Advice on making copies of practice tests

secretad

Advice on making copies of practice tests

Postby secretad » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:36 pm

I bought three of the official preptests that contain I suppose 30 tests in all.

Would it be a good idea to tear out all of the pages and make copies quicker? That way in the automatic feed tray because that is much faster than copying it one page at a time with it still being apart of the spine in the book.

A drawback would be that those pages would be loose and such.

What did you guys do when making copies? I have heard of it being advocated on here because you can go back through sections and not have to reerase.

Eichörnchen

Re: Advice on making copies of practice tests

Postby Eichörnchen » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:52 pm

secretad wrote:I bought three of the official preptests that contain I suppose 30 tests in all.

Would it be a good idea to tear out all of the pages and make copies quicker? That way in the automatic feed tray because that is much faster than copying it one page at a time with it still being apart of the spine in the book.

A drawback would be that those pages would be loose and such.

What did you guys do when making copies? I have heard of it being advocated on here because you can go back through sections and not have to reerase.

After realizing it took me 40 minutes to fully scan a PT page by page while in the books, I went to Kinkos and had them cut the binding ($1.50) and then ran it through a copier. You can have them rebound on spiral bindings and I think this is about five bucks. Well worth it! Make sure they cut the binding fully, I had a few pages stuck together and they went through the copier at once. That was kind of a pain but other than that it was very simple.

polevaulter

Postby polevaulter » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:32 pm

Don't take it to Staples...they won't let you make copies of prep tests.

ladybug89

Postby ladybug89 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:13 am

polevaulter wrote:Don't take it to Staples...they won't let you make copies of prep tests.

What? This is definitely not true of all of them because I copied mine at Staples (scan-style, for what it's worth. I have this irrational thing against ripping pages out of books. It actually didn't take that long.)

polevaulter

Postby polevaulter » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:50 pm

ladybug89 wrote:
polevaulter wrote:Don't take it to Staples...they won't let you make copies of prep tests.

What? This is definitely not true of all of them because I copied mine at Staples (scan-style, for what it's worth. I have this irrational thing against ripping pages out of books. It actually didn't take that long.)

Then you were lucky...It happened to me and I was so irritated with the clerk that told me no.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:56 pm

polevaulter wrote:
ladybug89 wrote:

Then you were lucky...It happened to me and I was so irritated with the clerk that told me no.

I had the same problem at Kinkos...whereas at Staples, i could do it myself much faster and with no questions asked (i guess if your kinkos has self-help copying machines, you can do it too).

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:07 pm

If someone were to purchase the PT books from LSAC and then downloaded them via torrent to have printable copies, would this still be illegal? Or is it the same idea of owning ROMs of video games you own being legal?

polevaulter

Postby polevaulter » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:46 pm

99.9luft wrote:
polevaulter wrote:
ladybug89 wrote:

I had the same problem at Kinkos...whereas at Staples, i could do it myself much faster and with no questions asked (i guess if your kinkos has self-help copying machines, you can do it too).

Did you just rip the papers out (neatly) and then copy?

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:06 pm

emarxnj wrote:If someone were to purchase the PT books from LSAC and then downloaded them via torrent to have printable copies, would this still be illegal? Or is it the same idea of owning ROMs of video games you own being legal?

No one touching this one?

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:57 pm

polevaulter wrote:

exactly. it took me a while (and it wasn't cheap). The best thing is to utilize your workplace's free printers/copiers, obviously.

emarxnj wrote:
emarxnj wrote:If someone were to purchase the PT books from LSAC and then downloaded them via torrent to have printable copies, would this still be illegal? Or is it the same idea of owning ROMs of video games you own being legal?

As someone who seeds and leeches passionately, I can't comment (my position's pretty clear). :mrgreen:

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:17 am

99.9luft wrote:
polevaulter wrote:

exactly. it took me a while (and it wasn't cheap). The best thing is to utilize your workplace's free printers/copiers, obviously.

emarxnj wrote:

As someone who seeds and leeches passionately, I can't comment (my position's pretty clear). :mrgreen:

It is pretty great...I read....in People.

OnlyLivingBoyinNY

Postby OnlyLivingBoyinNY » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:42 am

emarxnj wrote:It is pretty great...I read....in People.

I know a guy who bought all four LSAC books, and then got the pdfs because it was easier to make copies that way. He says it saves him a lot of time.

YaSvoboden

Postby YaSvoboden » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:05 pm

Completely agree with the pdf thing. I have copies of all of the tests through a prep company, but just printing out a new copy when you need one is worlds easier than scanning every page, not to mention a good amount cheaper for me.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”