Trying to go from 162 to 170+, need some advice!

Trying to go from 162 to 170+, need some advice!

Postby DWinter18 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:25 pm

I first took the LSAT back in December '09. I honestly did not prepare that much for it, nor did I take any prep courses. I basically outsmarted myself after going through the SuperPrep book and thinking "Hey, this is not so bad." I took about 5 practice tests timed on my own, and was scoring around 165-168 on those. I felt great on test day, went for an early run, had some food, and thought the test wasn't so bad. Then when I saw the 162 I cried (jk).

I took a year off after that because I essentially had no shot at the law schools I was looking at with that score. Now I'm ready to take the LSAT again and have been studying for it for the past month and a half. I plan to take the June test, for a number of reasons, but I just wanted some feedback from the users here. I've already perused a number of threads and I gotta say, this site is really incredible in terms of the information that is available and the helpfulness of the site's users.

Basically, I've just been taking practice tests. I take one on a Monday night let's say, then I'll take Tuesday night to go over it, see what I got wrong and why, see which ones I had made a note of for their difficulty and why I got those correct, etc. I usually take 2-3 tests a week.
(Sidenote: I bought the 3 books of 10 tests each, so I have 30 tests in total I plan to get through. Thing is, none of them have the experimental section included... I'm worried about that, since I want my endurance to be up to par on the actual test... what do I do?)

I have basically gotten RC and LG down pat, I usually only get 3-4 wrong across both of those. It's the logical reasoning that gets me. I usually get 4-5 wrong on both sections and that just leaves me out of 170 (I've been PT from 163-168).

So I'm about to order the PowerScore Bible for Logical Reasoning since that is my weakest area; I also realized that on all my PTs, the RC sections don't have a comparative section since that is fairly recent. I remember on the December '09 test, that threw me way off and my normally exceptional RC score suffered as a result. Should I also get the PowerScore RC book just to be safe and have something to study for that comparative section? The normal RC sections are usually a breeze for me, but I don't want to take any chances.

I guess overall what I'm asking is: is 2 months enough time to get from where I'm at to where I want to be? I would love 170+. I am gonna be doing something LSAT every day basically until June 7. I was also contemplating taking a Princeton Review LSAT Essentials Course from May 1 to May 26, leading right up to the test, but I'm concerned if it's worth it. As noted above, RC and LG are not really hard at all for me. It's just the logical reasoning. I feel in a class setting, I'd get so bored going over simple RC stuff (at least, simple to me, maybe not for others) I don't know if I would really benefit at all from it.

Also, I am Hispanic, and I am not banking on this, but apparently that gives a boost to your score (if you're an URM). Is this true? How much of a boost are we talking? Again, I am not banking on it at all, but I was curious.

I guess that's it. Just a little stressed because I really want to do well on the June test so I have the summer to party before I get my apps out. Thanks in advance for any and all responses!

Re: Trying to go from 162 to 170+, need some advice!

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:50 pm

1. Click on 'board index' and then in the lsat prep section browse through the topics, there are so many posts similar ot yours
2. take a diag now to know where you are. I recommend the Manhattan LR guide (helped me more than the bible). Don't take the course. 2 months can be enough if you do it right. Otherwise, wait for Oct after having done the guide and having PTed all summer. Hispanics do get a boost, so that's great, but forget about it and try to be 3-5 points on your PTs above the score you wanna get whenever you take the test.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”