Am I starting too early? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
legaleagle9

New

Am I starting too early?

Post by legaleagle9 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:08 pm

Hey there! This is my first post here, but Ive been reading the forums for a couple weeks now.

I am currently finishing up my freshman year of college, and expect my GPA to be about 3.6 by the end of the semester(irrelevant information to the post, but just giving my background). With my determination, the GPA WILL improve.

I have also actually started studying for the LSAT. I bought the Kaplan LSAT Direct book and have been studying it extensively. Im so passionate about becoming a lawyer, and I feel like if I dont start studying for the LSAT as soon as possible ,and continue to study until the day I take the exam, then I am doing an injustice to myself.

The question I have is: Is it too early for me to start studying for the LSAT, considering I have not even completed my freshman year of college?

I appreciate any response! Thank you so much and I hope all of you fulfill your dreams!
Last edited by legaleagle9 on Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dr123

Gold

Re: Am I starting too early?

Post by dr123 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:08 pm

yes. chill out and enjoy being in college

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:12 pm

Yes. Far too early. You should be focusing on keeping your GPA up, mentally maturing, having fun in college, etc. You shouldn't be reading prep books or trying to get yourself ready at this stage. Patience is a virtue, regardless of how passionate you might feel about it.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:13 pm

legaleagle9 wrote:Hey fellas.

The question I have is: Is it too early for me to start studying for the LSAT, considering I have not even completed my freshman year of college?
holy shit, where did you hear that this was a good idea?

also, girls post here too, FYI

legaleagle9

New

Post by legaleagle9 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:22 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:

so sorry about that. I edited it.

Anyways, thank you for the replies!

When do you feel is the best times to start, and the perfect amount of prep time?

Thanks again.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:25 pm

I wouldn't even begin thinking about it until junior year at the earliest, and that is if you wish attend law school right out of undergrad (another thing I would caution against, because work experience after college can make you a much more attractive applicant). So, in about 2 years from now, it would at least be reasonable to start prepping. But not now. Go have some fun!

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:27 pm

legaleagle9 wrote:
No, it is never too early to start. I began being logical shortly out of the womb. By the time I took the LSAT, it was second nature. I scored a 177. I stand by my choices.

However, do not sacrifice possible orgy/experimentation time for LSAT studying. College is for doing things that you can't do when you're 30 because you can't use the excuse that you were just "experimenting in college." Unless you plan on living in San Francisco, then there is no time limit on these things.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:28 pm

Drake014 wrote:
legaleagle9 wrote:
No, it is never too early to start. I began being logical shortly out of the womb. By the time I took the LSAT, it was second nature. I scored a 177. I stand by my choices.

However, do not sacrifice possible orgy/experimentation time for LSAT studying. College is for doing things that you can't do when you're 30 because you can't use the excuse that you were just "experimenting in college." Unless you plan on living in San Francisco, then there is no time limit on these things.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:29 pm

legaleagle9 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

When do you feel is the best times to start, and the perfect amount of prep time?

Thanks again.
i studied for about 4 months over a summer and got 12 points higher on the actual test than on my diagnostic. i did take a kaplan class though. i think any more than 6 months and you're gonna start to get burned out. some people would say less, some people would say more. a 3.6 is considered a low GPA for top schools though, so you might wanna get that up. i got a 3.6 my first semester freshman year and then got 4.0s every semester subsequently for the rest of UG because i knew i wanted to aim high for LS. it was hard sometimes to stay on the ball but it ended up benefiting me greatly. at this point GPA is what you have control over, so you need to put that first if you're aiming for t10 or t20.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheStrand

Bronze

Post by TheStrand » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:29 pm

Yes too early. Use that time to get a 4.0 and if you have extra time get a job or an internship in a field of law you're interested in. DA's offices are usually pretty willing to take on unpaid interns and give them some interesting things to do.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:30 pm

Drake014 wrote:
legaleagle9 wrote:

QFthiswebsitewillbetheworstthingtoeverhappentothiskid

cern

New

Post by cern » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:33 pm

legaleagle9 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

Thanks again.
Flame. Girls do not post here (pics or it didn't happen?).

Starting early is great and all but in general working on 3.6 situation is more immediately relevant. Take a timed test, see what you score, decide how much work you have to do, don't make any decisions unless they're approved by the TLS community, and you'll be on your way.

