Final retake: June vs. October

BigBlueLaw

Final retake: June vs. October

Postby BigBlueLaw » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:55 am

Please help. I have a dilemma on my hands. I'm at odds with myself over whether I should take the LSAT this June or in October. I've heard the pros and cons to each many times. However, this would be my last time sitting for this dreadful exam, so a retake in December isn't even a factor in my decision. Is there THAT much of an advantage in applying September 1st as opposed to October 26th? My apps have all been completed so I would submit as soon as I get the score in October. Is there any difference in scholarship money (hoping I get any)? I took the test in December and applied to a bunch of schools this cycle, in which I have been waitlisted at 8 schools (I am not optimistic about any of them, especially since I would most likely have to pay sticker), accepted at 2 that I wasn't even going to consider and denied at 4 in the T14. Other factors in my situation: the fact that every test center within an hour driving distance from me is booked for June, the test is 10 weeks away and I only started studying again a couple of days ago (I haven't looked at anything LSAT since December and I don't know if that'll be enough time to make a big enough jump), a coworker is going on maternity leave for about 6 weeks in mid-April which would leave me with a much bigger workload to deal with in that time, and lastly I am also training for the marathon which gives me even less time to study. I have been out of undergrad for a year now and I really don't want to study over the summer but I am willing to if I really have to. Any ideas?

BigBlueLaw

Re: Final retake: June vs. October

Postby BigBlueLaw » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:00 pm

Also: How do fee waivers work the second time around? I know I received a bunch of them right away and another bunch a month or two after my score came in. Can I get a fee waiver after I apply to one of these schools? If I ask them as soon as I get my score but submit my apps anyway, could I still get one?

hurldes

Postby hurldes » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:07 pm

it sounds like you could use the extra time and retake in october. That seems like what you want to do too. My advice is to buy all the preptests you haven't taken yet and schedule them out beginning right after your marathon all the way up to a week before the october test. You'll be set.

youarereadingthis

Postby youarereadingthis » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:32 pm

The advantage of a higher score (even by 1 point) outweighs any advantage of applying September 1 if you send your apps in October.

Kurst

Postby Kurst » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:16 pm

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:10 am

This really seems like a long post asking us to confirm what you have already decided. So I'll do that.

Take it later. It seems that you're extremely busy between now and the June test. If you increase your score more in October than you would have in June, it's worth the postponement. Just be sure that everything's ready to go when October scores are released (which they should be, since you've already applied).

Also, make sure that your score is different enough for them to seriously reconsider you. Unless something else in your application package is changing (which would also be something to pursue), +1 probably won't do much for you.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:34 am

from what you're saying, you're Oct material. Although, if i were you, i'd quit the marathon training, quit the job (or take a personal super emergency leave until June) and study your ass off. Then get the job back (or a diff one), get a summer of fun (not miserable studying) and a chance to submit the apps at the earliest possible time. Everybody gets a car!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”