Writing Sample Failure Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Proper Response?

Option A: Retake!
12%
Option B: Addendum.
8%
Option C: Panic/Do Nothing...
27%
Option D: Not Worth Thinking About.
54%

Total votes: 104

SpoonForkSpork

New

Writing Sample Failure

Post by SpoonForkSpork » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:35 am

Edit: Now on page 3.
Last edited by SpoonForkSpork on Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

fatduck

Gold

Re: Writing Sample Failure

Post by fatduck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:40 am

don't worry about it. you wrote an essay. hopefully the pic gets some lols.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:50 am

Please update us on how your cycle goes. I'm interested in whether or not this screws you. I think most people would be guessing if they gave you a definitive answer either way.

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:22 am

Even if you retake, that writing sample will still be in your file. Every admission officer will see it, there is no way out of that. Try to mitigate the effects, somehow. Good luck.

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:55 am

SpoonForkSpork wrote:it is just a simplified depiction of my essay (that is, mountains and a dude climbing).
Alas, other than a sentence or two saying something like "this is a picture of my essay" and "pick option two", the drawing takes up most of the second page.
And Farlowe got hit by lightning (dangerous weather on the slopes) in one of the scenarios.
There is nothing wrong with visually working things out. For it to take up most of the second page though humors me. I really don't see this being a huge problem, unless the schools you applied to are simply looking for reasons to reject you.

Panic and do nothing I guess. :?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:52 am

The post deserves a nomination for the TLS hall of fame. LMFAO

In case the thread isn't just for $hits and giggles (fat chance!): If you not only wrote out a decipherable and reasoned argument for the option you went with, but also in the allotted time drew visual aids (without penises) to illustrate your argument and why your choice was better than the other along with having a mid 170's score, I see nothing to have to make excuses for in your applications (other than for thinking about penises and unicorns while taking the LSAT). In fact it could be something worthy of an award of some type. The instructions don't prohibit including illustrations/visual diagrams in the allotted space.

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:31 am

Seriously though... as if we all didn't already have enough things to worry about during the admissions process... :lol:

SpoonForkSpork

New

Post by SpoonForkSpork » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:42 am

...-ish.
Last edited by SpoonForkSpork on Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:11 am

LOL

I've never seen someone piss away CCN numbers more idiotically.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

510Chicken

New

Post by 510Chicken » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:32 pm

sundance95 wrote:Please update us on how your cycle goes. I'm interested in whether or not this screws you. I think most people would be guessing if they gave you a definitive answer either way.
Fortunately, mass speculation is a time honored internet tradition.

minnesotasam

New

Post by minnesotasam » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:39 pm

I think the best option is c).

My bigger concern is that it sounds like you may have advocated ascending the single peak and not going for the route that allowed for the possibility of two!

ams

New

Post by ams » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:54 pm

This user has two posts...I'm a bit suspicious. But anyway, if you didn't apply until after the February LSAT, I think the late app would hurt you more than the drawing.

mac35352

Bronze

Post by mac35352 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:23 am

ams wrote:This user has two posts...I'm a bit suspicious. But anyway, if you didn't apply until after the February LSAT, I think the late app would hurt you more than the drawing.
I saw that too but then I thought maybe is a regular poster hiding its real "TLS identity".

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:27 am

I actually applied with a large drawing included on my essay, a rather comical one at that....think unicorns. Cycle went fine.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:29 am

I don't think the doodle will have any negative impact on the OP's chances. He completed the writing sample task according to the rules and added a little extra for entertainment in the remaining time on the second piece of paper. Wow, alert the press...

BTW, they used to only give one piece of paper for the writing sample response. LSAC started giving two pages when they tried out a new writing sample prompt type they were experimenting with a few years ago because it seemed to need more space to write about and they were also considering grading it. When LSAC canceled the new prompt type they left the increase of given writing space intact, thus leaving extra doodling space and time at the end of test day.

It's not like a misconduct situation. Many applicants that have to include addenda about criminal convictions or other types of officially documented misconduct situations that have stellar numbers get accepted to T1 law schools every year. I don't think adding an on topic doodle on the spare page in the remaining minutes qualifies as a ding to an otherwise accept.

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:47 am

Cupidity wrote:I actually applied with a large drawing included on my essay, a rather comical one at that....think unicorns. Cycle went fine.
I demand a screen shot!

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:52 am

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
Cupidity wrote:I actually applied with a large drawing included on my essay, a rather comical one at that....think unicorns. Cycle went fine.
I demand a screen shot!

+1. Actually lookin at the drawing may help speculation.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SpoonForkSpork

New

Post by SpoonForkSpork » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:23 pm

Last edited by SpoonForkSpork on Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:46 pm

Seriously, let us know how this goes. I think you may have actually had a first here... so go with it. Win or lose, you are legend.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:56 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
I demand a screen shot!
+1000

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:06 pm

With your awesome score and GPA, I would think adcomms would find your sense of humor endearing (I know I do). Nobody wants a law school full of uptight douches... People like variety... And it's not like you didn't write anything... My guess is, you'll be okay, but what do I know?

And, yes, screenshot or it didn't happen.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Henchman21

New

Post by Henchman21 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:10 pm

Ad coms everywhere are now looking for the writing sample with a drawing.

kublaikahn

Silver

Post by kublaikahn » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:12 pm

Last edited by kublaikahn on Tue May 17, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EarlCat

Silver

Post by EarlCat » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:21 pm

kublaikahn wrote:Write a PS about how you learned to slip subliminal messages into artwork admit me to get people to do whatever you desire.

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:05 pm

I spoke with someone not too long ago who wrote her LSAT essay about how she didn't feel like writing an essay after a 3 hour long test, and she is now attending NYU with $. I have no idea why the writing sample is there at all, honestly, it is a waste of time and adcomms seem to care less.

I think they should have you write your personal statement there though, and not ask for separate ones, that would really be a boon to us lazy people.

EDIT: Reading through again, I think the point of the essay is to insta-deny anyone who picked the one peak route, that shit is just stupid.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”