I like LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
alexonfyre

Bronze

Re: I like LSAT

Post by alexonfyre » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:17 pm

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:07 pm

this ^
and the cause might be having listened to the Rebecca Black song too many times, that thing will drive anybody that hears it a bunch of times into needing some quiet time in the loony bin

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:09 pm

....are you on speed?

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:15 pm

artichoke wrote:....are you on speed?
I assume you are asking the OP and not making an endorsement of that song right?

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:07 am

I no care if you like LSAT. Why you talk like this?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:53 am

yngblkgifted wrote:I no care if you like LSAT. Why you talk like this?
--ImageRemoved--

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:52 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:I no care if you like LSAT. Why you talk like this?
--ImageRemoved--
This is classic! :lol:

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:18 am

Retaking a 168 without concentrated study. Nobody's jumped on this?

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:00 pm

I don't mind the LSAT - Let's just say I'd much prefer to take the LSAT than any other standardized test out there, because I hate math. Especially the type of math on the GRE, etc.

But let me just say that I cannot WAIT until the LSAT is over so I can have a life again!! I much more like having a LIFE than the LSAT!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:29 pm

incompetentia wrote:Retaking a 168 without concentrated study. Nobody's jumped on this?
Whoops. RC fail. Now I'm compelled to tag myself in this thread.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:40 pm

dextermorgan wrote:Lol. Weak troll is weak.
And strong troll is strong.

I should maybe defer a year and just take the LSAT 4 times.

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:46 pm

I loved the LSAT but did not like law school.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:24 pm

I have to admit, I enjoy doing my LSAT work, logic games in particular. Theres a degree of satisfaction that comes with making a big inference that allows you to finish a game with absolute confidence and well under time, or just the certaintly you get with some answers. Not to say this is the case for every question, anything where I really have to take time to check each answer is no fun :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:27 pm

this is, like, the little thread that could.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:21 am

Derp.

introversional

Bronze

Post by introversional » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:28 am

sea change wrote:I like the LSAT. I like to take it, study for it, think about it. I know if I go to law school I won't like it anywhere near as much as I like the LSAT, NOT EVEN CLOSE to be sure. Partially because I just like to work solo. Many other reasons too but typing is just too damn cumbersome and slow to address them all in this mode. Damn I hope I'm still alive when they come up with some way to turn thoughts into bits, effortlessly. Not likely however; how sad. I guess though somebody who's dead now was once wishing they could do what I'm doing right now, technologically or perhaps otherwise as well. Maybe things only seem really special when they're totally out of reach.

I got a 168 last month, my first time. I'll probably retake in October. Somebody asked me today, "What is your goal," meaning with regards to my score. I didn't have an answer. I know I can break 170, but I'm not sure beyond that. 180 would be REALLY SPECIAL. I'm a little lazy and I don't have a lot of free time to study. And I have a million or so other excuses.

OK so this has gone in a totally different direction than was originally intended. Maybe at a later date I'll post about my various RC study takeaways. But probably not.

PEACE!
I counted 15 instances of "I" used here. I just thought I would let you know I did that. I. :mrgreen:

IIIIIII

sea change

New

Post by sea change » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:36 pm

bigben wrote:I loved the LSAT but did not like law school.
Please elaborate. (PLEASE! We all (or at the very least I) want and/or need to hear the details on this. Many thanks!)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:44 pm

freestallion wrote:I don't mind the LSAT - Let's just say I'd much prefer to take the LSAT than any other standardized test out there, because I hate math. Especially the type of math on the GRE, etc.
The GRE sucks. I got trained to teach it a few years ago, but I thought it was boring and went back to my beloved LSAT. The GRE is basically, "Do you know the dictionary definitions of these ridiculously obscure vocab words, and can you do 8th grade math perfectly even when it's asked far more obscurely than any 8th grader ever would've had to deal with?" The LSAT is basically, "Can reason out this crazy logic nearly instantly?" I prefer the latter.

But even ETS realized that the GRE sucks, and they're changing it this August. Maybe it will suck less. Maybe I'll even take it. I've taken pretty much everything else. (SAT probably 15 times, SAT Subject Tests probably 12 times, LSAT twice, MCAT once, GMAT once, DAT twice, OAT once, SSAT or possibly ISEE once....)

sea change

New

Post by sea change » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:19 pm

ahduth wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:Lol. Weak troll is weak.
And strong troll is strong.

