memorizing lg rules?

BillsFan9907

memorizing lg rules?

Postby BillsFan9907 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:08 pm

The Powerscore Bible says to read the rules through first, memorize them, and then write them out.

Is this realistic to read them once, memorize them, and then write them out without looking at them again?

I'm trying to determine if I badly need to work on my short term memory because I can't do this.

tomwatts

Re: memorizing lg rules?

Postby tomwatts » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:22 pm

That sounds like a terrible, terrible idea (and not just one that I have aesthetic problems with, but one that I have more fundamental problems with). Read them, write them out, hopefully have a pretty good idea what they are, but don't ever try to memorize them. The whole point of symbolizing them is that you can then quickly and easily refer to your symbols (frequently) as you work the questions.

I definitely don't memorize anything, and if I did, I would get a bunch of questions wrong.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:24 pm

Seoulless wrote:The Powerscore Bible says to read the rules through first, memorize them, and then write them out.

Is this realistic to read them once, memorize them, and then write them out without looking at them again?

I'm trying to determine if I badly need to work on my short term memory because I can't do this.

Like actually memorize the rules of a game? I was under the impression the point of diagramming the rules of a game is so you glance at them and get all the info you need, instead of re-reading or memorizing. So instead of having to read and re-read something like...
"A is immediately before B, and C is sometime after B"

you can just see

"(AB)--->C" and get all the information you need.

I'm far from many of the LSAT pros on here, but I gotta say, memorizing and rewriting the rules sounds like a really counterproductive plan.

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:50 pm

I don't think memorizing is necessary because it takes too much time and it's unrealistic but I usually make a 'mental note' of what variants are specifically mentioned in the rules and which ones 'unrestricted' but as to memorize the rules goes, isn't that the point of the diagram?

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:09 pm

I try to memorize key variables, ones that are tightly restricted and seem to control placement of other variables. I don't think many people can effectively memorize five or six rules. People who can likely don't need a book to teach them lg strategies.

youarereadingthis

Postby youarereadingthis » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:10 pm

I know a guy with a 178 who would diagram everything in his head. He never misses LG questions... ever. He is a LG freak of nature.

But for the rest of us, this really isn't the way to go. Deduce and diagram after notating all of the rules and refer to your work.

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:35 pm

suspicious android wrote:I try to memorize key variables, ones that are tightly restricted and seem to control placement of other variables. I don't think many people can effectively memorize five or six rules. People who can likely don't need a book to teach them lg strategies.

This is what I do as well.

OnlyLivingBoyinNY

Postby OnlyLivingBoyinNY » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:40 pm

The LG Bible, if I am reading the part you are referencing, doesn't actually say to memorize the rules. What the book says is to "read the rules and fix them in your mind." To me, this doesn't mean the same thing as memorizing each rule. Rather, you should look at the rules and try to understand them as you read them, so that you can correctly diagram and make inferences based on the rules given.

For instance, a rule that states G if and only if B would be internalized by noting to your self that G and B must be selected or not selected together. The book isn't telling you that you should be able to recount each rule after reading through them.

tehrocstar

Postby tehrocstar » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:50 pm

OnlyLivingBoyinNY wrote:The LG Bible, if I am reading the part you are referencing, doesn't actually say to memorize the rules. What the book says is to "read the rules and fix them in your mind." To me, this doesn't mean the same thing as memorizing each rule. Rather, you should look at the rules and try to understand them as you read them, so that you can correctly diagram and make inferences based on the rules given.

For instance, a rule that states G if and only if B would be internalized by noting to your self that G and B must be selected or not selected together. The book isn't telling you that you should be able to recount each rule after reading through them.

+1

Yeah it doesn't say to memorize them, it says to fix them in your mind. This is so that you can better draw inferences when new constraints are introduced in 'local' game. It is generally good advice, but definitely don't memorize them, that is a waste of time.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:16 pm

youarereadingthis wrote:I know a guy with a 178 who would diagram everything in his head. He never misses LG questions... ever. He is a LG freak of nature.

But for the rest of us, this really isn't the way to go. Deduce and diagram after notating all of the rules and refer to your work.

The Rain Man method works if you have that 'gift'. However, if you can naturally do it that way there is a probability of institutionalized/custodial care and weird hard core psych meds in your future, or at the very least lots of social awkwardness and the occasional desire to wear a foil hat.

For the rest of us, we write the stuff out and make a diagram to use as the reference to look at and work from.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:24 pm

When I do LSAT games, I prefer to use my brain as little as possible. Memorizing stuff severely conflicts with that.

youarereadingthis

Postby youarereadingthis » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:10 am

OnlyLivingBoyinNY wrote:The LG Bible, if I am reading the part you are referencing, doesn't actually say to memorize the rules. What the book says is to "read the rules and fix them in your mind." To me, this doesn't mean the same thing as memorizing each rule. Rather, you should look at the rules and try to understand them as you read them, so that you can correctly diagram and make inferences based on the rules given.

FLAW! In your example, B can still be selected without G.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:04 am

youarereadingthis wrote:

FLAW! In your example, B can still be selected without G.

Incorrect! Your response contains the flawed reasoning.

--ImageRemoved--

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:54 am

youarereadingthis wrote:FLAW! In your example, B can still be selected without G.

You are not ready.

youarereadingthis

Postby youarereadingthis » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:58 am

Ah shit. I read that wrong. I feel like an ass.

*facepalm, head desk, feeling sheepish*

My bad. :oops:
Last edited by youarereadingthis on Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:00 am

youarereadingthis wrote:Ah shit. I read that wrong. I feel like an ass.

You owned up to it though, no loss of respect in my book.

Curry

Postby Curry » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:12 am

Memorizing the rules is a good thing if you can do it efficiently. If you can read something, diagram it in your head, remember that A-->B, and write it down, you really shouldn't have to look back at the rules every time it comes up. If you can remember that and put it into use when you get to a question, it saves you the couple seconds oh having to look back.

I spent one day doing games completely in my head. Took about 30 minutes a game but I memorized the rules, memorized my setup, memorized everything. After that day, I didn't have a hard time remembering rules simply because I knew how to get them to stick in my head. That process saved me a lot of time.

The long story short is, don't memorize the rule if it takes you 4 minutes to memorize each one. If you can do it in 3-5 seconds and maintain its presence in your head, it saves you time in the long run, makes you less likely to make diagramming mistakes, and will help your intuition when deciding between choices.

OnlyLivingBoyinNY

Postby OnlyLivingBoyinNY » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:49 am

Haha! I just had a really good laugh about those pictures above

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:32 pm

suspicious android wrote:

OnlyLivingBoyinNY

Postby OnlyLivingBoyinNY » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:19 am

EarlCat wrote:
suspicious android wrote:

yea, no harm no foul. we're all trying to do the same thing on here

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:33 am

It's difficult enough taking an actual LSAT not to snap your pencil in half like the incredible hulk in frustration on a tough game (dinos anyone?) let alone memorize the rules. Never, ever, do that.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”