have my fiancee take my favorite ones away and leave me the less favored ones, it seems to work out but might be even better if I just got rid of the xbox altogether.

I voted yes to get rid of it.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:45 am

As someone who loves serving people on COD I can relate to your dilemma. However, studying for the LSAT is too important not to give it your full attention. I say keep playing but only after you finished practice tests and reviewed all the questions. Frankly I'm going to do this to kill my retake because this time I'm going in serious. Good luck man.

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:50 am

I appreciate the quick replies, especially considering that where I am it's 1:45 AM.
Follow up question for those in the know, have you been able to continue gaming in law school? Obviously not during finals, but have you found sufficient free time so as not to hurt your studies?

@BK - pretty sure I need to join a support group, I have some super duper serious emotional issues (killing people in COD and Halo is so heart wrenching). I feel good knowing my addiction isn't related to that of the earlier poster with 2 DUI's...

weee

Postby weee » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:12 am

coldshoulder wrote:I appreciate the quick replies, especially considering that where I am it's 1:45 AM.
Follow up question for those in the know, have you been able to continue gaming in law school? Obviously not during finals, but have you found sufficient free time so as not to hurt your studies?

I game pretty much every day as a 1L. Of course, I party a lot less than other students because I'm a bit older and in a serious relationship.

I applied the get rid of the games the last 6 weeks of the semester strategy last semester and I did pretty well. I have played a bit more this semester than last, and we'll see how it impacts me, still applying the six weeks rule. Check back w/ me in June and I will let you know.

tehrocstar

Postby tehrocstar » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:13 pm

Wow, I could have posted this about 3 weeks ago, I was too tempted by my Xbox.

Yes, it's very important to remove temptation, but if you can, very encouraging to refuse to play it until you're done studying for LSAT.

Nowadays, I wake up very early, to study for 2 or 3 hours and then I allow myself to play as a reward. If you can't set up a similar system of rewards, then yes remove the temptation.

I voted to keep the Xbox

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:15 pm

You made my girlfriend cry. She's wailing and going: "mumble mumble act like an adult mumble mumble."

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:20 pm

rayiner wrote:You made my girlfriend cry. She's wailing and going: "mumble mumble act like an adult mumble mumble."

I am acting like an adult. I'm setting priorities and giving up activities I love for more important endeavors.
Not to mention my 52 year old dad plays plenty of xbox, and he's the vp for a international medical sales corporation lol.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:26 pm

coldshoulder wrote:
rayiner wrote:You made my girlfriend cry. She's wailing and going: "mumble mumble act like an adult mumble mumble."

I am acting like an adult. I'm setting priorities and giving up activities I love for more important endeavors.
Not to mention my 52 year old dad plays plenty of xbox, and he's the vp for a international medical sales corporation lol.

Does your dad have to lock his XBox away at someone else's house to do his job?

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:28 pm

Considering he's not at home for his job, that's irrelevant.
Anyways, let's just drop it. No point arguing about it. Both positions are valid.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:32 pm

take away the xbox until you take the test. If you feel as though you have a condition and need help- go get it. Dont be ashamed, and get help now. If you think this may be an issue in the future- remove the temptation alltoghether ( get rid of all gaming systems) and find somehting healthy and proactive to take itsplace.

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:30 pm

I vote for removing the XBOX while studying. I cut out a lot of things that I know will distract me like FB, TV and outings on Saturday nights.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:32 pm

No way!

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:33 pm

go to the library to study

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:33 pm

dr123 wrote:go to the library to study

you so crazy

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:36 pm

I feelz you mang. How much do you play?

Edit: and whats your Gamertag bro?

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:44 pm

dr123 wrote:go to the library to study

this might work if you can arrange your schedule around it. I take my preptests at the library because I find my house too confortable for me to take the test. The other people around me and the extra noise makes it feel more real. In your case it will just get you away from the XBOX.

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:47 pm

rayiner wrote:
coldshoulder wrote:

Does your dad have to lock his XBox away at someone else's house to do his job?

I know a mature 38 year old with a great career and a serious life who plays 10+ hours on the weekends.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:49 pm

Another important variable is your skill lvl. Are you good enough to go pro, or are you just n00b sauce? If its the former, you should scrap law school all together.

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:56 pm

bport hopeful wrote:Another important variable is your skill lvl. Are you good enough to go pro, or are you just n00b sauce? If its the former, you should scrap law school all together.

+1000. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:13 pm

dude gaming is a serious addicting LOL. i have used and quit many substances in my life and the hardest of all them is video games. i highly highly recommend getting rid of it as in NO POSSIBLE WAY for you to play. telling youreslf oh i wont play is futile cause u will always find some spare time. i know you arent a cyborg studyign 24 hours a day and the issue with video game is once u start u wont stop. the best solution is to get rid of them then find something else to do like workout during the time u have free. this is what i am doing(at least for the last 2 months before june)

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:16 pm

lakers3peat wrote:dude gaming is a serious addicting LOL. i have used and quit many substances in my life and the hardest of all them is video games. i highly highly recommend getting rid of it as in NO POSSIBLE WAY for you to play. telling youreslf oh i wont play is futile cause u will always find some spare time. i know you arent a cyborg studyign 24 hours a day and the issue with video game is once u start u wont stop. the best solution is to get rid of them then find something else to do like workout during the time u have free. this is what i am doing(at least for the last 2 months before june)

I don't know, bro. Once I start to get my pump on I find it incredibly hard to stop.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”