I should maybe defer a year and just take the LSAT 4 times.
Yah, do it! Follow your bliss (assuming I'm reading you correctly. If not please feel free to correct. Or if so -- please feel free to expand!)

Everyone just go ahead and tell, is my general gist at the moment.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:20 pm

Aaand this proves it.

sea change

New

Post by sea change » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:59 pm

citykitty wrote:I really like studying for the LSAT too. It makes me happy. It's so concrete; it's like doing math problems. The answer is either wrong or right. It's so much more satisfying than writing analytical papers IMO.
Yeah, exactly -- it's weird and impressive that at least so far it's always turned out to be either wrong or right, definitively. I'm thinking specifically with regards to LR here. I'm used to thinking of language as basically (and totally, really) imprecise but this damn thing continues to prove me wrong, and kick my sorry ass in the process. I keep thinking for a second or two that I know better and then realizing that no, in actuality THEY know better. Humbling. And excellent!

Then again, THEY do just get to pick and choose the words as suits their fancy, after considering them (the words) for as long as they like. I guess perhaps the imprecision can pretty easily be eliminated under such conditions. Then again that makes the imprecision not inherent. I thnik. Jesus I originally typed thik -- couldn't even correct it properly. OY my subconscious! Bluh.

I wish I could get a look at their trash can.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ssushi

New

Post by Ssushi » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:04 pm

Please expand upon this. I was under the assumption that much of what you did in law school would be employing LSAT like skills in a more complex environment.

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:32 pm

sea change wrote:
Please elaborate. (PLEASE! We all (or at the very least I) want and/or need to hear the details on this. Many thanks!)
Let me clarify: I do not regret going to law school. I generally enjoyed aspects of law school other than the work. You meet smart and interesting people. Even the work is not very hard or terrible. I just didn't enjoy learning massive amounts of boring material in order to vomit it out on a short exam at the end. Nor did I enjoy learning a moderate amount of boring material to discuss in class that day. I'd say doctrinal law school classes are like a semester-long hot dog eating contest. Some people seem to enjoy it, probably because they are good at the "fake it till you make it" process -- a concept you should learn about if you are entering the legal profession. Intellectual curiosity is largely irrelevant, because your intellectual curiosity in tax or securities regulation could be satisfied in one good short lecture. 1L classes can be pretty interesting, especially because you are new to the law, but the pace of the classes will easily outstrip your intellectual appetite. Seminars can be better in this respect.

The basic reason I liked law school perhaps less than average is that I wasn't motivated by the law school education system. It always felt contrived to me, and I was usually attracted to putting in the least effort necessary. This is just a personal thing.

The correct way to approach law school, as you've probably heard, is to treat it like a job. If you can look at it this way, law school is actually pretty easy and even enjoyable and interesting as far as jobs go. The slight problem, of course, is that in reality it is not a job. You're paying huge sums of money to be there, not getting paid. In fact, you don't even know if you are going to get paid well eventually if your job prospects are uncertain like they are for most students - but that's a whole different topic.

For what it's worth, I like practicing law much better than law school work. It has real world meaning and it actually matters to a client. It is a useful learning experience. You are getting paid rather than paying. The only problem is that in practice you now have twice as much work to do as you did in law school. So you might as well enjoy law school while you're there.

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:49 pm

Ssushi wrote:
Please expand upon this. I was under the assumption that much of what you did in law school would be employing LSAT like skills in a more complex environment.
Sure, the LSAT very roughly tests for skill/ability that is related to law school exam-taking. But that doesn't mean that law school is anything like taking the LSAT. It's not. If you want a really rough analogy, imagine that your law school class is an entire semester of learning the rules of a logic game. There are hundreds of rules that you have decipher from the text. You have to memorize and internalize these rules and practice applying them. Then on test day for three hours you actually answer the logic game questions. This is a rough analogy and it's not exactly like this, but you get the idea of how the experience might be totally different even though it uses some of the same skills.

On top of this, the LSAT doesn't even really test all of the skills of law school very well. The statistical correlation between LSAT score and law school grades is really quite weak. There are plenty of people with <25th percentile LSAT scores and great grades and people with >75th percentile scores and poor grades. The LSAT is the best objective predictor of law school performance available, but that doesn't mean it's a very good predictor. Imagine using height as a predictor for basketball skill. It would have some correlation, but if you just took the tallest people would it really be a good predictor of basketball skill? This is an extreme analogy but you get the point.

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:50 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Image
This.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”