Experimentation also isn't always out of the question later, especially if you end up clerking for particular SCOTUS justices.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:34 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
legaleagle9 wrote:

That was the best advice ever.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:36 pm

cern wrote:
Flame. Girls do not post here (pics or it didn't happen?).
nice one, dipshit

Kmoney

New

Post by Kmoney » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:37 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
+1

legaleagle9

New

Post by legaleagle9 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:39 pm

Drake014 wrote:
legaleagle9 wrote:

Yeah, thats kind of my intention as well. My thought process is that if I studying and take practice tests starting now, that by the time I have to sit down and take the test it will be extremely simply for me, and hopefully bring me the same score success that you achieved!

I also definitely understand what some of you mean when you say it is too early. I am not necessarily ignoring my extracurricular life to study for the LSAT, but if I find a couple free hours during the day, its something I like to do.

Once again, thank you so much for the input.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:41 pm

legaleagle9 wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
legaleagle9 wrote:

Yeah, thats kind of my intention as well. My thought process is that if I studying and take practice tests starting now, that by the time I have to sit down and take the test it will be extremely simply for me, and hopefully bring me the same score success that you achieved!

I also definitely understand what some of you mean when you say it is too early. I am not necessarily ignoring my extracurricular life to study for the LSAT, but if I find a couple free hours during the day, its something I like to do.

no no no no no no no and no.

flame

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:41 pm

i actually studied fro about 6 months and got ~20 points above my diagnostic...

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:42 pm

Too early. You can get everything in that you need to do in about 3 months, if you stay on schedule. You can spread it out a little bit more over 4 months if you like. Any more and it is probably too much. Of course if you spend a month or two doing stupid things that won't help, then you will need more time obviously.

So yeah, enjoy college, come back when you are a junior, figure out how to dominate the LSAT, then start studying.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:45 pm

legaleagle9 wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
legaleagle9 wrote:

Okay, but don't disregard the second paragraph. That's totally an intricate part of my advice. Also, don't let others take pictures of said activities. They will totally come back to bite you when you run for Congress (however, if said pictures are taken, pm me)

legaleagle9

New

Post by legaleagle9 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:48 pm

Drake014 wrote:
legaleagle9 wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
legaleagle9 wrote:

Okay, but don't disregard the second paragraph. That's totally an intricate part of my advice. Also, don't let others take pictures of said activities. They will totally come back to bite you when you run for Congress (however, if said pictures are taken, pm me)
hahaha :D

Btw, if I plan to attend Law School right after UG, should I be taking the test second semester of junior year?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cern

New

Post by cern » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:53 pm

Drake014 wrote:
legaleagle9 wrote:

Btw, if I plan to attend Law School right after UG, should I be taking the test second semester of junior year?

At the earliest, yes for the LSAT... but in this scenario you're going to want to get tested before that.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:53 pm

legaleagle9 wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
legaleagle9 wrote:
Drake014 wrote:

Sure, or as soon as you feel you're ready. Keep in mind that LSATs are good at schools for several years (5 is common). However, some schools do average your scores rather than just taking the highest, so keep that in mind also.

Also, if you're going to be a gunner, don't also be a cockblock. People will hate you enough for the former behavior. Death threats will ensue if you're also the second.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:21 pm

traehekat wrote:Too early. You can get everything in that you need to do in about 3 months, if you stay on schedule. You can spread it out a little bit more over 4 months if you like. Any more and it is probably too much. Of course if you spend a month or two doing stupid things that won't help, then you will need more time obviously.

So yeah, enjoy college, come back when you are a junior, figure out how to dominate the LSAT, then start studying.

I'm assuming you scored a 180 after 3 months of study?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:29 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
traehekat wrote:Too early. You can get everything in that you need to do in about 3 months, if you stay on schedule. You can spread it out a little bit more over 4 months if you like. Any more and it is probably too much. Of course if you spend a month or two doing stupid things that won't help, then you will need more time obviously.

I'm assuming you scored a 180 after 3 months of study?
Not really seeing how that assumption follows from what I said. I suppose TCR is that it is stupid to put a number on how many weeks/months you have to study, as long as you eventually do all the "right" things and avoid burnout. By "right" things I mean doing a ton of practice tests, going through the bibles, reviewing your PTs, focusing on weaknesses, etc. I simply contend you can do all that in 3 months and not be burnt out, and like I said, you can spread it out more if that helps you.

Do I think everyone gets a 180 after doing this? No of course not. But it wouldn't matter if someone did the exact same things, but spread it out over 4, 5, or 6 months - you would probably get the same score.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”