PT 31 - LR Sec. 3 - #12

seaghost527

PT 31 - LR Sec. 3 - #12

Postby seaghost527 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:33 am

I don't think I'm supposed to repost the entire question here, but I really don't understand the answer and couldn't find any existing explanation after I tried googling the question.

It's a "weaken except" question about medical conditions, just to give some clarifying info.

I feel pretty good b/c I only got -2 in this section, and I understand the other Q that I got wrong, but for this one, narrowed it down to (C) and (E) and don't understand why they don't both work here... thanks for anyone with insight!

Sh@keNb@ke

Re: PT 31 - LR Sec. 3 - #12

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:58 am

The problem with (E) is that it suggests there is a unrepresentative sample in the study, which weakens the argument. (C) does not weaken the argument because the people handing out the survey do not need to be familiar with medicine. A good analogy would be that the LSAT proctors do not need to be familiar with the LSAT, they just need to able to read directions well. Hope this helps.

Kurst

Postby Kurst » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:01 am

(E): the studies did not survey a representative sample of people. Most young students in introductory psychology courses would want to be informed if they had any serious medical condition; it does not follow from this that most people would also want to be so informed.

(C): The researchers conducting the study need not have backgrounds in medicine. They could just be asking, "Would you want to be informed if you had a serious medical condition?" A background in medicine is not required to ask such a simple question.

seaghost527

Postby seaghost527 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:11 am

Ah, thank you! I definitely realized that (C) wouldn't weaken, but I missed the unrepresentative sample aspect of (E). Will keep this in mind!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”